Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ASUS WL-500g Wireless Router success story

• 14-11-2004 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

just got my wireless network set up after endless hours (days even?) of tweaking and endless problems (connected it to a ZyXEL DSL modem), but with a great final result and thought i'd let anyone on the lookout for a good wireless router to seriously consider this beauty - the ASUS WL-500g.

one of the main reasons for me posting here for anyone reading is also because the latest beta firmware from ASUS allows for bandwidth limiting based on IP, port etc. etc. so if you have a number of machines connected (like in my household) everyone is entitled to a minimum download and upload KBps and maximum download and upload KBps at any one time - which is a great feature and missing in almost all other wireless routers i have seen.

if you add the above to print server (have a HP laser printer connected in my setup), web cam server (not tested, dont use) and FTP server (tested, works, but dont use) functionality and the ASUS makes a great choice imo. also the newer WL-500gx model should be out soon adding USB2.0 support (1.1 on WL-500g) for faster FTP/web cam access.

my main gripe with the WL-500g however is the signal strength as it wasn't the strongest in some areas of my house (no signal in 2 specific places) - but that could be a combination of my wireless cards also, i dont know. you can change the power output of the device above the default 19, but i have read that 20 is the maximum allowed by E.U. law - so setting it to the max of 84 is a no go and shouldn't be an option in the WL-500g's sold in Europe imo if what i read is true.

anyways, just thought i'd share my joy on this forum as it was frustrating for me just choosing the wireless router to go for many months (yes months) ago, yet alone getting it set up.

Advertisement