Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever hurt yourself while asleep?

• 13-11-2004 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Ack, I was asleep last night and dreaming that someone was repeatedly pinching me really hard... eventually I got píssed off with them and decided to punch them quite hard.
    Swinging my arm (and closed fist) in a back-hand punch in my dream carried though into my real body, and I ended up hitting the sharp 90º corner of my locker with the back of my hand... the pain was enough to wake me up for a few seconds, just long enough for me to think "omfg oowwwww! :(" before drifting off again.
    Still hurts if I bend my fingers a certain way.

Not that I'm comparing battle-scars or anything, but I'm prompted to wonder if anyone has hurt themselves in real life because of a dream.
    Share your stories :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Yeah once I was in bed with a girl and i dreamt that I was against the wall and couldnt push myself away from it. I put my feet against the wall to try push myself away and gave an allmighty shove. Unfortunatly it wasnt the wall it was the girl. She went flying out of the bed and hit the other wall and burst her nose. She later said I had been moving back from her in the bed, and each time I did she moved closer to me to stay warm. I woke up to such a slap in the face, the poor girl was blleding everywhere. It was very funny to tell people though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, I feel a bit guilty for laughing at that now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

SantaHoe wrote:
    Still hurts if I bend my fingers a certain way.

What, backwards?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've sometimes slept crooked, and woken up with my shoulder or such hurting like hell, but nothing as funny as your stories so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

one of my friends scratches her face in her sleep..she wakes up with little cuts on her face the whole time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I frequently fall out of the bed, because I dream that I am tumbling down a hill, or fighting with someone, or flying, or (like the other night) I dreamt my bed was on fire, so, in my sleep, I leapt out of the bed and cracked my head off the wardrobe door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hmm, I do that too. I wake up with huge scrapes on my arms or stomach, some of them happened months ago but the marks are still there.

Boyfriend has stayed unscathed though, which is something I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

one time i was sleeping in a bunkbed and heard the phone ringing so i lept up to answer and smacked my head off the top bunk!!! ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

I've been known to bang my head off the wall beside the bed while in drunken slumber. But recently I keep getting cramps in my feet & in the muscles in the backs of my legs when I'm asleep...excruciating pain!!! Horrible way to wake up. & the stupid cramps can last for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

One morning I woke up my leg was itchy so i scratched then I rubbed nose. I then walked out to the bathroom looked in the mirror, my face had blood smeared on it. I looked at my hand and then my leg, blood everywhere. My duvet was had a load of blood too. I had a cut about 7cm long on my thigh. Dunno how it happened. That happened about 7 years ago and I have a scar now because of it.

I often stretch my legs when im half asleep and sometimes I get a cramp in my leg then I nearly fall out of the bed in agony. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Once I fell out of the top of a bunkbed onto some lego it was excrutiatingly painful.

I think my dad holds the record: We had just arrived where we were going sking, Can't remember where, and my dad was in bed asleep he rolled over and dislocated his shoulder. he spent the one week of the holiday in a sling and couldn't go sking. It was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

DArcy wrote:
    But recently I keep getting cramps in my feet & in the muscles in the backs of my legs when I'm asleep...excruciating pain!!! Horrible way to wake up. & the stupid cramps can last for an hour.
    yeah yeah, we all(males) know where those cramps are comin from :p

yeah my gf is terrible for sleepwalkin/talkin, but she always puts on a really young voice, like her subconscious self is twelve or somethin, but talks about present day things.... needless to say, not funny wakin up in your bed to the voice of a twelve year old..... :eek: ughhhh...... *shudders*

she tries scratchin her face too, and often mine, that can be painful!

Once I fell out of the top of a bunkbed onto some lego it was excrutiatingly painful.
    I'm in tears laughing at that, sorry, I think it was more the way you said it :D:D:D :eek:
    Having fallen ontop of lego many a time I know how damn pointy it can be when your full body-weight is slammed on it.
    Did you break the lego thing you'd built? ;)
    woosaysdan wrote:
    one time i was sleeping in a bunkbed and heard the phone ringing so i lept up to answer and smacked my head off the top bunk!!! ouch
    Were you just dreaming it was ringing or was it real?
    Lump wrote:
    What, backwards?
    Well that's always hurt past a certain point, as you rightly point out in your own bizzare way :p
    Anyway, I'll take your unique brand of sarcasm as genuine concern and tell you that I can feel a slight twinge in my wrist and forearm during certain movements*... think I hit myself on a nerve or tendon or something.
    If you're really curious you can try it out as I've described in my first post :D

*By "certain movements" I don't mean *fap*ing, before anyone jumps on that innuendo opportunity... at least I don't think so, it was my good fapping arm aswell, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

oh it was ringing for real!!! and even better it was a wrong number!!! someone looking for a taxi!!! i told them id pick them up in 10 mins and went back to bed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

one of my friends scratches her face in her sleep..she wakes up with little cuts on her face the whole time!
    I do that too. Not very often though. But just recently I had a large scratch on my arm.

