Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LT and LV reg cars

• 12-11-2004 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    Whats with all the Lativian and Luthianian reg cars in the country recently?? I noticed absolutley loads around the place. Is there some cheap source over there as they all seem to be BMW or some half decent car!!! Long bloody drive tho!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

BMW's and Audi's from my experience. There has been a huge influx of workers coming in from Latvia and Lithuania especially since they joined the englarged EU back in May and they are all shipping their motors over them but of course forgetting to register with Revenue and pay the VRT :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Highlander wrote:
    but of course forgetting to register with Revenue and pay the VRT :rolleyes:
    VRT doesn't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

actually if they plan to stay longer than 6 months VRT does apply at they legally have to re register in IRL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

gibo_ie wrote:
    actually if they plan to stay longer than 6 months VRT does apply at they legally have to re register in IRL!!
    Still doesn't apply if they've owned their vehicle abroad for more than six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gibo_ie wrote:
    3 months and it would only need to be re-registered, no VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Is insurance higher for LHD cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I noticed that too coming to and from Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html
    Insurance is probably higher for non-standard cars but as we don't have access to the insurance companys details we cannot know how much of a loading is on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nuttzz wrote:
    Hibernian have a 10% loading AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Audis and BMWs? Most of the one's I've seen have been wrecks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Audis and BMWs? Most of the one's I've seen have been wrecks.

Yeah, have seen a lot these cars (particularly Lithuanian) around Cork. Most seem to be BMWs; have rarely seen a wreck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Nuttzz wrote:

What makes you think any of them have insurance?

Pesonally I doubt if they were all driven from Latvia or wherever. It would make more sense to get a train to France with a set of Latvian plates in your suitcase. Steal a car. Stick the plates on it. Then waltz past our immigration and customs. Then drive untill you crash into some poor bástard, jump out of the car and run like fúck. That seems to be the modus operandi at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mosgof

Hagar wrote:
    What makes you think any of them have insurance?

Pesonally I doubt if they were all driven from Latvia or wherever. It would make more sense to get a train to France with a set of Latvian plates in your suitcase. Steal a car. Stick the plates on it. Then waltz past our immigration and customs. Then drive untill you crash into some poor bástard, jump out of the car and run like fúck. That seems to be the modus operandi at the moment.

and how did you work this out, I doubt you even know of one case of this happening,

sounds pretty racist to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't accuse me of being a racist. That's a pretty serious personal accusation.

A well publicised incident -- last week an "eastern european" registered Scorpio mounted a footpath and injured a father and young child who he had just lifted from the pram. The pram was mangled. The driver of the car just got out and ran away. To date he has not been traced.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

Hagar, I like it.
    (Racist? jeeze everyting these days is "racist")

anyway...
    Its a long way to bring a car, really is strange.
    maybe they are smuggling contraband like cigarettes, I would say many bring in cigs due to the big difference in price. Who knows....

Interesting though,

There is postive effects to globalistation eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Yup & every last one of em (I include ALL non-nationbally registered cars in this!) are robbibng the exchequer of road tax. They should ABOLISH road tax & include it into petrol/diesel prices as per the USA. The more you use, the more you pay, which I think is fair & equitable.

Yes - you'll have business stating it'll hurt them - no it won't. It'll be a reclaimable tax just like VAT is on fuel for them... only those who don't register a/c's or are doing shady business will truly complain!!!!

Add into the fact their insurance probably doesn't cover them to drive here, so if you have an accident involving them - you could be shagged. There is a reckoning that less than 5% of non-irish registered cars from mainland Europe that are on our roads have adequate insurance cover for driving here.

It's about time that this issue was addressed, & it is not a racial issue as some would like you to believe - it's about ensuring that in the event of accidents, things are addressed properly so our own insurance companies don't use it as a further excuse to royally **** us more than they already do!

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hagar wrote:
    Don't accuse me of being a racist. That's a pretty serious personal accusation.

A well publicised incident -- last week an "eastern european" registered Scorpio mounted a footpath and injured a father and young child who he had just lifted from the pram. The pram was mangled. The driver of the car just got out and ran away. To date he has not been traced.

Similar thing happened to my brother. Guy just drove straight out in front of him on a main road, totalled both cars. My brother looked up after his shock to see the bloke getting out of his car and legging it. Didn't catch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Similar thing happened to my brother. Guy just drove straight out in front of him on a main road, totalled both cars. My brother looked up after his shock to see the bloke getting out of his car and legging it. Didn't catch him

Gerry Ryan done a thing about this a couple of months ago... In the space of an hour he had about 50 calls from people who had been in accidents with cars that where fairly old/clapped out.. When they got out to swap insurance details the driver of the banger done a legger... For some reason a lot of the incidents happened out in the D15 area.

Advertisement