Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Towing Dolly - have you used one ?

Options
  • 13-11-2004 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Have any of you guys ever used a towing dolly to tow a car ?

See pic -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope but I have towed horseboxes and such. I'd imagine as its a "rigid" its much the same. i.e easy once you've got used to the idea theres over a tonne behind you!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

True.

However, most of the dollys I have seen here in Ireland swivel below the front axle of the towed vehicle, i.e. the towing dolly's 'turntable' (and obviously they also swivel on the tow hitch) ?

(I just used the pic above, from the net, to show what I was referring to)

I guess many of them here are made locally ('home-made') as opposed to the 'factory-made' one in the pic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

I havn't used a dolly, but I have used an "A frame" many times. They are very easy to use, very stable as all 4 wheels of the car are on the ground. Can be a little bit mucky setting one up when it is raining (every time I used an A frame it was raining :( )

Yeah, I too have used an A-frame on several occassions - very handy device !.......though you have to be careful that it doesn't 'jacknife' when cornering :eek: (the same would apply to a dolly - if to a lesser extent).

Actually, I came across a UK site selling A-frames - www.aframes.co.uk

Is that where you bought yours ?

This is the type of dolly we usually see in use in Ireland -

http://www.mhi.i12.com/LIBRARY/dolly.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement