Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets write a non spam and muppet story! - Discussion

Options
  • 31-05-2001 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I think it would be handy to have a separate thread to discuss the story ( http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum13/HTML/000345.html ), so as not to disturb it's (ahem) flow.

And the first thing I'd like to discuss is in this thread is... having a separate thread to discuss the story, so as not to disturb it's flow.

Mirrors within mirrors eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Kix (edited 31-05-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

not a bad idea at all.

Stories written co-operatively can be great fun or extremely crap. One of te main reasons for crapness is the lack of consistency.

For example: the hero (or protagonist?) just got to sleep and started to have bad dreams... it was left at that, he gets wakened. Now, will the person who wanted the dreams introduced send the hero back ot sleep or change tack and go with the new flow?

Also there's the question of style. From an innocuous beginning, almost a road movie type of thing, we've already gone toward either gangster/lawman/vigilante or PI or Horror type. maybe even political driven.

Somewhere to post a general idea, maybe put up a rule or two (how much are you allowed write?, how much can you change a character without consultation? - for example, if I post that he ahs no left hand and is missing an eye, will that be ignored or taken as a part of the character?).

So, yep. A good idea. Also, it allows people to post what they think of the story, without starting arguments within the story thread.. and thus getting edited by yours truly.

Still a rule though. If you are going tocomment on the story, you have to have a point. Posts of "crap" or pointless **** stirring will be removed. (oooh me sounding all tough! Anyone else getting turned on? no? ah well. )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

this thread is a good idea though.

it will help to build up a good plot overview and character background.

[This message has been edited by smoke-me-a-kipper (edited 31-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Hendrix_Nighn

"Let the blood run free"

(just watch where you stick that needle)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That's all well and good but you are 100% ripping off my idea following its locking due to muppetry (i'm not saying you were being a muppet SMAK) but excelsior and justhalf were to name but a few of the intellectual skips that got it locked.

grrrrrrr mad.gif

[This message has been edited by Neil3030 (edited 01-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yeah, but this time it seems to be going fairly well and there's a lack of muppetry thus far. Easy to tell it's a bunch of guys writing it tho'... starting in Las Vegas and involving guns, airports, explosions, dodgy briefcases, etc. wink.gif

Bard
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I think the style should be allowed to flow not just confine it one genre as such.

I'm not sure having a discussion thread will help with it either ... most people aren't going to read this before reading the story.

agreed some muppets do see it as a chance to mess about and spam ... but only thing that can stop that is moderation wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Yeah, but this time it seems to be going fairly well and there's a lack of muppetry thus far. Easy to tell it's a bunch of guys writing it tho'... starting in Las Vegas and involving guns, airports, explosions, dodgy briefcases, etc. wink.gif

</font>

I think you may have injected it with the most testosterone so far Niall! tongue.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    "Get down! Now!" he shouted. They hit the deck just before the first explosion came, ripping through an escalator and shattering windows nearby.
    [/B]</font>

neil. the whole communal story idea has been done on this board twice before (if i remember rightly) and was quite funny on both occasions (platypi and other beasties fighting all over the place... oh and I think there was a mummified severed leg in there too!). Unfortunately on both occasions there was an element of muppetry as well. In particular people posting "this is crap" and nothing else... repeatedly.

As you can see, the killer robot camp have started their own thread, which will hopefully leave the non-spam one alone. Actually, apart from the faeces descriptions it's actually a good read so far.

[This message has been edited by LoLth (edited 05-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

sorry but...

"THE STORY JUST TURNED CRAP"

and so say all of us, and so say all of us, for its a joly crap storrrrrryyyyyyyy and so say all of us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

see without killer robots u'v noting muuhaw haw haw haw!!! biggrin.giftongue.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Advertisement

No, it didn't turn crap, it turned non-serious.

there has been no "muppetry" as such, each post is a progression from the previous... just in a steady decline.

One word of warning though.. looking at where it's going at the moment, there'll be no Pr0n! Nothing explicit lads. remember, there are most likely underage peeps who visit these boards (ok, maybe not the literature one). If the thread turns primarily lewd or pronographic (a bit of innuendo is fine but don't overdo it) it's gonna get locked and possibly deleted.

Advertisement