Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME: San Andreas problem

Options
  • 13-11-2004 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Bought SA on the 29th, played it for 5 days(60 hours), 10 hours into play on the fifth day, I got a disc read error, took the CD out and found it had been scratched DURING play.

Next day went back to GAME Tallaght and the guy agreed to replace it, except they had no stock.

Next week went back, and manager completely bull****ted me in an attempt not to replace it.

First, it was my PS2 eating discs, then it was the lens, then it was the PS2 being vertical(never used it vertically), then it was the fact I didnt take the disc out each time I turned off the PS2(despite being scratched 10 hours into play), and when he exhausted all those, he just point blank refused to replace it.

Any ideas what to do?

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=153520

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I may be about to have a similar problem. I bought Amped 2 on Xbox on Thursday, and the first time I tried to play it, the audio was jumpy, and then the game itself started freezing and then starting up again after 5 seconds or so. Loading times were also very very long. This happened the first time I tried to play. I tried a second time after playing another game, with the same problems. I then checked the disc, and there are marks on it on one side. I'm guessing the Xbox didn't scratch the disc since I had these problems from the very first time I tried to play it. The xbox is also brand new (bought the same day). I certainly didn't scratch it, or drop it, or handle it improperly (I used to work in a Game store myself!), so I'm left 99% sure the disc was like this when I bought it. It certainly is possible, since Smyths do gut games when they come in, and something could have happened to the disc in that process.

So I'm about to go back today to get it replaced. I'm thinking I'm going to come up against some resistance, but I'm very confident it was sold to me in this state, so I won't let up. Wish me luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

smiaras wrote:
    It doesnt matter if it was damaged in my PS2, only if it was the PS2 faulty.

However it seems to be the disc that is faulty, as hundreds(or thousands) of other people are finding out.

Called Sony and they said they've been getting calls all week about similar problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ave wrote:
    It doesnt matter if it was damaged in my PS2, only if it was the PS2 faulty.

However it seems to be the disc that is faulty, as hundreds(or thousands) of other people are finding out.

Called Sony and they said they've been getting calls all week about similar problems.

All you need to do is contact sony tell them what happened because the disk is very easily scratched, something about a thin filament been used in the manufacturing process and theyll replace the disk free of charge, thats what everyoes doing that has had this problem, a friend of mine contacted sony with the exact same problem and 3 days later a brand new copy arrived

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Advertisement

smiaras wrote:
    They can have whatever policy they like, but under law they have to replace or refund unless it's fit for the purpose intended(which it obviously isnt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mine does that but still plays just pops up mid drive for a second then goes again. Thought it was a feature of the PS2 :)

At 15% and 10 hours have it 2 weeks damn kids :(

kdjac

Just to update, Smyths replaced my scratched Amped2 disc with no quibble. I didn't mention that I'd noticed the scratches, I just told them that it appeared to be faulty, skipping audio and video etc. I think they saw the scratches themselves, though, as when he put the new disc into the case, he first examined it for any scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Ave, same thing happened to me except I wasn't playing it 12 hours a day for 5 days (...loser!!!! :P) ... luckily I got mine in virgin, brought it back explained to the guy and he was sound aboot it and replaced it. UL on the game toss pot not swithcing it for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

tbh i wouldn't take that, look up the consumer laws, its gotta violate either the stipulations of
    Not of merchantable quality or Not Fit For Purposes or both....

it was designed to be used in the ps2, if the ps2 ain't faulty then it certainly violates the second one there.....10hrs ain't normal wear and tear..

• Advertisement

Ave, same thing happened to me except I wasn't playing it 12 hours a day for 5 days (...loser!!!! :P) ... luckily I got mine in virgin, brought it back explained to the guy and he was sound aboot it and replaced it. UL on the game toss pot not swithcing it for you too.
    What can I say, I was waiting years for it =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Having the same problem with SA. Can't even get out of the house. It's a borrowed game and the CD is slightly, but barely scuffed as if a PS2 did it.

Has to be a bad batch, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

Ave wrote:
    They can have whatever policy they like, but under law they have to replace or refund unless it's fit for the purpose intended(which it obviously isnt)

As a memeber of the Game community and a long time hater of our company. (See other posts here with me in them) I can tell you now that the majority of the staff will change it for you as long as there are no managers around to give out to us for doing it. Point proven by the fact that the original guy was willing to do it.

Unfortuatly what the managers will say to you is that the game was sold to you in a fit state. Ie no scratches on it. But as your returning it to us scratched you are the one to put it in the unfit state. Unfair I know. :(

And to be honest with you its a known fact that sony are notorious for putting second grade lasers in to their machines be it ps2 or a mini disc player. So for SkyLynx comments unfortunatly it does sound like it was the ps2 that scratched the disc. So game managers will more than likely come to this compromise: contact sony as it sounds like its your ps2 that is causing the problems. :(

The way most managers would look at it is we have sold over a grand and a half of these things and only a small precent of them have come back faulty. And of those a small precent of them are scratched.

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

shinzon wrote:
    All you need to do is contact sony tell them what happened because the disk is very easily scratched, something about a thin filament been used in the manufacturing process and theyll replace the disk free of charge, thats what everyoes doing that has had this problem, a friend of mine contacted sony with the exact same problem and 3 days later a brand new copy arrived

Shin

Having the same problem.
    How did you contact Sony ?

I can't believe it !! My replaced Amped2 disc is exactly the same as the previous one. But now I know what's going on. I checked the disc before I put in the Xbox for the first time, and noticed there were these white tiny little "dots" on one side of the disc. I didn't think they were significant, but they were noticeable. I decided to give it a go anyway, thinking it wouldn't affect the game. But it did. Enormous loading times, and the game freezing as with the first disc. I took it out, and had another look. Those little white "dots" were now streaked arcs on the disc, exactly like with the original disc I had replaced! Predominantly on one side of the disc, as with the first. The exact same thing! So obviously Smyths either got a faulty batch, or they are mishandling them while gutting them. Those little white marks turn into major marks on the disc once it's in the drive. Just to be clear, my Xbox plays all my other games fine..

So back to Smyths I go at the next opportunity. Think I'll ask them to replace it with a different game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bah white dots are called "Fujis" a defect in the moulding machine which created the disc.

I hated my old job :D

kdjac

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ste- wrote:
    Having the same problem.
    How did you contact Sony ?
    http://ie.playstation.com/support/support.jhtml

Advertisement