Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Power In Ireland

Options
  • 13-11-2004 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

For those who would like to discuss political theory (i.e those studying it or have a keen interest) and to help out a studant who is trying to pin the general view of different communities in Ireland.

Political power in Ireland. Where do you believe it lies?

I'm not using a poll because i want to get your opinions on where the political power in ireland lies who has the most control over what happens politically in this country.

Do you feel that there is an Elite (such as the conspiracy Illuminati or the corporations in the USA) Therefore its the Elite's choice which political party holds power.
    Historically The Landlords of the 1800's controlled the irish electorial to westminster and could be seen as an Elite over political development in Ireland.

Do you feel its a Pluralism society where numerous groups wrestle for power constantly (such as the Church, Nationlists, Unionists, Corporations etc)
    And the power who appeals to the larger number of these groups hold power.
    Historically the Catholic Church from the birth of Irish state to recently (1980s) was a very powerfull pressure group but not exactly an elite therefore could have been a powerfull Pluralist

DO you believe the Marxist theory that the Irish state is divided into a clearly defined class system and that the higher ups of this class system hold all political power.
    Historically: Left wing and Right wing politics have had little influence on Irish politics until recently, historical relevence such as the side the party was on in the civil war, its policy to the north had a much larger influence then whether they were Right or Left wing.

Do you feel its political power lies with the market.
    The polictical power which encourages the most economic growth has the most power (I think? not sure about this one)
    Historically: Fianna Fail has been surviving in power because it promises primarily on Economic success over any other policies and their luck to be in office during the Celtic Tiger secured them huge kudos with the general populace.

So where do you feel political power lies.

Before this turns into a political rant about whats wrong with ireland or a certain political party try and use political theory in your debate rather then the "Armchair politics" to coin a phrase from another post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    So where do you feel political power lies.
    All over the place. In pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's not black and white, merely a selection of grey. Of, course, some are greyer than others.*

* Reference to John Major's Y-fronts is deliberate, if obscure. Sceptre, gimme teh karma loving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Do you feel its political power lies with the market.
    Well, the market plays a part in both pluralist and Marxist viewpoints. And both those viewpoints moved towards each other. Pluralists have accepted that the capitalist market produces hierarchies of power, and Marxists have accepted that class isn't the only form of social division. And both those approaches agree that social elites (i.e. groups with privileged access to power) emerge because of the market, but also that they have cultural bases.

So I think this explains Ireland. Bit of everything, like. There seems to be an important urban-rural cleavage. But the urban centres are more class-based. Nonetheless, there's more social mobility so money talks. The political power of politicians is based on a sort of politico-tribal basis, but social partnership creates channels for the interaction of politicians, capitalists and trades unions. Seems like a big mess to me. I dunno, I'm sure there's books on it. Google for Peadar Kirby.

Advertisement