Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple user accounts

Options
  • 14-11-2004 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

ARGH, used the wrong nick... ah well.

Just wondering what boardsie's policy on multiple user accounts is. Seen a few places that frowns on them to the point of bannination, but just wondering what the story was here, PI guest posting aside that is...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I hate it when people use multiple accounts.

Can you see the time where someone uses their seven or eight nicks to give you neg rep.

Ban them I say ban them all. you dont have fifteen names in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what if your account is being targeted by a crazed mod, it forces you into reregistering, might have to go down that road myself soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, I think thats highly unlikely... And with your past I'd think you brought it entirely on yourself.

For the record, I'm wholly in agreement with billy on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One user one account I have argued this for years. Anyone with mutiple accounts should be given the option of keeping one in an amnesty and in future if any are found both accounts be banned from boards.

Well, I think thats highly unlikely... And with your past I'd think you brought it entirely on yourself.

For the record, I'm wholly in agreement with billy on this one.

what past ?

• Advertisement

Do the letters PM mean anything to you? :D But I don't mean to detract this thread down that direction...

Bananayougurt having a second account in order to circumvent any disciplinary action you may have received defeats the purpose of such disciplinary action.

besides if you are sick of your username you can go to the help forum and have your name changed.

Bananayougurt having a second account in order to circumvent any disciplinary action you may have received defeats the purpose of such disciplinary action.

it wasnt disciplinary action, it was someone who doesn't like me for whatever reason abusing his position as moderator

actually it was you sending a pointless pm (song lyrics) to someone who has enough to do besides deleting crap out of their inbox.

And he's not a moderator, he's an admin... One of the originals as I understand it...

You on the other hand...

• Advertisement

actually it was you sending a pointless pm (song lyrics) to someone who has enough to do besides deleting crap out of their inbox.

can you imagine how many pointless pm's are sent, thousands i would imagine at a guess, I sent ONE, it wasn't abusive or anything close to it, yet I had my pms disabled for it, and was banned for a week for asking for them to be turned on, ecksor does not like me, and has abused his position as mod or admin or whatever to ban or limit this acount as much as he can

First off your little disagreement with the admins has nothing to do with this thread, stip trying to hijack it for your own gain, or lack thereof. If you have a problem then start another thread about it but stip trying to ruin other topics.
    can you imagine how many pointless pm's are sent, thousands i would imagine at a guess,

That's it you would IMAGINE. making statements without evidence to back it up. I only get PMs from people who need to send them to me. There have been users banned for sending unsolicited PMs to people, consider yourself lucky.
    I sent ONE, it wasn't abusive or anything close to it, yet I had my pms disabled for it,

I cannot disable your PMs, but if you sent me ONE for no reason I would most certainly add you to my ignore list.
    and was banned for a week for asking for them to be turned on,

Incorrect. you started hurling abuse in the thread you started and making smart arse remarks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2031513&postcount=17
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2031652&postcount=23

that is how you got banned for several days

Incorrect. you started hurling abuse in the thread

i hurled no abuse, please apologise to me

stop hijacking the thread and read the second link where you called ecksor a little kid.

stop hijacking the thread and read the second link where you called ecksor a little kid.

Ok billy, ill try and explain this in a simple manner, Banana sent song lyrics in a PM and got banned for it, you just gave me neg rep which is worse, if i was ecksor i could disable your pm's or ban you for that, luckily for you im not, im actually a nice guy

The comments in the neg rep were exactly the same as what I posted here in this thread, word for word. I think you know why I did that.

1. You hijacked an unrelated thread to "further your cause"
    2. You made statements which were untrue.

back on topic I would be in favour of a one off amnesty for users, as gandalf has said, for users to pick one account and keep that account alone.

I would be in favour of a one off amnesty for users, as gandalf has said, for users to pick one account and keep that account alone.

Perhaps, but only after formal declaration that a change had taken place, such as a "Please change" thread.

I dont follow doodle. I know that if you change you name it shows up at the bottom of your profile what your old nick name was. This is not the name I had when I signed up with boards, ecksor changed it for me, but my old nick is listed at the bottom of my profile under the heading "previous nicknames" or something like that

As for requesting a change I think you have to request it in the help forum.

note to bananayougurt, you are the first person in the three years i have been on boards to make it to my ignore list.

The comments in the neg rep were exactly the same as what I posted here in this thread, word for word. I think you know why I did that.

1. You hijacked an unrelated thread to "further your cause"
    2. You made statements which were untrue.

back on topic I would be in favour of a one off amnesty for users, as gandalf has said, for users to pick one account and keep that account alone.

i didnt hijack the thread, the thread is about multiple accounts, and i made the point that some people have no choice but to have them, given abuse of powers by certain mods, i don't have multiple accounts myself but am being pushed down that road, how is that not relevant to this thread

I know that if you change you name it shows up at the bottom of your profile what your old nick name was.
    So it is. Can't say that I've noticed that one before.

Yes, you do have to request a change, but what I'm suggesting is something like an IP check on the sign up page, so that if a registered person does decide to sign up as a second account, either an admin could be flagged, or an automatic message for name change be sent to an admin, who could then follow it up. I realise there could be problems for people who don'tuse the internet regularily enough for an psuedo-static IP.

Basically, what I want is for people to not sign up to a second account, but rather change the name of it. Of course, in a few peoples eyes this would defeat the point, but thats the cause...

• Advertisement

but what I'm suggesting is something like an IP check on the sign up page, so that if a registered person does decide to sign up as a second account, either an admin could be flagged, or an automatic message for name change be sent to an admin, who could then follow it up. I realise there could be problems for people who don'tuse the internet regularily enough for an psuedo-static IP.

This is already availible to the admins to the best of my knowlege, You only have to trawl through the prison forum to see how many times people who have been banned have created new accounts and have had them banned too.

dial up is dhcp, users at work are behind a proxy, very very few ppl have a unique ip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Oh this is comedy, I hate people with more then one user name, TBH Boards.ie isn't a democracy and if Ecksor or any of the admins want to ban/disable different aspects of your account they have the right. The only time I think it's unfair is if you are paying a subscription, are you Bananayoghurt?

John

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wrote:
    but what I'm suggesting is something like an IP check on the sign up page, so that if a registered person does decide to sign up as a second account, either an admin could be flagged, or an automatic message for name change be sent to an admin, who could then follow it up. I realise there could be problems for people who don'tuse the internet regularily enough for an psuedo-static IP.

Would not work in the case of a house of Boardies- who share a static IP address- as we have here. We have a single static IP address on a 1 Meg connection and then subdivide it around the house both hard and wireless with multiple routers and switches. Its not unusual for friends who live together to do something similar (esp if they're all techies like we are).

If people are screwing around with multiple accounts solely for the sake of neg repping people- well, newbies don't have any effect rep wise anyway. If people are trying to hide- well, its the internet- until you know someone is who they say they are, they could very well be Jeffrey Dalmer - caveat emptor- trust no-one.

In an ideal world it would be the right way to go- somehow if someone is determined enough they will always get around it. Eg. If I wanted to circumvent your proposal above, it would only take a little effort to either hide my IP address altogether, or change it to anything at all that I would like it to appear to be.

It should be one person, one account (with the exception of the guest accounts for PI and possibly Afterhours), I can't see it happening though.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

i didnt hijack the thread, the thread is about multiple accounts, and i made the point that some people have no choice but to have them, given abuse of powers by certain mods, i don't have multiple accounts myself but am being pushed down that road, how is that not relevant to this thread

In one of my first thread here I ended up in a bit of an exchange with the admins [ecksor included] and someone in that thread advised me to only fight the battles I could win.

You started the exchange with Ecksor that has led to your current status, You protest that it was only a PM but I would imagine it's the thinking behind the PM that led Ecksor to act as he has.

In short you picked a fight you could never win so you may put up with the consquences until he decides you have leared your lesson. Threatening new accounts etc is challenging the Admin and prolonging if not adding to your problems. My advice to you is to stop beating your chest and whinging at the same time after all you braught it on yourself and most of all in future only fight the battles you can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I never realised that schizo was tolerated on these boards :eek:

Every other forum I have ever used had a strict policy on this matter. Of course, people still pass through. I was having a discussion with 3 folk on another board and they turned out to be the same person. I tell you, I was affected for weeks afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Theres 2/3 of us in this house, each with our own account - looking at IPs is far from a *perfect* solution, though I do agree that users shouldn't have more than 1 account.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

We don't like people having multiple accounts, but it often arises for fairly innocuous reasons due to lost passwords or e-mail addresses, not realising you can get your name changed, etc etc, so we're not terribly strict about it. What I do get pissed off at (and usually ban people for although didn't in one odd case recently) is people signing up an account to circumvent a ban or a restriction. That tends to get both accounts sanctioned or banned.

Lump wrote:
    Oh this is comedy, I hate people with more then one user name, TBH Boards.ie isn't a democracy and if Ecksor or any of the admins want to ban/disable different aspects of your account they have the right. The only time I think it's unfair is if you are paying a subscription, are you Bananayoghurt?

John

i donated 50 squid if that counts,
    I just feel hard done by :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ok billy, ill try and explain this in a simple manner, Banana sent song lyrics in a PM and got banned for it, you just gave me neg rep which is worse, if i was ecksor i could disable your pm's or ban you for that, luckily for you im not, im actually a nice guy

gun.jpg

Advertisement