Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

088 mobile numbers

Options
  • 12-11-2004 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

What network/s use/s 088 prefix in mobile numbers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

flodis79 wrote:
    What network/s use/s 088 prefix in mobile numbers?

The 1G network that Eircell/TE had used the 088 prefix ... It is no longer in use

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Original Eircom analog network - didn't know it was gone though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yep, gone since 2001:

http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2001/05/09/story12179.asp

088 started in 1984 used 1G TACS technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

plazzTT wrote:
    Yep, gone since 2001:

http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2001/05/09/story12179.asp

088 started in 1984 used 1G TACS technology.

Great now I feel even older!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

Would it be possible to bring the 088 system back, i.e. would it wotk if they changed it to suit the current systems... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why would you want to bring back a clunky, bad quality system like analog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Great craic listening with the scanner at night. some sad cases out there. On second thoughts who needs a scanner to find that out, I have BOARDS.IE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

eth0_ wrote:
    Why would you want to bring back a clunky, bad quality system like analog?

That's not what I ment.

I ment would it be possibile to have the 088 system again, as in working on GSM & 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They could re-introduce the 088 prefix if they wanted.. Wont happen though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I heard that some geezers got their 088 numbers reactivated under portability rules this year.....running on 2G of course .

M

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure this isn't the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Effectively all 088 numbers became 087 numbers, e.g.

088 XXX XXX would have become
    087 YXXX XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Quick question:

I registered my 088 ready-to-go phone yonks ago. Do I still "own" that number, and could I change my existing 087 phone to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pataman wrote:
    Great craic listening with the scanner at night. some sad cases out there

pot, kettle, black

Buckfast wrote:
    Quick question:

I registered my 088 ready-to-go phone yonks ago. Do I still "own" that number, and could I change my existing 087 phone to it.

Nope..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All 088 subscribers were notified of the intention to shut down the network. Subscribers had two choices - port to the 087 equivalent of their number (if available), or simply lose their subscription when the network was shut down.
    There was no need for compensation or appeasement, as apparently Eircell Vodafone were well within their rights to shut down the network and kick off any remaining subscribers (as long as they adhered to sufficient notice, etc).

Yep, my dad didn't change over until the last minute - he was offered a free Motorola T2288 if he moved to GSM.

We still have the old Moto A130 analogue phone but its basically just a paperweight now. Come to think of it, I never remember it lose coverage until the very end. The coverage on analogue was better than it is on GSM in these parts.

I wonder what prefix 3 will be assigned... 084 or something?? That will sound weird, but so did 085 when Meteor started out.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

3 (Hutchinson) have been allocated the 083 prefix

They were basically told to shut the network down..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ahh gawd.. now im going to get all nostalgic for my motorola 088 phone. first phone I ever had... those were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not sure what model it is, but I still have my Motorola 'Flip Phone' beside me in my filing cabinet.

I remember it well ... 1994 ... battery took 15 hours to charge and gave about 1 hour talk-time or 3 hours standby time.

I just took the battery off it and it's heavier than the phone.

Ahhh, the good old days. What'd calls cost then anyhoo, around £1 a minute if memory serves me.

P.S. Checked with Skodafone and they have given away the old number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

80p on peak, 50p off peak iirc.. I remember I had loads of credit on my 088 phone because in those times you had to top up within a certain time and I couldnt make phone calls from home because the signal was so weak.

Those flip motorolas were the height of yuppie chic. I had one for a couple of days while my brick was being repaired. In fact, I think I know a few people that would still have their 1980's motorola brick phones (the ones that look like army field telephones); as carried by business men roaming the corridors of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

soiaf wrote:
    3 (Hutchinson) have been allocated the 083 prefix

i cant wait. so when is 3 coming out

i cant wait. so when is 3 coming out

About 12 months time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

About 12 months time ;)

12 BLOODY MONTHS. I'ILL STAY WITH VOADFONE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

God this thread is after putting years on me, I have my flip phone II still here I couldn't get rid of it in time so I still have it. It dont work though. dont know if the number is gone though, ah remember when mobile numbers were six digits beginning with the number 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

One of my cousins either decided to go 'modern' at the time or simply liked the particular model, as up until the summer, she was using a Siemens C10 - single band phone! We couldn't work out at first why she couldn't get any Vodafone reception when it finally came to her town in Co Donegal this year - and then discovered that Vodafone only has an 1800MHz transmitter in that town... So after 5+ years, she finally had to upgrade ;)

Advertisement