Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glazier Starts to Throw His Weight Around

• 12-11-2004 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

It looks like Malcom Glazier is starting to take an active part in influencing the board of Man Utd:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=237517&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Gill+calm+after+AGM
    From Sky Sports
    Manchester United chief executive David Gill has praised Shareholders United following the club's AGM on Friday.

The Old Trafford official also revealed that Lazio still owe some of the Jaap Stam fee, even though the Dutchman was sold back in 2001, and feels there is no need for concern about the growing feud with Arsenal.

"It was one of the more interesting AGMs," he told Sky Sports News, although there was a later setback when three directors were not re-elected to the club's board.

"The views of the fans came through loud and clear, as did the views of the board. We are obviously on agreement about that particular issue [any takeover of the club].

"The fans have clearly got their views, their objectives, they are very well organised, articulate and intelligent people.

"I understand many of them have been fans for many, many years through their fathers and grandfathers and that's the view of the club. It's one of the key strengths of the club and why we can do large sponsorship and commercial deals and that's why we can look to expand the stadium because of the strength of that support.

"Our customers, our fans, don't change allegiance and quite rightly.

"We have to look at the solution going forward. Shareholders United are pleading for supporters to buy shares and that's how they can show their allegiance and control of the club going forward.

"We clearly know Cubic Expression well, we know the Glazers and I'm sure they are amenable to meetings, and we've got to move it forward.

"Manchester United deserves and must have a stable long-term structure in terms of its ownership. It's very important to us, very important to fans and the employees and we're looking to do that."

Gill admitted Lazio were still in debt with United over the sale of Dutch favourite Stam three years ago.

"It's not embarrasing at all," he claimed. "We've worked at it and it's been around a long time.

"We've received half of what we're owed and we're getting interest on it. It's been painful and has taken more time than it should have, given Lazio's standing in the game, but we've moved to a solution where we get the money."

With Arsenal due to visit Old Trafford again on December 1, Gill is ruling out any repeat of the stormy scenes that marked the end of the champions' lengthy unbeaten run.

"We may do [meet with Arsenal officials]," he stated. "I think there will be a degree of calmness and that will go pretty well I'm sure.

"I'm very confident [there will be no repeat]. There's lots written in the media, they use every opportunity to create a story but we've got to make sure we move on and we do what's good for football.

"I'm sure that's what we feel, what Arsenal feel and Sir Alex Ferguson feels. I think that will happen."

But one setback for Gill was the failure of three directors to be re-elected to the board, with Glazer's influence costing Maurice Watkins, Philip Yea and Andy Anson their positions.

Watkins has been the club's legal adviser but has failed to be voted back onto the board, along with commercial director Anson and non-executive director Yea, as Glazer used his 28.11 percent stake in the club to veto their appointment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Suprised at Maurice Watkins not being re elected he was a high profile member.
    I am delighted to see the fans say in the club growing.

If anyone has A Man Utd fan in their life and wants to get them a share in their club for christmas full details are at http://www.shareholdersunited.org Membership costs abou t€20 and includes1 share in the club and a certificate.

Advertisement