Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden disks rip off (moved from Bargains-merc)

Options
  • 13-11-2004 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi
    What a rip off (live aid 4 box dvd set) 59.95 euro in golden disks nutgrove
    cdnow website 29.95 euro inc p&p man what a rip off what you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

€60 is the price most brick and motar shops will be selling it. CDwow must have got a really good dealer price on it, it's €47.99 on play.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Milo

It's true that you can get stuff cheaper on the net (cdwow and play!)... I bought grand theft auto: san andreas on cd wow for €47 which is about €15 cheaper than in the shops!
    That said some of the "sale" items in both HMV and Golden Discs can be good value... You just have to do as Mary Harney says (I never thought I'd see the day I'd agree with that *insert appropriate expletive*) and shop around eg the other day I saw 5th element special in HMV for €30 and it wasn't much cheaper on play or cdwow but Golden Discs were selling it for €15.95!!
    Anyway nuff said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi

sopranos box sets are up to 100 euro in golden dicsc as opposed to 40 euro in xtravision,most box sets are way over priced in golden discs so do your self a favour and shop around first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

nutgrove's a dump anyway, dont bother shopping there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The only plus is that the 21% VAT that's included in the €6o is going to be refunded back to the Live Aid charities. That may not happen with online purchases.

Anyway you can't beat CD Wow for service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

BrianD wrote:
    The only plus is that the 21% VAT that's included in the €6o is going to be refunded back to the Live Aid charities. That may not happen with online purchases.

So buy it from norway for under €25 and you can give €35 to charity if you want instead of a tenner in VAT and filling Mr Golden discs' gold lined pockets, they'd want to be golden discs at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

BrianD wrote:

I gave a lot of money that night enough is enough dont you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

As a rule I never go into Golden Discs but I got a 20 euro gift token for that place and SIX MONTHS LATER I'm still trying to get rid of it because all the GD's in town have a such crap range and anything they have seems to be overpriced relative to anywhere else.

How exactly they are still in business puzzles me, and more puzzling is WTF would anyone who wanted to give me a gift token get it from that place? Do they flog them for half price or something?

I would have recycled it as a gift but the kind individual wrote my bloody name on it! :mad:

"Cash, the gift tokens that work in every shop."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

there's many a bargain to be found in golden discs. like al the shops in town that sell cds and dvds they all have stuff that are overly expensive (alien director's cut 40 euro in hmv) and they all have their bargains if ur lucky to come across them.i think, pigman, you should remind urself your under no obligation to buy from goldendiscs unless u find something at good value. and concerning ur voucher, as i said above there are good value things there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

there's many a bargain to be found in golden discs. like al the shops in town that sell cds and dvds they all have stuff that are overly expensive (alien director's cut 40 euro in hmv) and they all have their bargains if ur lucky to come across them.i think, pigman, you should remind urself your under no obligation to buy from goldendiscs unless u find something at good value. and concerning ur voucher, as i said above there are good value things there.

I thnbk your missing the point Kev.

The average item for sale is over priced. This has to be company policy, given the scale of their operations.
    Yes, occasionly they try to sell stock they havent shifted, at a discount, but that discount only just makes it reasonble priced, eg 20% discount = normal web price.

The only way they and other retailers will change is if the average consumer actually votes with their feet.

I personally though Tesco's recent move to sell chart CD's for €13.99, and chart DVD's for €19.99 was a brave move for a bricks n mortar operation. A step in the right direction, because hopefully others will have to respond to Tesco''s price cuts, and we might actually see competition on CD's DVD and Game's on the high street.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Well Golden Discs can sometimes have good bargains... i got Season Two of Alas there last week for only 20 euro.... its 90 in HMV

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Had the same problem as Pigman-only reason I have been in Golden Discs was to get rid of a €25 voucher that I was given so I was delighted to come across the Alias box set after 5 months of having the bloody voucher in my wallet.

As to the Live Aid- rupect has the right idea- get it as cheap as possible and if you want give the difference to whatever charity you want.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

The mind boggles when you see so many people continue to shop in places that are known to be way more expensive than others. I think there's too much of a snobbery complex with some people in Ireland and they think it's uncool to get stuff cheaper.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

gazzer wrote:
    Well Golden Discs can sometimes have good bargains... i got Season Two of Alas there last week for only 20 euro.... its 90 in HMV
    May I ask which branch? Wouldn't mind picking up a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Why not swop or flog it in the B+S?
    10 or 20% discount for cash should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

The Alias DVD Season 2 set was in Golden Discs on Grafton Street- had them on a stand between the two shops while work is being done on the Arcade. The other box sets were downstairs on the music side....was about week and a half ago now so not sure if they still have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flamin moe

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi

just checked on cd-wow. they have live aid (region 2) dvd for sale at £30.99 - so your talking about €45ish.

there is no point in exagerating the difference. and if that is the price, just dont buy from golden discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Moe, you may not know this, but often you can get cdwow goods cheaper, if you go to their norway site or other regional varients!

Delivery is still free .. but usually you can save a euro or so.

Dont assume the price wasnt correct when posted by Carpenter.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flamin moe

Moe, you may not know this, but often you can get cdwow goods cheaper, if you go to their norway site or other regional varients!

X

oops, apologies if i am mistaken. just annoys me when people moan about prices in this country, yet still pay for them, when a cheaper version is readily available.

whats the norway address???

• Advertisement

flamin moe wrote:
    just checked on cd-wow. they have live aid (region 2) dvd for sale at £30.99 - so your talking about €45ish.

there is no point in exagerating the difference. and if that is the price, just dont buy from golden discs.
    look again the price is what i said and just got it today

flamin moe wrote:
    oops, apologies if i am mistaken. just annoys me when people moan about prices in this country, yet still pay for them, when a cheaper version is readily available.

whats the norway address???
    by the way i am not moaning just letting people know do you understand?
    moe

X
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Alias DVD Season 2 set was in Golden Discs on Grafton Street..
    Got it on the Talbot Street branch - cheers! biggrin.gif That's quite a bit cheaper than any of the online stores. Next up is to pick up Season 1 on cdwow for €29.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Hello all , a true newbie here.

The wife bought me 'dermot morgan live' dvd last christmas at GD for 9.99.

This year in the 'sale price' its 12.99. During the year it was 14.99.

Is there such a thing as a GDisk sale or do they just change the STICKERS???

Advertisement