Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery going flat - Fiat Brava

Options
  • 14-11-2004 1:49am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The battery goes flat over the weekend - has happened over the last few weekends. No lights on, boot light is not on ( I know someone this happened to recently when the boot wasn't properly closed ) Works ok all week.

The Alternator is giving out 14.2V when the engine is idling. Thought it was the heated rear window since it's light was on so removed the it's fuse too.

Measured the current and at one stage it looked like 0.6 Amps coming out of the battery so I was all setup to go through the fuses one by one but next time I looked it was only 40mA Arrggghhhhh !!!!

Any ideas as to what it could be ???
    Even the battery was replaced and it still happens...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

always start from checking connections(clean the clamps) and earth straps :

-from battery to body
    -from body to the engine

Maybe alarm problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

sounds like a short.

use a battery connected to a bulb to see if the bulb lights <drawing current> while everything is turned off etc....

by removing a fuse one at a time u can pin point the exact cause. say, the heater or whatever.

i spent loads on my EX honda on a problem like this. ended up fixing it myself, after getting a garage to fit a few new bastterys and re condition the alternator.

bah
    it was a fuse causing a short which shouldnt have been there in the 1st place

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's one of the "services"
    0.7A leaking through the fuse for map light/glovebox/boot/radio
    It's also supposed to do the door locks - but they work fine without it.

There is also a warning light on for the door open when the ignition switch is turned on , but the door sensor switch works ok - might be a short somewhere cos no voltage on the wires from the sensor. And the circuit for the doors is not in the Haynes manual

Why does this stuff always start when the hour goes back and it gets cold ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Same thing happened on my mates Punto - battery just kept going dead on him. After replacing the battery several times he brought it to a garage - think it was a short somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Had a 1.6 '96 Brava a few years back - brilliant car to drive, but electronics always got their knickers in a twist as soon as it snowed (and I means 'snowed' literally: whether it was 1C or -5C, temperature was irrelevant).
    It would always flood the engine the second you cranked it, to the point where sparkplugs were dripping, as it commanded the engine to cold-start at -30C.
    Tried to fix it 5 times, 3 under warranty and (still not sorted within a 1 year and a half) twice after... Got so p***ed in the end I part-exed it for a Jap. I've never looked back since and will abso-f***-lutely never do "Italian" again, and that's a blood oath. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement