Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get around not having static IP

Options
  • 13-11-2004 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi,

Currently in process of figuring out a way to give myself access to a private network app on a router offsite from my location. I have IBB ripwave, and hence have a dynamic IP. I had intended to use a service like no-ip.com, but the router will only accept an IP address in the access list, not a domain (eg 'whatever.no-ip.com').

Any way around this? I accept it may not be possible - or else I suppose we'd all have dynamic IP's... ;)

cheers,
    lamps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Is it possible for you to set up a VPN between you and one of the networks the router is connected to? That way you could log onto the VPN from home, effectively having the same IP address all the time as far as the router is concerned. Of course if the router is the only link to the outside and is only routing certain IPs...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Sico wrote:
    Is it possible for you to set up a VPN between you and one of the networks the router is connected to? That way you could log onto the VPN from home, effectively having the same IP address all the time as far as the router is concerned. Of course if the router is the only link to the outside and is only routing certain IPs...

Yup, unfortunatly the router is set up to deny all..the internal network isnt really designed to be made public. I had hoped to allow my own IP through, and deny 0.0.0.0 - a similar rule is currently set up for another employee, who does have a static IP and can use the internal web server no hassle.

ta,
    lamps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Valehru

Im currently on IOLBB....What I did was to have the DSL Modem work as a bridge so its just transfering data to the router and then simply have my router access dyndns.org to update constantly with my IP. Then you simply forward the port to the computer on your network where you are hosting the service. That way your computer will remain to have a static IP and your routers IP will be dynamic. It shouldnt be that hard to do....

Advertisement