Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1

Options
  • 12-11-2004 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This thread is in travel/Holidays but I thought it might get some replies here too.

Im going on the J1 with a few friends this summer. Im just wondering where people would recommend I go? I was thinking about new york or san francisco but maybe it would be better to stay out of the cities? Any other advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I didn't think much of New York. It was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there for a whole summer. Boston is a fantastic city though, I definitely plan on heading back over there again. Wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

are they strict on id in boston?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Extremely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

sikes wrote:
    are they strict on id in boston?

Theyre strict pretty much everywhere really :(

Me and a group are thinking somewhere on the west coast. Anyone got any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I was in san diego last year and it was absolutely unreal, you'll have no bother at all getting a job there. Accomadation will be tough to find after last summer i'd say. Going clubbing/pubs is out of the question unless you have a fake id and the cops will give you a citation if they catch you drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

I was thinking about either going on J1 or on a working holiday to Canada for the summer... Had a look on the USIT website, not much info on Canada, but Maui looks cool - it's kinda remote, but probably a great place to live. Only problems are a) the cost of the flight over and b) not being able to properly travel america (since you'd have to pay a fortune for internal flights). Anybody know of good websites about either the J1 or the Canada visas? Tried googling, but it's a bit hit and miss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bobbyorio

Hi can you please let me know where you would recommend to stay in San Diego. Will be about 6 or 7 on J1(2 girls). We are all over 21 so would you recommend trying to get a job in Sea World or can you get jobs in bars easily. We need to save money for a eoad trip in September.

Any help would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

do not get a job in seaworld unless you really have to. pay is crap and the work is sh*t.

give the bars in a downtown a try. failing that there are loads of malls slightly outside the main city on the trolley line mission and fashion valley aswell as hotels. girls get jobs quicker than guys and since the j1 numbers are down this year you should get something easy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

The Bahia and Catamaran hotels will take lots of irish people on, and you could try the other hotels around the place. Seaworld pay is absolutely fantastic if you get employed as a server in dining with shamu, otherwise it's kinda crap. Finding somewhere to stay is the problem as no one will want to take irish people again probably

Advertisement