Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bugler's book buy

Options
  • 13-06-2001 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Hi kids!

My recommendation for a book to buy is this:
    'My war gone by, I miss it so' by Anthony Loyd. Basically, he is an ex-british army officer who upped sticks and headed to the Balkans in the early '90s (even he is not sure what exactly he was going for) but basically ended up in the thick of the violence as a war reporter.This is reconciled with his coming down off heroin aswell.It's very good, I could go on about how he really rings home the reality of war to the reader etc but I won't.Buy it, steal it,borrow it, whatever.Its worth a read. He also goes to Chechnya aswell, but I have not yet reached that part.I'll keep you posted smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

I think you'll find he went to the Balkans so he could watch people kill and rape with impunity and be surrounded by fit young heavily armed crew cutted boys. There's nothing particularly interesting about upper middle class repressed homosexuals with death wishes. Patrick Pearse, Siegfried Sassoon, Frodo Baggins. Who gives a toss.

[This message has been edited by Von (edited 15-06-2001).]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Firstly, the book Bugler reviewed seems to be a good read, and I'll put it on my to-get list.

Next Von's comment; War holds a dark fascination for many people - from little boys playing soldier to elder statesmen who should know so much better.
    You mention a certain type of personality. Yukio Mishima sprang to mind immediately. In short, he was a Japanese zealot, an ultranationalist born decades too late. Also he was a fine writer, arguable one of Japan's best post-war ones. He had the courage of his convictions, for he one day went into office of Tokyo's commanding general and demanded an army coup. When did not happen he command old-style hara-kiri in protest. 99%+ people then and now think he was wrong but he seared his political statement into the national psyche.
    My point is this, study the military-type for they (and the others you mentioned, esp the hobbit) change the world for good or ill.

Advertisement