Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie - ASTRA 1 at 19.2 and HOTBIRD at 13

• 12-11-2004 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi, newbie sat question, I found this on the net http://www.satonline.co.uk/shop/products.php?p=d236f3

For using both the above satellites with one dish, I am wondering if any one has any ideas about this, if it would be a good system and if the decoder was o.k. :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

get a twin CI so you can add cams.

for Astra1 and Hotbird, this is important.

all in all a good system. it's what i have. dual setup with a good cam will deliver about 500 channels.

there's no problem having two lnbs on one dish. Get 80cm size.

you will need somebody to install. it's probably beyond a diy level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

limpdd wrote:
    Hi, newbie sat question, I found this on the net http://www.satonline.co.uk/shop/products.php?p=d236f3

For using both the above satellites with one dish, I am wondering if any one has any ideas about this, if it would be a good system and if the decoder was o.k. :confused:

Thanks!

What do you want to watch???

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

"Pal", thanks for the advice

"Greenman", I am thinking of watching just about anything and I figure these sats will have a fairly o.k list of channels from what I see in mags and on the net. :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I suppose you've seen this Astra list!!! and this Hotbird list!!! Lots to see and some great radio so consider connecting the receiver to the hifi if you have one!!!
    If you do get set up let us know how you get on!!! :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Attention Limpdd

"Newbie - ASTRA 1 at 19.2 and HOTBIRD at 13"

I'm a newbie too and after getting help from the lads here I'm getting Astra 2at 28.2, Eurobird at 28.5, Astra 1 at 19 and hotbird at 13. All on a Lidl 80cm dish and 3 LNBs on a home made bracket. All working well. And I think there is a fifth sat up there within this arc if I put up a LNB number 4.
    All done fairly easily with as I say the help available here.

Attention PAL
    "get a twin CI so you can add cams.
    for Astra1 and Hotbird, this is important."
    Why ???

• Advertisement

The LIDL box does not have a common interface. that's the slot that a cam goes into.

You are therefore restricted to viewing FREE TO AIR (FTA) channels.

To view encrypted channels, you need a cam to allow the box to "understand" the applicable encryption.

Different cams handle different encryptions as not all broadcasters
    do things the same. Some cams understand lots of encryptions.
    Matrix is a popular choice.

(The SKY box has an NDS system cam built in so you don't see it)

You then insert a viewing card into the cam to "unscramble" the picture.

----

you should also be able to get Eutelsat2 @ 16e with another LNB

The viewing card would need to be subscription or else it's piracy and we cannot discuss this subject.

Pal wrote:
    The LIDL box does not have a common interface. that's the slot that a cam goes into.

You are therefore restricted to viewing FREE TO AIR (FTA) channels.

To view encrypted channels, you need a cam to allow the box to "understand" the applicable encryption.

Different cams handle different encryptions as not all broadcasters
    do things the same. Some cams understand lots of encryptions.
    Matrix is a popular choice.

(The SKY box has an NDS system cam built in so you don't see it)

You then insert a viewing card into the cam to "unscramble" the picture.

----

The viewing card would need to be subscription or else it's piracy and we cannot discuss this subject.

Thanks pal
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Allthough very tricky to squeeze one in on a bracket, even worse with Arabsat2 on 26°e :(

Ok Guys...I'm putting it up to ye....(hoping to save myself hours and hours of experimentation and frustation)
    You know my set-up. What you don't know is my Diseqc switch has a spare input left, I have a second 80cm black mesh dish.....so if I was to buy another LNB where should I point it ????? NO Rude comments....for biggest choice of tv stations either fta or pay with cammy thingy.

t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

tapest wrote:
    Ok Guys...I'm putting it up to ye....(hoping to save myself hours and hours of experimentation and frustation)
    You know my set-up. What you don't know is my Diseqc switch has a spare input left, I have a second 80cm black mesh dish.....so if I was to buy another LNB where should I point it ????? NO Rude comments....for biggest choice of tv stations either fta or pay with cammy thingy.

t

why not look at www.lyngsat.com and decide for yourself what you want

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Tony wrote:
    why not look at www.lyngsat.com and decide for yourself what you want

