Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Literary Quotes

Options
  • 01-08-2001 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

To start, I always liked Nietzche's

"Man is a rope, tied across an abyss..."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Schwarzfahren

There's a Nietzsche quote to suit every occasion. Which book is that one from?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

"Thus spoke Zarathustra"

spelling might be off, but i think you might be able to get it cheap down at waterstones, they're having their summer sale.

How've things been anyway John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known."

-Sidney Carlton, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Bob the Unlucky Octopus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sourcing from the Discworld Meister:

'You have the right to remain silent,' he [Carrot] said. 'You have the right not to injure yourself falling down the steps
    on the way to the cells. You have the right not to jump out of high windows. You do not have to say anything, you
    see, but anything you do say, well, I have to take it down and it might be used as evidence.' Guards Guards

Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself,' said the Patrician (...). 'The world
    would be a happier place if more people remembered that.' Guards Guards

Ninety percent of true love is acute, ear-burning embarrassment.
    [p. 160] Wyrd Sisters

'Just because you can explain it doesn't mean it's not still a miracle.'
    [p. 253] Small Gods

'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name is Bad.'
    [p. 102] Interesting Times

There are many reasons for being friends with someone. The fact that he's pointing a deadly weapon at you is
    among the top four.
    [p. 87] The Last Continent

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Captain January slaps a large package on the floor by his desk. "And this is the final product of all our industry. My wife likes to show an interest in my work. She asked me for a souvenir. I'm sending her a gook."
    ----
    The Short Timers, Chapter 2, 'Body Count'

We bury the enemy rats with full military honors--we scoop out a shallow grave and we dump them in.
    We sing:

So come along and sing our song
    And join our fam-i-ly
    M.I.C....K.E.Y....M.O.U.S.E.
    Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse...

"Dear God," says Mr. Payback, looking up into the ugly sky. "These rats died like Marines. Cut them some slack. Ah-men."
    We all say, "Ah-men."
    ----
    The Short Timers, Chapter 2, 'Body County'

Lieutenant Shortround says, "Okay, Mother, where'd you souvenir the chow?"
    Animal Mother spits. He grins, baring rotten teeth. "I stole it."
    "You stole it, sir."
    "Yeah, I stole it...sir."
    "That's looting. They shoot people for that."
    "I stole it from the Army...sir."
    "Outstanding. It is part of your duty as a Marine to harass our sister services. Carry on."
    ----
    The Short Timers, Chapter 2, 'Body Count'

"You. Yeah--you. Private Joker. I like you. You can come over to my house and **** my sister." He [Gunnery Sergeant Gerheim] grins. Then his face goes hard. "You little scumbag. I got your name. I got your ass. You will not laugh. You will not cry. You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you."
    ----
    The Short Timers, Chapter 1, 'The Spirit of the Bayonet'

-Dark-Angel-

P.S: I've actually got loads of faviort quotes, many, many from LoTR, but I only just recently finished reading The Short Timers (The Book Full Metal Jacket was based on) and I thought it was quite good... And funny. wink.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement