Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice needed. car stolen

Options
  • 13-11-2004 4:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

alright lads, never thought this would happen me..... but here goes.

thursday nite, mate visits me in cork before he goes to india and china away from ireland.......wish i was going with him!

went for a pizza, parked my car near victoria lodge in cork, went out and back to the flat at about 1. i got up at 12 to go to ucc, back at 7 and no car.

my mate was gone at 2 and took his own car, which he parked in a nearby estate......

went to the house where my car was parked, it was a private dwelling, i was using it a week waiting for my parking permit.

people at the house said the car was not there in the morning

turned out that some scum bags took the car, presumably in the middle of the night, and hot wired it and took everything from it, including the adidas rain jacket in the back, the spare tyre and the glove box, contents included.

and of course the 400euro sony stereo. and they ripped the speakers from the rear shelves, and depressingly did away with a box of lecture notes and 3 or 4 text books of mine

mad isnt it........

the car is a honda saloon, nothing special, but the alloys prob cought their miniscule brain cells. they couldnt remove them because of the lock nuts

the dashboard is a write off, and the front is mangled. i think the car is a waste of time

so what do i tell my insurance company? i got 5 years or 6 not sure ncb and third party fire and theft.

the car is worth about 2000, or thereabouts, not including the stereo

and i paid 400 on new tyres last week

im a student and this is a nightmare. i am thinking of packing in, im doing my best to settle into life in college (as a mature transfer student) and now some ***** tossed away my notes and wrote off my car

i would love if they crashed into a pole and ended up in a wheelchair............all three of them, which i believe there was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Crap, sorry to hear that. Time to check your insurance policy for a start. Odds are very strong that there's a limit on the recoverable amount on any stereo (and that's assuming it's even covered if it didn't come with the car and you didn't declare it on the policy)

And of course if the repair cost (probably excluding the stereo) is less than the book value they reckon the car is worth, they'll just give you their book value in exchange for the car. The write-off value is where people often get screwed in cases like this.

SO what do you tell your insurance company? Well, tell them what happened (car was locked and any anti-theft devices you have engaged presumably so they can't regard you as being at fault in any way). What happens after that largely depends on how much the damage will cost to replace, especially when you've got a large NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Sorry to hear about that man, don't pack in college over it though that will just be them winning!

Explain what happened to your lecturers and they might print out the notes for you, otherwise photo copy some of your class mates. I know it's not the same but hey its better than nothing.

It's a bit of a mess of a situation alright, just hope the car is down as a write-off and you can use the money to get an old run around for a while.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That sucks, sorry man! Scrotes that do that kind of thing make my blood boil :mad:

Don't give up college because of it though, you'd regret that forever. If you're really stuck for money, go to your bank or building society. They will give you a loan. Paying it back is not going to be as hard as you think once you have a full time job, even if you can only start paying that back after you've finished college

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Same thing happened to me tue night. Except for the notes and the fact they wrote my car off. I worked seven days a week last summer and got a student loan to get my car on the road and now i dont even know if i will get enough to buy anoter car.
    What is the book value?
    Does anyone know if the insurance companys understate the value of cars. Would the average price of the car in the buy and sell be a good indicator?
    I dont know what insurance company your with but i am with hibernian and they told me i will get the book value of the car less 300 euro and my premium will increase by between ten percent. Its not even worth making a claim considering the cot of my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Ten percent for something that wasn't your fault?
    That's such a crappy policy, does this happen in other countries out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Sorry to hear it, You have do the sums and see what is the most economical way out of that. and stick to college.

even if you have crap policy and going to loose 10 % this is still cheaper then repairing the car in the garage. Not the perfect situation to loose 1 year of NCB but better then not having the car or taking another loan.

U want to ring you insurance company and ask them what happens if.....

Once they pay out, you maybe able to keep the car which could be fixed later (if not bad and u r up for the job ) or just sold as scrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

im with hibernian, but deal with top quote in letterkenny. having about 6 yrs ncb, i will be pissed off if i have to pay more for insurance cos of some nob heads

i am already out of pocket due to my stereo, leatherman which was in the glove box, and the speakers.

the car is valued at 2-3k ? the honda civic saloon, esi.

having looked at it. the front it crashed, possibly repairable. but the suspension is damaged i would imagine, and the steering column is ****ed. and the complete dash is mangled to bits

i think its a waste of time, the engine was no douby throttled and red lined to the end of its life. so in my opinion spending money on it is a a waste.

i would just like to get money for another car, pronto. i will have to take out a loan.

thinking of getting a bmw 316, or something safe like that. i do alot of driving and not realling looking for smaller engines. a accord might do as well, but 1.8 a bit thirsty.

here is a letter i am going to email my insurance company. or do i have to ring them?

any opinions on the letter, i was thinking of seeing a solicitor before i call them or email them to see where i stand. but from what people have said, i can deffo claim the book value of the car as it was stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

This sort of crap makes my blood boil, you work your ass off to get what little you have and along comes Johnny scumbag and his track suit wearing mates to take and thrash your car just for something to do or for a laugh :mad:, Ah sure bless them they hard a hard upbringing and never even got a holiday god love them or "they fell in with the wrong crowd" I am sick of hearing this rubbish from the do-gooders and it doesn't wash with me. I grew up in a bad area, I never got a holiday either there wasn't any money for one but what I did get was a stict but fair upbringing from parents who would ensure a swift kick in the backside for getting in to trouble or bringing the police to the door. In short I think their parents are responsible for the behaviour of their scumbag offsping and if they can't scare them straight then the solution as I see it is Boot Camp and make them terrified of getting caught breaking the law again.

Sorry for going of topic with this rant but reading this stuff makes me really :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Sorry to hear this. News like this sickens me - really boils my blood. Did you have an alarm/immobiliser or steering/handbrake lock on the car? I'm curious as to how hellbent they were on getting the car (or if it was just an easy target)

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I truly am sorry to hear about your car man, but just look at it this way;

They can steal all the cars in the world, but tomorrow they'll still be poor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement