Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fave Crime Writers

Options
  • 02-07-2001 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

ok, i'll start with chandler and hammet. i'll toss in runyon, simply cuase most of his characters are crims. then there's jim thomspon. james ellroy, carl hiaasen and the sparkle hayter bks but not elmore leonard, kinky friedman or joe lansdale. from france, daniel penac.

[This message has been edited by SweetBirdOfTruth (edited 06-07-2001).]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

More into Historical who-dunnits
    - Elis Peters' Brother Caldalf in the middle-ages
    - Lindsey Davis' Falco in ancient Rome
    + an honourable mention to GK Chesterton's Ft. Brown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

john connolly is xlnt (irish too and writes for the times) - very silence of the lamb'sy
    michael connolly is another
    and reginald hill (him of daziel and pascoe fame)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

picked up a connoly cheap at the wkend, h+f sale, lking fwd to lashing into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

lessee..where do i start...

James Ellroy (The King), Carl Hiaassen, Lawrence Block, Ross Thomas, Elmore Leonard, Hammet, Chandler..i could go on and on, but they are my faves..

Who is The Beefy King ?

Owing to an administrative error, the Pope had been replaced by Lemmy from Moterhead...

starting into connoly's it can't go on ... v lit for a crime novel. interesting style, jumping from 3rd to 1st to 3rd person narative. a kinda sing-song nursery rhyme feel to some of the thoughts in in, and a hint of beckett (well the title's a grab from sam, innit?). will see how it goes over the nxt few chapters

• Advertisement

oooops. wrong connolly. joseph instead of john. buggeration take the nation.

rd an evanovich, didn't realy enjoy it.

starting into loren d estelman's amos walker stuff, someone over on the guardian book boards suggested him. v chandler but in an acceptable kinda way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ed McBain is a personal favorite.

[This message has been edited by Dustaz (edited 16-07-2001).]

Loren D Estelman's Amos Walker stuff. the bright side of chandler meets the darkside of hammett. practically perfect, in a pulp sorta way. have rd 4 of em now, have another 2 at home still to rd (this wkend maybe).

most of the current editions have an afterword from estelman, talking about the bk / series / crime writing / detroit, and some of them have an additional short story too.

blah blah blah yada yada yada but what's a guy to say? seriously. if you're into chandler &/or hammett and you're lking for something new, have a lk at estelman's stuff.

also rd a couple of james ellroy's last wkend, crime wave and silent terror, and have decided he's just a crime-writing stephen king. still, am lking fwd to getting me teeth into the american tabloid sql.

• Advertisement

also (i will stop posting in a min, i promise) there's a new daniel pennac out, well worth rding, passion fruit it's called.

[damn tpyos - will i ever learn?]

[This message has been edited by SweetBirdOfTruth (edited 03-08-2001).]

finally (honest!) jim thompson. i can only manage one thompson a month. short as theyt are they're just soooo bleak and ... well they suck you in. after dark my sweet last month, the golden gizmo this

Advertisement