Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation

Options
  • 13-11-2004 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

HI,
    After replacing a ceiling in upstairs bedroom I need to add some insulation to the attic. Anyone know how much it is per metre/roll and where could I get it online?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Why would you want to buy it online. It is not the usual thing Mr Postie delivers. Check you nearest builders providers/ woodies, it is not that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

just wanted to compare prices before I went out to buy it. havent a clue how much i should expect to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

From memory €10/15 per roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get it as thick as you can afford. Make sure it is foil-backed (foil side down) otherwise condensation will screw your entire roof. Also make sure any tanks, pipes and the like are on the warm side. Make sure the roof space remains ventilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

Afaik the building regs now state that you should put about 9 inches of it down - which means 2 rolls crossing each other ( 6 inches each - i know that makes 12 but they dont make 3 inch rolls ) - otherwise what you can do is to get the high density foam which comes in solid sheets that you saw to length - i think you only need 2 or three inches of that - cant remember but you can work it out from the building regs - ( of course i dont really think that you have to stick to the regs if you are working on an old house but they are a good guideline ) - anyway insulation is cheap so put in as much as you can afford because you'll get it back in heating costs. There are also lots of other types of insulation you may want to investigate - wool - polystyrene - extruded polystyrene - sheeps wool - there is also a really thin stuff which works like a reflective blanket

dont buy it online - well i wouldnt anyway - but spend as much as you can afford to do the job as well as possible because it will affect your heating bills for as long as you live in the house

hope this helps :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

thanks guys, thats the info I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Fr0g wrote:
    thanks guys, thats the info I was looking for.

Couple of tips for when you go to lay it:

Cover yourself up, glasswool insulation is really irratating to, the skin, so where overalls gloves etc.

The best way to cut the insulation to fit between the rafters is to use a standard cross cut hand saw, and cut the rolls to width required when they are still wrapped in the plastic roll. Then take your cut piece and simply roll out into the gap.

Buy a sheet of polystyrene insulation 2" thick or similar and enough to cover your cold water tank in the attic. This is because now you've insulated the attic, that tank is much more likely to freeze as there is so little heat coming from below. Lag the cold water pipes to if you have the opportunity.

Advertisement