Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] BECKHAM TO QUIT ENGLAND AFTER FINALS

• 14-11-2004 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Looks like he is calling it a day
    BECKHAM TO QUIT ENGLAND AFTER FINALS

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=international_feed/04/11/14/SOCCER_Eng-Beckham.html&TEAMHD=soccer

England captain David Beckham has revealed how he intends to bow out of international football after the 2006 World Cup finals.

The Real Madrid midfielder, 29, is eager to play on at club level for several more years, and he is set to follow the lead of club-mates Zinedine Zidane and Luis Figo by quitting the international scene in his early thirties.

Beckham told the Daily Star Sunday: "I think the 2006 World Cup in Germany is probably as far as it will go for me as an England player."

Beckham is set to skipper England in Spain on Wednesday, on his home ground of the Bernabeu, providing he comes through Sunday night's Primera Liga match against Albacete unscathed.

Having broken two ribs during last month's match against Wales, he is eager to get back in action.

His prime objective is to now lead England into the Germany-hosted finals, and Sven-Goran Eriksson's team have made a bright start to their qualifying campaign, having taken 10 points from four matches to top European group six.

Beckham has won 76 caps and scored 15 goals for England, and although his recent performances have been criticised in some quarters, he remains a lynchpin of Eriksson's ideal line-up.

Like Alan Shearer before him, who quit England to play out the final years of his career exclusively for Newcastle, Beckham appears to believe that his performances at club level would benefit by giving up his international duties.

"I want to play on for as many years as people want to give me," he said.

"But when I start fading and the legs start getting heavy then I'll look to do something else."

He has English company now in Madrid, following the summer signings of Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate, yet the former Manchester United player admits that he could still be tempted by a return to the Premiership.

"I've always said, 'Never say never'," he added.

"There has always been the Chelsea rumour and that will probably stay there."

Advertisement