Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soooo Pissed off!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

tk123 wrote:
    Sasper stay away from that place in the Arcade - they are **** - I went to school with somebody who knew the peeps who ran that place and they used to spread rumours abt the other piercing places in town!! One time I heard this girl telling everyone in school how clean it was etc and how it was much safer to get pierced with a gun and that they heard that somebody went into Bodyshock to get bellybutton and the needle went into their abdomen and punctured their guts!!! She didn't know that Paddy is a friend of my bro - they weren't pleased when i told them the strory!! :D

the pierced gut happened back in 1997 and was in gorges st arcade the gun was broken and when he pierced the 14 year old girl the whole earing went into her gutt.

body shock isnt so great firstly they dont care to much.. if your too young to get pierced ask your parents. go get the right information an tell them. i was lucky enough that when i went to rebel i looked 18 and never got asked for id. i since told the shop that pierced me and they laughed about was a good day.

dont get done with the gun its stupid. and not meaning to sound bad but Sasper you dont seem to know alot about piercings do your homework before you go doing stuff to your self... would you dies your hair with out reading the instuctions???

any to ever get pierced in gorges are lucky if they dont reject or get infected.

they go by a code of practice which means they cover them selfs from risks such as piercing under agers they photo copy everything in case it goes to court to prove that they were in the right or knew no better

does the fact that the place has been closed down time after time after time mean nothing??? my friends all swore by gorges st ok and didnt agree with it. none of my piercings turned bad years down the line but my friens have one girl lost al feeling after gettin a pierced lip still cant feel hot or cold

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't know why i've let this thread drag on, who wants to read about idiots defending the dodgiest piercing place in the world!
    Closing this thread in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭church

i totally agree that georges arcade is a disgrace and should be closed down. not only is it filthy and they use guns but i think it completely eliminates any sort of "experience" that can be had while getting a piercing.

but, i agree with this comment to an extent:
    This post has been deleted.

i get all my piercings done in snakebite and have nothing bad to say about them but the way most of the reputable places in dublin operate is crazy when it comes to their prices. they overcharge by a massive amount on jewellery as ive said before on a different thread and they do the same for piercings.

it costs about 1.00 for the needle, lets say a 4 quid for a piece of standard jewellery and then factor in about 8 euro per piercing for gloves, pens and the running of the autoclave and so on and i think that ive been quite generous with them figures. so thats 13.00... how much does it cost to get your nipple, eyebrow, genitals or lip pierced? they're making 20 to 50 quid on most piercings.

also when they tell you to come back and change the jewellery you're going to be getting someone elses used jewellery off them as most places seem to do this in dublin. there would be killings if that went on in america.

what i think is that georges arcade is going to continue wrecking peoples bodies until reasonable prices are introduced here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

church wrote:
    it costs about 1.00 for the needle, lets say a 4 quid for a piece of standard jewellery and then factor in about 8 euro per piercing for gloves, pens and the running of the autoclave and so on and i think that ive been quite generous with them figures. so thats 13.00... how much does it cost to get your nipple, eyebrow, genitals or lip pierced? they're making 20 to 50 quid on most piercings.

also when they tell you to come back and change the jewellery you're going to be getting someone elses used jewellery off them as most places seem to do this in dublin. there would be killings if that went on in america.

How much to have your penis replaced?

An autoclave is used when jewellery is reused and it is good enough for dentists and doctors so why should it bother people who are being pierced?

i know the jewellery is now clean but its still a bit manky when you think about it, same as reusable nappies. with the price they charge for the jewellery i'd expect a new, top quality piece, not one thats all scratched when you look at it closely.
    Blub2k4 wrote:
    How much to have your penis replaced?

whats your point? just because the artist is good they should be able to charge whatever they want? or that if they pierce it for cheaper they'll mess it up because they can only pierce well when being paid stupid amounts of money?

its called training. if its cheep wu hu i've had stuff done cheep but by trainned people the problem with the likes or gorges st are they arent trainned.. as a joke i asked for a job there and got it. my first day was on a till the next was watch stuff being done and then he said.. " you look like your into piercings are you any good? you can have a shot with the next one if you want!"
    eh hello i was there 3 days!!!!!
    in any PROFESSIONAL piercing salon you need at least 2 years training!

Have you any *idea* how expensive rent is in Dublin? I shudder to think what Bodyshock are paying for their shop in the middle of Temple Bar!

When do you ever see piercing places full? Only on a Saturday in my experience. I'm sure they only get a handful of customers during the day on a weekday.
    I don't think they overcharge in Dublin. It's on a par with places i've been to in London and Toronto.

i'm aware of their training and what it entails.

ive never been in snakebite when there was no other customers except maybe once or twice and i never go in at weekends or peak times. surely if most places can afford to keep a few piercers employed they're doing alright.
    don't get me wrong but i don't begrudge anyone thats gone through an apprenticeship a decent wage but for everyone georges arcade get, a reputable place could have done a superior job and made a decent profit.

ive never been pierced abroad so i don't know how much they charge but i have bought jewellery abroad. new good quality stuff for cheaper than the scratched up second hand stuff you get off some places here.

• Advertisement

church wrote:
    whats your point? just because the artist is good they should be able to charge whatever they want? or that if they pierce it for cheaper they'll mess it up because they can only pierce well when being paid stupid amounts of money?

YOU are answering your own point man, the artist ( and note you use the word artist) should not be able to charge whatever they want.
    Does the arcade place do genital piercings etc? No one has answered that yet.

Point is that training is indeed an issue, The Snakebite apprenticeship is 6 or 7 years, they learn about anatomy and where not to stick needles etc, in short they are professionals who will stand by their work and consult on any piercing they have done for years after the piercing, none of this could be said about Georges St Arcade, they are not a real piercing studio, they fill a niche market which should be reserved for ear piercing, in all honesty guns were used for years and years as the only option, my ears were done with guns in the 80's they can still be useful for doing ears (not as safe as proper piercing, but not murderously deadly) to wield a gun to do any other part of the anatomy is ignorant.

To sum it up I would rather someone with a good track record and an idea of anatomy to pierce me, if this means that they get another few quid then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

dublin prices are on par with most big cities i'd say. i got my nipple pierced in amsterdam, 50e, which is roughly what you'd pay here i think. i was looking at the pricelist and everything was roughly the same.
    besides isn't Snakebite on of the cheaper proper studios in dublin?

Seraphina wrote:
    dublin prices are on par with most big cities i'd say. i got my nipple pierced in amsterdam, 50e, which is roughly what you'd pay here i think. i was looking at the pricelist and everything was roughly the same.
    besides isn't Snakebite on of the cheaper proper studios in dublin?

I know Holland pretty well and to be honest 50e is about 110 or more Guilders in the old currency and that was a LOT of money in Holland, I would think that if anything cost of living wise that they were very expensive relatively although there is also the A'dam premium to take into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

I set up my own piercing Joint. Its called Scribblingchimps Body Piercings

My mate John (my first customer) wanted an unusual piercing something unique.

After much thought we came up with a good idea.
    We figured everyone gets their ears, nose, belly buttons pierced.
    but who has ever got their ass piereced and I dont mean with a little bar.
    Im talking something teh size of an exhaust pipe - You know so that it really stands out.

I have enclosed a picture of me and my team at work. If your a bit squimish I suggest you dont look as there is a little blood.

Sassor if ya want your belly done give me a hollar ill sort ya out no bother :D

Maybe we got go one size bigger

Rafter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

/me holds ass

jesus christ that looks painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

So anytakers - what do ya say Sasper

Ill give ya a 50% discount

We are also doing a special on crowbar insertions ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

church wrote:

And do you mind me asking where you got this information from.A friend of mine owns his own place and would never ever use anyones old jewellery autoclave or not.
    Personally when I get jewellery changed I insist on seeing the packet being opened in front of me and if they dont then I buy the jewellery elsewhere and just get my mate to change it.
    And if someone is stupid enough not to ask for this then thats their own fault.
    The tattoo/piercing business has enough bad press without idiotic statements like the above being made about them.Back it up with some facts and then Ill believe your arguments.

True, i'd like to see church back up that accusation with fact.
    I've had jewellery changed in Snakebite, Celestial ring and Bodyshock and they all used brand new jewellery.

I went in to have a piercing stretched recently and seeing the autoclave there asked what they recycle, he said the metal in my ring would not be.
    It depends on the material that is used AFAIK, some of them can be autoclaved and recycled the ring I had taken out he said cannot be recycled. He did open a new packet for the ring I had replaced, but it is easy to autoclave and then repack in sterile packs if you have the equipment. Am not sure 100% which ones are recycled but I am pretty sure it happens.

<edit> am looking at getting another stretch done and may pop in to ask this evening about the recycling autoclaving thing, although the phantom will possibly have answered this by the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Blub2k4 asked my opinion on this so AFAIK it is possible to partially recycle scratched jewellery by getting the whole piece rebuffed down and then autoclaving it in other words repeating the final stage of the manufacture process so that the original surface of it is gone. I remember reading how all of this is done on what I though was the wildcat website but I can't seem to find it now so perhaps it was another.
    I doubt any piercing studio gets this done with old jewellery unless possibly for a client who had damaged a favourite piece of jewellery as it would be nearly as expensive as new jewellery. I highly doubt that any reputable studio autoclaves and re-uses old jewellery as it's just not good business sense/client appreciation to re-use someone elses barbells in a fresh piercing because any surface scratching could harbour bacteria once the piece is inserted.
    I'm guessing that old jewellery made of surgical SS is sent back to the manufacturers to be melted down as this would be the only real way of re-using it and things like tygon/ptfe body bars disposed of as bio-waste.

Sorry I can't give any actual tangible information, i've been looking through google but I can't find any sites that describe the jewellery making process. i'll be going into metalworks next week so maybe Luke will be able to answer the question.

• Advertisement

there was a huge debate about reusing jewellery on bme last year in the qod part and the staff on it were split over wether or not its a good idea.

as far as i know and i'm almost positive that it happens in one of the more reputable places in dublin. why don't you ring around and ask the different places if you dont believe me. i bought a scratched up piece from the place i'm taking about.

there was a huge debate about reusing jewellery on bme last year in the qod part and the staff on it were split over wether or not its a good idea.

as far as i know and i'm almost positive that it happens in one of the more reputable places in dublin. why don't you ring around and ask the different places if you dont believe me. i bought a scratched up piece from one place.
    the jewellery is put into them packets before the autoclaving process and kept in the whole way through if i remember correctly. you have no idea if you have a new piece or not and none of them are going to be too quick to offer up that information.

church wrote:

as far as i know and i'm almost positive that it happens in one of the more reputable places in dublin. why don't you ring around and ask the different places if you dont believe me. i bought a scratched up piece from one place.
    the jewellery is put into them packets before the autoclaving process and kept in the whole way through if i remember correctly. you have no idea if you have a new piece or not and none of them are going to be too quick to offer up that information.

You mustn't be all that observant if you can't tell the difference between new and secondhand jewellery. New surgical SS jewellery and even well made 316L SS will have an absolutely perfect, blemish free mirror finish whereas old jewellery will show minute scratching and signs of wear and tear and a loss of sheen on the surface no matter how much it's autoclaved.
    Secondly i'm not bothered about ringing piercing shops in Dublin as I get all of my work done in Metalworks in Galway and have always respected them for the utmost proffessionalism and care that all of the staff there give their clients but from what I have heard from others including close friends who know their autoclave from their a*us about the reputation of the 3 main popular studios in Dublin (Bodyshock, Celestial ring and snakebite) I highly doubt that they re-use old jewellery as they have an excellent client reputation.

so tell me then, when you get anything stretched in snakebite they offer you a trade in service. you buy the first piece off them and when you want to get stretched to a larger size they take the old piece off you and charge a little less for the next size up. my understanding of this scheme was that they are autoclaving and reselling the jewellery.

if you go to the APP website http://www.safepiercing.com and look at their guidlines you'll be surprised to see the things that aren't done here.

