Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Books, what can you recommend?

Options
  • 03-08-2001 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

K,

I don't know if this should be on the programming board or else on this. Coz recently there was a bit of confusion on the Accommodation board regarding this type of problem. But anyway, it is literature!, and here is where I'm putting it!.

Right!, I would consider myself a bit of a C programmer and more so a Java programmer. Today I bought myself a copy of "Enterprise JavaBeans 2nd Edition" on O'Reilly Publishing. Seems good so far and has gotten rave reviews from the global J2EE community. My only complaint is that is only covers up to EJB spec 1.1 (and we're using 2.0 now!).

JSP on O'Reilly also. I highly recommend this, coz it does a brilliant review of HTTP @ the beginning and gets you all sorted with a web server to test your creations (Jakarta Tomcat).

My favourite book of all time is "Teach yourself C in 21 Days" by Sams[premier](of course). I got it 5 years ago, so it doesn't come with a white cover like all the newer ones. It has a blue cover with a big white 'C' on it, with a purple shadow on it. Decent description, but I don't think you will get this one anymore. But AFAIK the new ones are good also.

A C++ book I h8 is "Teach Yourself C++ 3rd Edition" on Osbourne. I got it about 3 years ago, and it cost me about £40. It is supposed to be for a C progarammer switching to C++ (structured -> OO). But it threw me straight away because it was using syntax that I found in no other C++ book. At first I thought it was using compiler specific instructions, but it turned out that it claimed to be ANSII C++.

For C/C++ I like the "Programmers Bible" by Jamsa Klander. It's huge and very comprehensive. The book starts with structured C targetting command line development. Finishes of with OO C++ on the Win32 platform. I have failed to find a more comprehensive book.

Anyway I have several others, but I would like to hear your recommendations. It can be for any language or computing dicipline.

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In general:
    Code Complete by Steve McConnell for an excellent collection of programming lore.
    Programming Perls by Bently for better ways to write algorithms.
    Mtythical Man Month by Brooks for dealing with project size developments. (Old but still relevent).

For C/C++ by Deitel & Deitel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This should be on the Accommodation board as you can build a house out of wood, and what is paper made of?

This theory is out the window, of course, if the books are printed on wood-free paper ...

Al.

Advertisement