Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Fixtures(scores when they happen)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Some questions after watching MOTD:
    How many penalties were there today? (cba to count but treat it as a rhetorical one)
    What the hell was Izzet doing?
    Why do the BBC continue to subject us to the toture of Peter Schmeical trying to string a coherent sentence together?
    What was Ledley King thinking about for most of todays match?
    Why did the commentator not mention how instrumental Fabregas was in setting up Ljundberg's goal?
    Why did the fantasy football not credit Robben with an assist for Tiago's goal?
    Why is Harry Kewell suddenly featuring in match highlights again?
    How does Nigel Worthington continue to looks so hopeful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

impr0v wrote:
    Some questions after watching MOTD:

What was Ledley King thinking about for most of todays match?

Signing for Arsenal probably... :(
    impr0v wrote:
    How does Nigel Worthington continue to looks so hopeful?

Delia's cooking? Maybe she's offering some Hilary Briss style Special Stuff to the boys at half-time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Newcastle 1-3 Man. Utd.

Shearer for Toon and Rooney (2) and Nistlerooy for Man U. Just the result that United need considering that teams above them nearly all won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

can you come up with a better excuse other than Delia. if you knew how much effort she put into our club you'd appreciate it. Herself and her husband Michael Wynn Jones are majority shareholders in the club and rescued the club from going bankrupt in the midst of the Robert Chase era. Also after going to see the club 8 times so far this season there are a lot of positives to take from our season, the start we had was bad considering we had to play 6 out of the top 7 in the first 8 games. We have faith that once we get our first win we'll turn the corner and start picking up more wins week in, week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Newcastle 1-3 Man. Utd.

Shearer for Toon and Rooney (2) and Nistlerooy for Man U. Just the result that United need considering that teams above them nearly all won.

true but charlton at home next saturday is a bigger game for manu. you never worry about utd when the big games come round. this season we've beaten arsenal and liverpool, add newcastle to the list, beating 3 of the best aint bad.

good result and hopefully this will set us on a run (a winning run, not an undefeated run!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Good result, terrible play on one hand and fantastic on the other.

Rio Slyvestere and even Brown should all be taken out back for that sorta display.
    Ronaldo needs to be given a week or two off, he doesn't have the energy or the confidence at the moment, maybe making him a sub you could bring on might do some good.
    Heinze played his first bad United game today, every single chance Newcastle created was because of his own errors or misses, but I'm confident he'll bounce back.

Man of the match was definally Scholesy, although well played to Rooney, Van Nist, Keano, Fletcher(very good display I think from him), also Giggs for his brief display
    He totally controlled the game and made umpteen great passes.

We had luck on our side today, which is karma for not having it againist Man City.

3-1 back on track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Just watched the Newcastle - United game, by god it was awful. Neither team could complete more than 3 passes in a row.

Newcastle really looked poor at times, and at the back they are so bad. Not encouraging seeing Andy O'Brien play so bad. The clips they showed after of Kluivert trying to head the ball were hilarious. Having said that they were unlucky with a few decisions. Kluivert getting a perfectly good goal chalked off, and I thought Rooney pushed O'Brien in the lead up to the penalty.

United didnt look great, but some consolation is that at least Scholes looked like he beginning to play again. Ronaldo continued his "rich" vein of form. 2 nice goals by Rooney.
    smemon wrote:
    good result and hopefully this will set us on a run (a winning run, not an undefeated run!).
    Is there an echo in here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Deserved win for United. Newcastle were very poor. The penalty was very dodgy though. Scholes went down very easily, especially since given nudged him in the chest and his knees buckled. And it was almost definitely a shove by Rooney on O'Brien in the build-up.

When Rooney said he was going to United to improve his game, I didn't think cheating was the first aspect he'd work on, but there you go. Great first goal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

This ****ing game is corrupt.(and im not just talking about Blatter , warner and their shenanagens)

That is all .

• Advertisement

lol.

I think the penalty was fair enough. It wasn't a bad decision or an especially good one, it was 50-50 and he called it.

Again I think Souness made a bad substitution with Bowyer coming off for Dyer, who contributed very little in my opinion.

An average of 4 goals a game over the weekend is a slap in the face for the 'premiership is getting more defensive' brigade. Some of the defending over the two days was absolutely awful, from a whole variety of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That penalty for Man United was a stone waller. Not a vey good game for the 'top' sides of the 'best league in the world' ((C) Sky)

I dont think anyone is arguing that Given didnt foul Scholes. He did, but Im saying that in the build up to it Rooney pushed O'Brien, hence it shouldnt have been a peno.

Possibly, but O'Brien wasn't really looking for it and still had control of the ball, until he slipped of course. Rooney had all but given up before that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I dont think anyone is arguing that Given didnt foul Scholes. He did, but Im saying that in the build up to it Rooney pushed O'Brien, hence it shouldnt have been a peno.

O Brien fell over under a challenge fro Rooney there was no foul IMO and more importantly in the Refs either. Newcastle were unlucky not to get something from the game. Kluivert will not make it in the prem as he is too much of a wimp.

Utd played well in parts of the game , Ronaldo need to be taugh how to pass to team mate in better positions and how to take corners and he went down too easily under some challenges today, Maybe its time for Fergie to rest him for a few games and give smith his place.

Overall UTD were flattered by the scoreline.

Must Do Better.

The Muppet wrote:
    O Brien fell over under a challenge fro Rooney there was no foul IMO and more importantly in the Refs either. Newcastle were unlucky not to get something from the game. Kluivert will not make it in the prem as he is too much of a wimp.
    Rooney was running behind O'Brien, O'Brien was chasing the ball and was not in total control, hence Rooney had no right to make any sort of "challenge". But having said that, while Newcastle may have been unlucky, I dont think they deserved anything. United did play well in patches, but as you said the scoreline flattered them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

United Match

Firstly, O'Brien fell over on his own, he was not pushed by anyone. Secondly, it was a clear penalty. Given didn't touch the ball and jumped on Scholes instead.

United defending for the Newcastle goal was embarassing to say the least. However, Newcastle's defending was even worse. They really need to sort that out qucik sharp! Rio also made a poor mistake early on when Shearer just shot wide!! A flattering score but United deserved the win.

United seem to only be able to put the goals away when playing poor defences but struggle otherwise.

Liverpool Games

Liverpool dominted Crysal Palace in the same fashion as they did against Birmingham last weekend. The only difference being they put away a few goals this time. Stats ca n be slightly misleading but these speak for themselves:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=237501&lid=2&cpid=8&title=Baros+treble+downs+Eagles

Team Name Liverpool Crystal Palace
    Goals________________________________3________2
    Shots on target ( Inc Goals )____________6________3
    Shots off Target (inc woodwork)_________13________0
    Blocked Shots_________________________1_________1
    Corners Won__________________________7________1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

re: rooney
    The Muppet wrote:
    Maybe its time for Fergie to rest him for a few games and give smith his place.

i agree, although for slightly different reason. i don't think rooney looks like he needs a rest, but smith didn't deserved to get dropped imho. i also like his attitude, take no prisioners and all that ;)

i think smith is too good a player to just come on (out of position) for the last 10/15 minutes in games. although with all the different competitions, smith will surely get another run in the team soon to show his worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kensutz wrote:
    can you come up with a better excuse other than Delia. if you knew how much effort she put into our club you'd appreciate it. Herself and her husband Michael Wynn Jones are majority shareholders in the club and rescued the club from going bankrupt in the midst of the Robert Chase era.

joke n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
    2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
    3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
    4. Informal.
    a. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
    b. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.
    5. Lost on kensutz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

re: rooney

i agree, although for slightly different reason. i don't think rooney looks like he needs a rest, but smith didn't deserved to get dropped imho. i also like his attitude, take no prisioners and all that ;)

i think smith is too good a player to just come on (out of position) for the last 10/15 minutes in games. although with all the different competitions, smith will surely get another run in the team soon to show his worth.

Its Ronaldo I think needs the rest. Twice today he could have put Ruud in for a tap in and instead tried and failed to score himself. He will be a great player for united but he needs to learn when to pass and when to shoot, He also needs to look up before giving his final ball. He's young and all that will come but its frustrating to see him beat players and then putting in crosses that pose little threat.

I though Rooney played well today and his first goal was very well taken. lovely weighted ball from fletcher .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Liverpool dominted Crysal Palace in the same fashion as they did against Birmingham last weekend. The only difference being they put away a few goals this time.

And the difference being Baros. Gerard is due back this week too which will hopefully help towards Liverpool becoming a bit more consistent.
    impr0v wrote:
    What the hell was Izzet doing?

Bruce should just give him a pair of gloves and be done with it :p That's two weeks in a row he's handled on the line, only this time he was punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

PHB wrote:
    Good result, terrible play on one hand and fantastic on the other.

Rio Slyvestere and even Brown should all be taken out back for that sorta display.
    Ronaldo needs to be given a week or two off, he doesn't have the energy or the confidence at the moment, maybe making him a sub you could bring on might do some good.
    Heinze played his first bad United game today, every single chance Newcastle created was because of his own errors or misses, but I'm confident he'll bounce back.

Man of the match was definally Scholesy, although well played to Rooney, Van Nist, Keano, Fletcher(very good display I think from him), also Giggs for his brief display
    He totally controlled the game and made umpteen great passes.

We had luck on our side today, which is karma for not having it againist Man City.

3-1 back on track!
    Heinze wasn't that bad. Brown and Rio were terrible. Brown and Rio both at fault for the goal. Rio also at fault for the chance which Shearer wasted in the first half. Fletcher was poor other than his pass for the goal, the amount of times he lost the ball was sinful, and as for that woeful effort on goal! I agree about the rest though, Giggs looked good alright when he came on. Ron needs a rest. one thing I've noticed about him - put a hard challenge in on him early in the game and he disappears.

Heinze wasn't that bad. Brown and Rio were terrible. Brown and Rio both at fault for the goal. Rio also at fault for the chance which Shearer wasted in the first half. Fletcher was poor other than his pass for the goal, the amount of times he lost the ball was sinful, and as for that woeful effort on goal! I agree about the rest though, Giggs looked good alright when he came on. Ron needs a rest. one thing I've noticed about him - put a hard challenge in on him early in the game and he disappears.

Heinze played fine up until about the 40th minute when he picked up an injury which I don't think he shook properly. He didn't cross the half way line for the rest of the match as far as I remember and was noticably quiet. I wouldn't really blame Rio for the goal, he tracked the run of Bellamy which someone had to do, Shearer still had to run across Heinze to shoot, and Heinze slipped at just the wrong moment. Shearer hit it poorly, I think Carroll could have had it if he connected better. In fairness to him it was a good individual effort though.

Fletcher looked really good up until and including the excellent pass for the goal. After that he did kinda fade into anonymity, and was fairly sloppy with possession.

Ronaldo was taken off directly after the second of those incidents where he should obviously have passed to RVN, I'd imagine he'll be getting a talking to about being a team player. Some of his dead ball attempts were woeful. I'm still unconvinced by Ronaldo, no goals this season and he's been playing well only in flashes. Sure he bring excitment and width to the team, but the end product is, more often than not, a let down.

Shred wrote:
    And the difference being Baros. Gerard is due back this week too which will hopefully help towards Liverpool becoming a bit more consistent.

I think Liverpool will need a while to adjust to a Gerrard/Alonso midfield. Both excellent players, but the first few games they were both looking for the killer passes and doing the same things with the ball, I think it could induce a lack of balance in the middle of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

second season thingy is what i think is the problem with ronaldo atm
    hes got an ego, played great at the end of last season and in the euros, but doesnt understand that its about the team.

he needs a good bollicking from keano thats all :)
    he'll get it after newcastle

Once he gets
    You don't score, you pass to people who score
    He'll be just amazing

Advertisement