Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Primera - Any Opinions

Options
  • 12-11-2004 4:18pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Anyone any opinions on the Nissan Primera.My father is looking at a 00 Primera, 1.6 Petrol.

Anyone any experience with this car??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never been in one but by all acounts they are solid with good ride/handling character. I supect they are bullet-proof as regardes electrics and oily bits.

Some reviews of said model

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Nissan_Primera_1_6__79474/TabId/2

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/user_reviews/readReviews.aspx?deriv=17789&model=620&id=13642

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/user_reviews/readReviews.aspx?model_id=602

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got two (me and partner) a 96 1.6 and 98 1.6 just watch for front suspension noises you get a squeaking from the top links on the front and they need replacing it'll cost about 300 yoyo's for both from nissan dealer lot less independant (in fact you can the complete linkage in the uk for 25stg each side. apart from that the 1.6 is bit underpowered for the size of body but expect 40-50mpg depending on driving style, i would hev preferred the 2.0l but the tax was more than i could take
    have a look at www.nissanprimera.net as well.
    i actually think its one of the most underated cars around - mind you i just got rid of an 88 corolla so what do i know.
    they've also got a cam chain instaed of a belt so you should have no probs there. had an alternator go on the old one but thats it apart from aforemnetioned top links. the two cars have 127000 and 111000 on them and drive like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I had a '95 1.6 for nearly 3 years (67k miles on it when I sold it in early 2001)

First of all, NO Japanese family size car has ever been good looking ;)

The ride / handling were remarkably good and the engine was pretty responsive for a 1.6 resulting in very acceptable performance, better than (almost) any other similar 1.6 car. It's a pleasure to drive. Mine was also loaded with extras and leccy everything (UK import)
    mike65 wrote:
    they are solid with good ride/handling character. I supect they are bullet-proof as regardes electrics and oily bits

That's what I expected, but not what I got. I've convinced myself the reason is the car is built in the UK, not in Japan

I did not have major problems, but battery (twice), alternator, starter motor and more expensive CV joints had to be replaced. On a car that age with full main stealer service history it is normal, but I'm not impressed

Overall my experience was a happy one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I have a 00 1.8L Primera for just over a year and a half now I actually like it as a car and like the look of it I think you really need a 1.8 engine though as when I bought mine I could have had a 1.6 and it felt sluggish, the fuel consumption shouldn't be too much heavier on a 1.8 as the engine does not have to work as hard.

the only real criticism I have are that inside the plastics look a bit bland after a while, and the turning circle on the car should really be much smaller as its very wide. apart from that its a great car and I got great service from the Nissan Dealer they where nice courteous and actually had my car ready when they told me they would, the servicing was reasonable and they even called me alter to tell me that they had overcharge me by €7 and refunded it straight away because of an error in there computer system, which to me was like a breath of fresh air from my years dealing with a ford dealer.

Advertisement