Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Visa Waiver Programme to the US

• 14-11-2004 6:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,

I am currently in the US on the Visa Waiver Programme, which means I can stay for 3 months then have to return to the UK.

My question is, as soon as I land in the UK, can I come back to the US the following day?, or do I have to stay in the UK for a certain amount of time before I am able to return?

I have checked out Visa websites etc, but so far have not found anything to help.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Hey,

I am currently in the US on the Visa Waiver Programme, which means I can stay for 3 months then have to return to the UK.

My question is, as soon as I land in the UK, can I come back to the US the following day?, or do I have to stay in the UK for a certain amount of time before I am able to return?

I have checked out Visa websites etc, but so far have not found anything to help.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!!!
    As far as I understand* it, your visa is for 3 months out of the year i.e. you have to spend 9 months out of America before you can reapply for another visa.

*Heard it somewhere, once... probably...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

a couple of years ago i did the same thing but have stayed in Dublin for a week before going back on the visa waiver. I did it about 3 times in a row. Prepare to be grilled at customs though. Even if you go over for a weeks holidays and go back to the US (even to a different part) within a couple of months they ask you a tonne of questions about your visits. They assume the first trip was to suss out possible work or something and the second time you go over you are going to go over for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smoothjamie

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! I am prepared to be grilled at customs, sucks having an american for a boyfriend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Hey
    Im in the same boat as you only that my girlfriend is american

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! I am prepared to be grilled at customs, sucks having an american for a boyfriend!

You can go back to the US anytime but as 'bovril' said be prepare to get grilled by the authorities.
    Do not mention your boyfriend under any circumstances while being grilled by Immigration, that will raise a red flag with them straight away, they will think you are going over to get married. Make sure you have a return ticket and make sure it was not purchased in the US, make up some BS story about going over for business or Thanksgiving or something.
    Do not have anything on your person that would link you to being in the US for more than just a holiday.
    I onus is on you to convince them that you are only going for a holiday.

If they do decide not to let you in they will stamp your passport, but that does not prevent you from trying again the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I was under the impression the stamping of your passport banned you from entering the states for something like 10 years.

If you say you are going over for business they usually ask for a letter from your company. Business is a term they use for attending meetings and training. Do not under any circumstances use the word WORK as this means possibly taking the job of an american. Always say you are going to meetings and say you are combining business with a holiday.

If you are called into a room and questioned by customs and they look like they are about to stamp your passport if you want this to not happen say the following

'I would like to retract my application to enter the USA under the visa waiver program'

They will give you your passport back but you will not be allowed access. You can try again the next day.

I know someone who had their passport stamped and this is the info that was told to his work colleagues when they were travelling to the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

bovril wrote:
    I was under the impression the stamping of your passport banned you from entering the states for something like 10 years.

Not necessarily, you will only get a ten year ban if they strongly suspect (and you cannot prove otherwise) that you have previously committed 'visa fraud', in other words overstaying your 3 months of a previous visa wavier. If you can, have info. available to show (if asked) that you did not overstay the 3 months, e.g. boarding pass, pay slip from job in Ireland for dates concerned etc.

The stamp on the passport only shows that you have been refused access.

Advertisement