Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of d/l speed should I expect?

• 12-11-2004 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

I'm using Eircom 512kb. Now at the moment I'd say I'm getting an average of 40kb or 50kb a second. Maybe 60kb if I'm lucky. Should I be expecting a bigger d/l speed?

One thing I can say is that I am using a phone line extension to my modem that is fairly long. I'm told that that would make an impact on the speed but should it affect it THAT much?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

The max speed you would get off that line is 64kb/sec. If you are getting mid 50's then thats pretty decent as you will always have overhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

I expected as much....just making sure.

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i get a steady 55-56kb/sec (450-460kbps) on my iolbb connection.

google yourself du meter and give that a go if you don't have it already, and you'll know for sure. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your looking at a max of 64k/sec +/-
    I don't know about Eircom, but in the UK if you have a DSL connection (512k) and your getting under 30k/sec BT will check the line for issues.
    Obviously you'd have to correctly test your connection using a fast FTP and just because its slow for one site and not another does not mean you have a line issue ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Divide the rated speed (512 kbps) by 8 to get the theoretical max download speed in kB/sec. (I think, I might be wrong there)

512/8 = 64kB/sec, although my connection seems to max out at 55kB/sec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Dunno if this is a stupid question but anyway....

How come it says I'm connected at 10Mbps constantly when I check the status of my connection from "Network Connections" in Control Panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Dunno if this is a stupid question but anyway....

How come it says I'm connected at 10Mbps constantly when I check the status of my connection from "Network Connections" in Control Panel?
    I think thats the speed of the connection from your PC to your modem / router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep. 10mbps if you've got a USB connection, or 100mbps if you have an ethernet connection, unless you have a really old network card. ;)

there was a thing with some old analogue modems that would list your connection speed as whatever the port speed was (speed between your PC and the modem) rather than the speed you were connected at. very frustrating.

Advertisement