Hi again Tony,

I've been told that I'm a fairly clever guy....BUT....(and here's where the embarrassment starts) I've spent hours looking ay that site and am having difficulty in following / understanding all of it. The tp number is ok, guessing the 27500,or 22000 number apears in groups and thats why its listed only once for the first station on each tp.....But the rest of it....there are about 4 other numbers pid etc...I know its to get the right audio and video for each station, but some of these numbers wont fit when programming...either too many or too few digits. The reason I went there was that after getting sat / tp update or search I lost some video /audio.
    I have noticed a lot of repetition, ie same station on different sats
    Still I'll keep at it and who knows maybe the penny will eventually drop

So Tony Don't think too bad of me ....Not just laziness on my part.

Just program the transponder frequency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭inigo

The column headers in the lyngsat tables should match or at least be similar (also in the order, I think) to the parameters you find in the receiver's installation menu, when trying to install new channels. For some you need to enter numbers with the remote, for others just choose the right option. I still haven't got a clue of what they are or mean and I managed to install new channels that were not set up by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

To program a new transponder, you need to enter the frequency (eg 11.212), the polarity (H or V) and the Symbol Rate (SR eg 27500). On older receivers you also had to enter the FEC (Forward Error Correction eg 5/6), but nowadays most receivers have auto-FEC.

When you do the search, the receiver will find the other information (Vpid, APid and PCRpid etc) for each of the individual channels on that TP.

For a fuller explanation of SR, FEC, PID etc see here:
    http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/index.html#srfec

Zaphod wrote:
    For a fuller explanation of SR, FEC, PID etc see here:
    http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/index.html#srfec

Had a quick look..........I feel a migraine coming on
    Jeeeeeeeez Zaphoid That's like something you'd study for a degree

Anybody understand that bon the first pass ? If so go to top of class

Tnx , i think ..lol :D:D:D

bloody hell. there's a lot still to be learned !

I find the layout of www.satcodx.com to be clearer than lyngsat - you only need to enter the information in bold.

As a very basic explanation of the terms, assuming you already understand what the Frequency and polarity mean -

SR - essentially the data rate (think of kbps wrt modems) at which the TP is transmitting. So 27500 is a higher transmit rate than 22000. Roughly equivalent to bandwidth. All else being equal, the higher the data rate, the better the picture quality and the easier it is for the receiver to 'lock' onto it.

FEC - the amount of data given over to error correction. 1/2 means for every 2 bits of data transmitted, 1 is for the TV/Radio channel and 1 is for error correction. 5/6 means that for every 6 bits of data transmitted, 5 are for the TV/Radio channel, and 1 in 6 is for error correction. Essentially this means you'll need a larger dish for a channel with FEC 5/6 than one with 1/2, but the broadcaster can cram more channels onto the one TP with a higher FEC (less 'wasted' on error correction).

PID - the mpeg2 info is sent as packets, analogous to envelopes containing fragments of info. The PIDs are like the addresses on the envelopes - they tell the receiver where each packet goes. So if there are 4 channels sharing a TP, each of the 4 channels will have their own Video and Audio addresses (VPIDs and APIDs). When you are watching Channel 1, then the receiver will know to only intercept the packets with the VPIDs and APIDs with the correct addresses corresponding to Channel 1, and to disregard the others.

tapest wrote:
    Hi again Tony,

So Tony Don't think too bad of me ....Not just laziness on my part.

Did not think that. The only thing you have to look at is what satellite the channel is on and whether it is encrypted or not, dont worry about the other data for now

Zaphod wrote:
    I find the layout of www.satcodx.com to be clearer than lyngsat - you only need to enter the information in bold.

agreed, I should have suggested satco instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

And if their website doesn't help, go for their "World of satellites" programm on CD inside every tele-satellite mag. After Installation you simply put in your location and your setup and it will show you all the satellites(with channels) you can receive. There are plenty of filter options like free/encrypted, tv/radio, language ...
    In every T-S issue there will be the latest reg.key, so that you can use the update funktion. PM me for further infos. ;)

Advertisement