Firstly as I said I don't go to any piercers in Dublin but most piercers will change jewellery for free and give discounts on new jewellery to returning customers because it is a good business practice. If someone gets a good service and a few quid knocked off any new things they get then of course they're going to keep returning and recommend the place to others thus that means more new clients for the studio. I went to Metalworks recently to get my 2 week old nipple piercings checked and while I was there I bought a pair of 2.4mm rings for my lobes. Luke sold me the pair which came from their autoclaved piercing jewellery box for 10 euro. I was quoted 22 euro for the same thing in Irish Ink. I recently bought an enlarging crescent in metalworks for 15 euro and most places on the net charge about £15/$25 dollars before shipping.
    Also what do you mean by things on the APP site that aren't done here?
    I've always been treated according to this list.

A Piercee’s Bill of Rights
    EVERY PERSON BEING PIERCED HAS THE RIGHT:

To be pierced in a scrupulously hygienic, open environment, by a clean, conscientious piercer wearing a fresh pair of disposable latex gloves.
    To a sober, friendly, calm and knowledgeable piercer, who will guide them through their piercing experience with confidence and assurance.
    To the peace of mind which comes from knowing that their piercer knows and practices the very highest standards of sterilization and hygiene.
    To be pierced with a brand new, completely sterilized needle, which is immediately disposed of in a medical sharps container after use on the piercee alone.
    To be touched only with freshly sterilized, appropriate implements, properly used and disposed of or resterilized in an autoclave prior to use on anyone else.
    To know that piercing guns are NEVER appropriate, and are often dangerous, when used on anything including earlobes.
    To be fitted only with jewelry which is appropriately sized, safe in material, design, and construction, and which best promotes healing. Gold-plated, gold-filled, and sterling silver jewelry are never appropriate for any new or unhealed piercing.
    To be fully informed about proper aftercare, and to have continuing access to their piercer for consultation and assistance with all their piercing-related questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

As has previously been said, there is no age limit law for piercing in Ireland. However, most piercers operate on a basis that allows only those over 18 to be pierced, and anyone younger must have parental consent. I would assume that this is for two reasons, the first being to avoid any legal issues with a minor's parents and the second being that it is hard to gauge how diligent a teenager would be in their aftercare regime through one conversation.
    I have been interested in piercing, tattooing and other forms of body modification for about four/five years at this point, but being a minor without parental consent I can't get pierced and I'm not about to go to some place like the booth in George's Street arcade that has a reputation for not asking for age. I went through the phase of whinging about not being able to get pierced, but even then I did not want to go somewhere that would stick a gun to my cartilage, just for the sake of something I could wait a few years for. And hey, i'm happy to wait, it may even reward me because 1. I have time to consider what I want done and its future implications 2. I can get it done by someone who is trusted and 3. I can show my parents that its a genuine interest, not some teenage fad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

ZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZz

Blub2k4 wrote:
    YOU are answering your own point man, the artist ( and note you use the word artist) should not be able to charge whatever they want.
    Does the arcade place do genital piercings etc? No one has answered that yet.
    no they dont

no they dont

I didn't think so, so we are actually discussing a studio ( I use the term lightly) that is not really a piercers in the modern sense.
    :rolleyes:

Like I said they have a niche and if you are stupid enough to use them then on your head be it.

• Advertisement

the jewlery is disposted of straight away not resold. giving past clients discount is great if you get something pierced that swells and needs a larger bar as precausion then who would go to them if they charged you to fit the right size one???

Advertisement