Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom rejected me... what else is there?

• 12-11-2004 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

hey, just got a phone line installed from eircom 2 weeks ago today.
    went to order bb from eircom through 3G in clonmel,
    they denied it cos there was no info on the number.
    its a new number...
    so i rang eircom.
    typical eircom girl on the phone... sounded nice and all.
    sorry cant comment on that mr jenkins...
    we cant put broadband on, but i will run a test on you line. call again in 7 days...

waitied the 7 days...
    called after the 7 days.
    rejected. complete line failure.
    not sure why they wont tell me...
    i asked for a manager, and he said the same thing.

ok fine... no bb with eircom...

anyone else able to suggest anything i can go with? esat?
    ntl?

cheers lads.

esat bt web site =
    Please Enter The Phone Number This Order Applies To

Sorry, based on the information you entered IOL Broadband is not available to your address at the moment. In the meantime, we recommend you consider our Flat Rate Internet Access Product, IOL Anytime, as an alternative service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

In Clonmel NTL won't be of any use, they're in limited parts of Dublin only...

Are Esat reliant on Eircom exchanges, or do they have their own? If they are, you'll be damned into having to look into a satellite option, or something similar...

Anyway, call Eircom again, and this time ask for the crowd that service the lines. We did that here having been failed by the broadband group, and they found out that there was an error in one of the connector boxes along the way that was causing a small noise on the line. If they manage to do anything, the next problem is that they don't seem to share information in Eircom at all, and you'll have to wait for the broadband crowd to run their next series of line tests along your line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

ouch.. i was thinking of satellite with dgiweb, but the cost of installation is too much.
    i dont want to go isdn... im sure ye know why :-P
    same with dial up... its pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Esat use Eircom's exchanges, so that's no use.

Eircom are obligated to do a re-test for you. I had been granted, and then when I went to order, it said no. Called them up, they said that sometimes the test gives falso negatives, so ordered a free re-test for me.

Try it - it can't hurt

hmmmm suppose it wont hurt.
    anyone know the direct number for them?
    i gotta call off a mobile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

not sure why they wont tell me...
    i asked for a manager, and he said the same thing.
    I got the same unhelpful non-answers from eircom when I got my line checked last year.
    I complained to ComReg who got some eircom guy to call me. He was even less helpful - I eventually had to hang up on him because he was so frustrating.

In a way I got lucky - a friend works at eircom and was able to check my line. He found that the db loss was too high. Later, after more work (story too annoying to tell), I found that the main cable between my estate and the exchange would not support DSL. Even contacting Esat's CEO (my wife's company does big business with Esat) didn't help - they reported back that eircom were very unhelpful to them.
    Even when I was interviewed on TV about it, it didn't help. They don't care.

Sorry, am I painting a gloomy picture?

• Advertisement

well.. yeah.. gloomy picture there :D

but your encouraging me to go further with it..
    i work for aol tech support in waterford.
    we deal with bt and ntl on an on going basis....
    and i deal with people asking for supervisors, irate over nothing, house moving forms, etc...

hopefully my Db level wont be too high.. lowering that takes too long with eircom.
    the line going to the exchange supports bb fine, cos 3 of my direct neighbours have bb with eircom.
    and 4 other's in the estate have esat bb.

so i dont see any problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Do you have chorus TV in your part of Clonmel? if you do then you maybe in luck coz they supply cable broadband there as far as I know. Call em and see if they will serve you. If they do count yourself lucky.

mrblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

and get rid of the Eircom line . The cost of Chorus BB is less than line rental + dsl

Serves Eircom right for splitting your line (probably) and making it unusable for BB

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mancman

Eircom are obligated to do a re-test for you. I had been granted, and then when I went to order, it said no. Called them up, they said that sometimes the test gives falso negatives, so ordered a free re-test for me.

I'll bet the free test is a simple process - user is entitled to a 'free' test.

Eircom engineer shouts to his mate: 'This guys entitled to a free re-test!..I think its your turn to flip the coin!"

Don't edny it...if your an eircom engineer...I fuppin dare ya :)
    Serves Eircom right for splitting your line (probably) and making it unusable for BB

So true in ROI...you guys defo get stroked big time when it comes to your phone network.

IN all honesty, despite what NTL lost buying your (sheeite) cable lines, they could actually re-lay them at 100% profit and have 100% broadband in ROI on a cable network in 3 years (approx) if they don't use eircom engineers that is lol ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I was failing the line tests until a few months ago, was highly frustrating because I had bb years ago and knew it was possible for me to get it, notwithstanding people all around me with broadband :)

Turns out, that with those "Line Tests", it's pretty much pointless getting more than one test done a month. There's only an actual test every month or so. Everytime there's a query for a "line test", for any provider, all it does it query a database of tests that eircom did.

Unless you know an eircom engineer and get him to do the test for you, you're not going to have much luck. I had to unplug all the phones in my house and then get a real retest before I passed :p .

• Advertisement
Advertisement