Don't know how I do it, my nails are blunt cos I bite them all the time so it can't be that. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'd only worry about it if it was happening on a regular basis, say, twice a week.

I can remember two times in my life that I woke myself up from swinging a punch.

Normally your brain 'paralyses' you for sleepy-time to stop you physically acting on dreams in your sleep in case you harm yourself.

The opposite happened when I remember walking up once and being completely physically paralysed for about 5 minutes and totally awake. Very scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i'm always waking up with bruises - my ma calls them "dead mans pinches" cos her granny/old Dubliners used to say that if u woke up with bruises it was from a ghost pinching you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

The opposite happened when I remember walking up once and being completely physically paralysed for about 5 minutes and totally awake. Very scary.
    that happens to me a lot and I really hate it completely freaks me out!!! it's like you are reasoning with yourself about how to move and how to get out of the paralysis but can't move a muscle.. then eventually something gives and it's all ok. not nice at all.

I often kick and punch etc. in bed... but usually only hurt myself off the wall!! big toe is often bit sore!! that or hitting my head off the corner of my locker.. ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think my dad holds the record: We had just arrived where we were going sking, Can't remember where, and my dad was in bed asleep he rolled over and dislocated his shoulder. he spent the one week of the holiday in a sling and couldn't go sking. It was hilarious.

it also sounds like an episode of saved by the bell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

would this include sleep walking i bruised my head when i walked in to a wall

• Advertisement

woosaysdan wrote:
    oh it was ringing for real!!! and even better it was a wrong number!!! someone looking for a taxi!!! i told them id pick them up in 10 mins and went back to bed!!!
    lol classic :)
    tk123 wrote:
    Dubliners used to say that if u woke up with bruises it was from a ghost pinching you!!
    That's a bit spooky, I was being pinched in my dream... I half wondered if I was pinching myself in my sleep... now I have ghosts to worry about :o
    snoopdog wrote:
    would this include sleep walking i bruised my head when i walked in to a wall
    Yeah it's wide open to anything really, I'm suprised nobodys mentioned night terrors yet actually :D

you know they say not to wake a sleep walker why is that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

a friend of mine fell out of a bunk bed once, right onto a locker, broke 2 teeth, couldnt talk for about a week and kept on sleeping. Woke up with blood all over the place not knowing what happened.

Another friend decided to go sleep walking one night and roamed around the house, with his todger hangin out, into his sitting room where his parents were entertaining guests. They were entertained alrite!

Luckily i have escaped such mishaps, so far.....

ColHol wrote:
    a friend of mine fell out of a bunk bed once, right onto a locker, broke 2 teeth, couldnt talk for about a week and kept on sleeping. Woke up with blood all over the place not knowing what happened.

Another friend decided to go sleep walking one night and roamed around the house, with his todger hangin out, into his sitting room where his parents were entertaining guests. They were entertained alrite!

Luckily i have escaped such mishaps, so far.....

lol

snoopdog wrote:
    you know they say not to wake a sleep walker why is that
    Uh, I think it's a shock thing where they might get a heart attack... not sure if this is an old wives tale or not, but that's the reasoning I've heard attached to the warning.

-Edit- :: Actually I've just been googling and found this ::
    One common misconception is that a sleep walker should not be awakened. It is not dangerous to awaken a sleep walker, although it is common for the person to be confused or disoriented for a short time on awakening. Another misconception is that a person cannot be injured when sleep walking. Actually, injuries caused by such things as tripping and loss of balance are common for sleep walkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I've had the old "playing football" dream and given the wall beside my bed a full force kick. Surprisingly, not breaking my toes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was kipping in a friends house. She was in the room next to me. I woke her up because I was repeatedly banging my head off the wall in my sleep. I had a b*tch of a headache the next day that wasn't helped by the alcohol consumed the night before.

Also my brother sleep talks alot. My mother tried to wae him once and he gave her a full force punch to the mouth in his sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I often stretch my legs when im half asleep and sometimes I get a cramp in my leg then I nearly fall out of the bed in agony. :/

Yeah, I get that too, but I don't know what causes it. It usually goes away after half a minute or so though.
    yeah yeah, we all(males) know where those cramps are comin from

I actually don't have a clue what you're talking about - please explain!?
    Also my brother sleep talks alot. My mother tried to wae him once and he gave her a full force punch to the mouth in his sleep.

Hehehehehe, yeah I sleeptalk too, I'll wake up with a really sore throat and my parents will complain. I'd love to record myself, but it happens so rarely...About that "sleepwalkers never injure themselves" myth - my aunt's flatmate managed to climb out an upstairs window while sleepwalking, and fell on top of the car down below and broke her arm, silly bint. :D

I USED to sleep butt naked, until one time when I sleepwalked to the toilet to take a piss, in full view of my family. After that, the boxers are always on and buttoned up every night..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some cuts, bruises & scratches. Even bit my lip once.

I've regularly beaten the duvet and curtains to death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tenderised Meat

Almost always when I have a nosebleed in bed I wake up just as it's about to start coming out of my nose. Once or twice though I didnt and the next morning I woke up to look in the mirror and see my face smeared with blood. My pillow and quilt were pretty covered too. It freaked the hell out of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Now that I remember, My cousin sleepwalks sometimes and once he fell out a 2nd floor balcony and smashed himself off concrete. He looked like he did 12 rounds with Mike Tyson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Retr0gamer wrote:

I've punched people before when I was asleep too. Don't remember it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

SantaHoe wrote:
    I'm in tears laughing at that, sorry, I think it was more the way you said it
    Having fallen ontop of lego many a time I know how damn pointy it can be when your full body-weight is slammed on it.
    Did you break the lego thing you'd built?

It wasn't even mine it was my cousins. I cant remember what it was. damn Lego always out to get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

fade to grey:
    yeah yeah, we all(males) know where those cramps are comin from

Can you enlighten me? I'm not male :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i was dreaming i was indina jones once, i was running away and diving under closing rock doors etc and then bang sharp pain in my neck. I remneber waking up and thinking thats going to hurt in the morning and going back to sleep.I woke and thought i dreamt that until i moved my neck. Christ tha pain. I pulled a muscle spent the whole week in pain walking around with one shoulder lower than the other as the muscle was forcing it down.

The funny part was i was listening to one of them relaxtion tapes while i was asleep for the first time. The thing got put in the bin the next day. The worst nights sleep i had in a while i was wasnt sleepingright at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

has anyone ever dreamt about grinding their teeth SOOO much that the pressure starts knocking them out, but you just cant stop.. it awfull.. and its especially scary cos when you wake up you're not too sure if it was just a dream or you really did it.. obviously without knocking your teeth out:)

newband wrote:
    has anyone ever dreamt about grinding their teeth SOOO much that the pressure starts knocking them out, but you just cant stop.. it awfull.. and its especially scary cos when you wake up you're not too sure if it was just a dream or you really did it.. obviously without knocking your teeth out:)

Ooops Newband u should prob go to dentist and get them to check ur teeth for signs of bruxism/grinding!! I used to get dreams like that all the time - then i found out i was actually grinding my toothy-pegs in my sleep and damaging them a bit too!!:eek: I get really bad ear/jaw/head aches from time to time becuase of it! I have to wear a guard on my teeth to protect them - it's like a gumshield that clips onto my bottom teeth. There's chunks gone out of it which would have been my teeth!!

thats just wonderful :(

*edit* and i get lots of bad headaches/earaches aswell:(:( *edit*

Ah sorry but hey u could be ok - dream books say it's a sign of anxiety or that theres stuff you need to say when your awake but not getting the chance to - is there anything you want to tell us all?

*Edit* I posted that before i saw your edit!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Not really much while asleep .. but I woke up paralysed for an hour once.

Cant say I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

is there anything you want to tell us all?

well there.....

Dougal: eh, Ted, Byker Grove is on..
    Ted: Oh god yes byker grove..

hee hee

ah in all fairness i haven't had that dream in a long time... in fact, last night i dreamt that knackers were chasin me,, twas some funny $hit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Very slightly off topic - my rooms is so messy (no really, i hate entering it or leaving it because it takes so long to traverse) that i don't notice the MACH 3 razor blade heads that are hidden under the pile of crap that occupies 2/3 of my bed 24/7.

Little buggers cut ribbons out of me at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

That reminds me of something I read a while back on the origin of the term Nightmare.
    Trivia: Apparently the sleep paralysis thing is reasonably common, and in ye olden days of fire and brimstone, some people used to hallucinate that they were being literally ridden by a demon, an incubus. Hence the term Night-Mare.

Or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

They had such an inventive way with language in olden times.

Nowadays we'd probably just refer to it as a wet dream about Cher.

I often dream that I am falling towards some unnamed city.
    I always without fail hit the ground, which I have been told is a bit screwed up.

Advertisement