Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God damn daedalus

• 14-11-2004 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Yes its yet another how do I get past the admins post...

All I want to do is communicate with ppl quickly and cheaply. The computers in the daedalus (sp) dont let you use MSN or IRC or any chatroom for that matter. Is there any way other than bulliten boards to have a chat over the internet - having a flowing conversation is the aim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Theres an online version of msn but personally i dont think its fair to be using computers for things like IM conversations when other people are qeuing to print notes or write something,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

I used to feel guilty about that too, but then i started using the computers in the Agriculture building whenever i was on Campus and found that since hardly anyone was using them, there was no smear on my conscience for abusing them ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

hmm agriculture building you say...interesting... ;) and where in this building would one find these contraptions (so i dont seem like a tit wandering around looking for them...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If you're referring to MSN web messenger [ http://webmessenger.msn.com/?mkt=en-us ]
    that’s blocked.
    When contacting multiple ppl around Ireland at the same time msn or IRC is the best way. I do realize that there will be times when the computers are in short supply but alot of the time they're not. Besides its not like Im going to be spending very long at these conversations at a time [insert chauvinistic comment].

Ordinarily I have my own laptop but unfortunately last Friday I didnt and I needed to get in contact with ppl. Can you help me out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

try texts msgs...? either via ur fon, or free webtexts from ur server or oceanfree.net..?

• Advertisement

All I want to do is communicate with ppl quickly and cheaply.
    having a flowing conversation is the aim

Txtings not really a suitable way of doing things. Its awkward slow and unless you're all meteor or all using webtexts its expensive. Plus its not gr8 4 talkin 2 multiple ppl [sic]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Alana wrote:
    hmm agriculture building you say...interesting... ;) and where in this building would one find these contraptions (so i dont seem like a tit wandering around looking for them...)

well, you walk in the main entrance to Ag block and on your left hand side you can see what can only be described as a big glass box with a high computer:students ratio :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

If you're referring to MSN web messenger [ http://webmessenger.msn.com/?mkt=en-us ] that’s blocked.

Last time i checked (bout a week ago) web msn was still available in daedalus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If you're referring to MSN web messenger [ http://webmessenger.msn.com/?mkt=en-us ]
    that’s blocked.
    That's news to me I use it in Linux all the time, I'll check on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

AFAIK the netsoc IRC channels are not blocked. And they run an IM client that can use the MSN network AFAIR.

What with that and Tetris you have no excuse not to join netsoc. :)

• Advertisement

Well then it must have just been a tempotary thing, thats good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

http://amsn.sourceforge.net works great for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

AMSN works a treat - and much less bandwidth since you don't have those silly advertisements.

Advertisement