Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry.com

Options
  • 07-07-2001 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I got a letter from them the other day saying I was in the semi-finals of their competition, and that they want to publish my poem as part of a collection, I just wondered what the deal was with this, is it like the readers digest where everyone gets into the semi-finals or what? I got suspicious when they offered me a discount copy of the poetry compilation for $50, and the letter seems to be completly generic, with loads of praise for my poem and that kind of thing........ are these people to be believed or is it all in aid of convincing me to buy their over-priced compilation? I've never even written a poem before this entry, so I'd be wary of it....... Anyone else heard anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The letter IS completely generic- however they go out of their way to ensure that it makes you feel SO special and gifted... I've received 4 so far, and it's getting annoying... I've been published by them in a book (offered the chance to buy the book at the specially reduced price of $50) - entered in their International Poet of the year contest (for which, of course, I'd have to attend their 3-day conference and awards ceremony in Washington, setting me back a mere piffling $600), asked to represent my country at some World Poets Forum (with something like $250 to reserve my place) and asked if I wanted to be published in an 'audio-book' being released on triple CD (which, of course, I can pre-order at the knocked-down price of $60)...

It's getting to be a bit much and the words "scam", "extortionist", "almighty", "exploitative", "worldwide" (and sometimes "ba$tards") are jumping to mind occasionally...

I'm going to contact them and refuse them permission to publish my work in their "audio book".

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 09-07-2001).]

Advertisement