Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush expresses full support for Palestinian State

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I understand that. You understand that. But that has got very little to do with the question. The remark was

"Of course if Bush truly wanted a peace settlement he could have it in five minutes. Tell Sharon he has to pay for his own attack helicopters from now on and they'd pull out "in a jiffy"."

Which is in relation to their military, which would be capable of fighting on without US support. Sure it would be harder for them, but I'd guess that they'd take a more hardline approach than ever.

I disagree, because every dollar you aren't spending on the military is a dollar that is going to some other aspect of your economy. Pull out that subsidy and the economy tanks. Now if you think pulling out a few fundamentalists freaks from Gaza is political suicide on Sharon's part.....

1948, since Israel's recreation.

The whole idiotic idea of creating Israel was an American initiative backed by yours respectively.

Okies. Well you're looking at the PLO and hoping that they'll turn peaceful. I'm looking at the IDF and hoping the same. I'm cynical abt Palestinian groups actually wanting peace, just as you're cynical abt Israel wanting peace.

But there's a big difference between the IDF and the PLO now isn't there. One was and is and has never been occupied by the other.
    So who do you think should blink first?
    I'm cynical about Israel wanting peace because they've never made a good faith effort, unlike some of the most radical militant Palestinian resistance groups.
    But whichever way you look at it, the first steps have been made. And that deserves some credibility.

I can't disagree more. Pulling out of one occupied territory just to settle the majority of another (whilst daily killing innocent Palestinians)...too me just isn't acceptable nor a step toward peace in any logical sense.

The occasional suicide bomber.. Not all attacks are made by suicide bombers.

Either way Palestinians are killed daily....Israelis aren't anywhere near that deadly sum.

And the IDF personally kill at least 1 Palestinian every single day? Really. Care to support that with any hard facts?

Do the math
    However, don't blind yourself to the idea that Palestinian forces are any better to either Israeli people or their own people.

I'm not blinded by the atrocities carried out by suicide bombers either. But I understand that in a situation where a brutally occupied people face a well equipped and trained military (backed by the world's superpower), the civilians of that power are going to suffer. That's reality and that isn't going to change unless the occupying power comes to it' senses and rectifies the situation.
    If Israel stops....so will suicide bombs. It's happened before.

Where did you get this info? Got any links?

http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/people3/Hass/hass-con4.html

http://www.israelinsider.com/channels/security/articles/sec_0049.htm

"Since the signing of the Oslo Agreements in 1993, Palestinian terrorist organizations have sent more than 70 suicide bombers on missions against Israeli targets. "

You didn't. Your language structure made it sound like you did. My apologies.

Accepted. Apologies for bad sentence structure. :)

Occupier, definetly. Goes without saying.
    Aggressor, tricky one. There's been a fair share of encouragement made by the PLO and the IDF to keep this war going. Israeli forces "responding" to Pleatinian attacks, and Palestinian forces attacking Israeli positions in a fight for their freedom.

Israel is quite obviously the aggressor, ever since 1948. Are the PLO trying to keep this going...I hardly think so when the IDF also target their infrastructure and police stations that contain the very "terrorists" Sharon wanted Arafat to reign in (which suggests to me which side truly wants to keep this going).
    Is that to say that the PLO are a bunch of altruistic angels that treat their people like kings....hardly...and I've never implied that. But the PLO (at the moment at least ) are the elected representatives of the Palestinian people and therefore the ONLY "partner" to peace.
    Aggressor, I dunno which is worse. Israel for occupying an enemy for 60 years, or Palestinian forces for fighting the way they do.

I don't see how the two are comparable. In my POV the one who invades and occupies is the reaper of all wether you agree with the tactics of the occupied or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭PaulHughesWH

It'll undoubtedly be a complete sham of a Palestinian state forever lorded over by the illegal Jewish state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

:mad: :mad: With no real skill, all the middle east problems of today can be traced back to either the creation of isreal or its influence since then, No arguing, its a fact

bull****. thats an opinion, not a fact.

The Arab factions/states were fighting each other and the British empire before Israel came along. Hence the reason why Arab mercenaries were valued so highly for centuries.

Advertisement