Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fast growing tree

Options
  • 13-11-2004 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

can anyone suggest a tree which grows pretty fast to give shelter and privacy around a house - i know that the cypress leylandia does this but i have heard a lot of negative stuff about sowing them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Alder is pretty fast and works well in exposed sites.

For more info go to Coillte
    The Garden Shop, or this

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

Eucalyptus grow reasonably fast and there is a great variety of them.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Milkman wrote:

M.
    Hmmmmmm, ya got me thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Milkman wrote:
    True, but they'll suck up every spare millilitre of water and nutrients from the soil in the area in order to achieve these growth rates, so don't plan on growing anything else in the immediate area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What do you want from the tree, shelter or a private garden, Eucalyptus trees dont like the wind, i found this out the hard way, but in a sheltered area they have savage growth, so does the varigated poplar (spelling?) anyway they have huge growth levels buy the roots can rip up driveways etc.

How exposed an area are you in, we had to get a shelter bed going in the west of ireland about 15 years ago, so i guess it depends on the conditions you are talking about, a great and tough tree/shrub would be commonly known as Oleria (spelling again) it can get fairly high and is evergreen, it has the dark green leaf with a silver backing, a waxy finish protects from wind and salt.
    In a city garden i like the cypress leylandia smell nice etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

How exposed an area are you in,

pretty exposed - on top of a high hill with not much shelter - that's why we want the trees

when you say eu dont like wind - do you mean that they could die or what ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Eucalyptus have quite a shallow root system, most of which is confined to the top 2 feet or so of soil (which is where most of the nutrients are) and which spread out over quite a wide area. This is why it's difficult to grow anything else close to them, but also makes them fairly prone to uprooting in strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I agree on the Eucalyptus, I had one in a garden great for wet poorly drained soil. But it lent badly due to the prevailing wind in a relatively sheltered area.
    What height do you wish to achieve?

Advertisement