Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d MArk 2005 Crashing

Options
  • 14-11-2004 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I just reinstalled my system using RAID 0, hoping fo ra higher 3dmark

Anyway, I've reinstalled latest drivers for everyhting etc, DX9c and when I run £Dmark2005 I get the following message on the 2nd test (the one with the dancing sprite/green light

"Idirect3Ddevice9:: present failed (D3DERR_devicelost)"

Only hardware change was setting up RAID 0 - however, I did notice loads of dust and crap in the fan on my 9800 pro, which I removed. I have also noticed that its HOT, very hot near the Vid card - even though machine is very well ventilated....

I've googled on the above but very little coming up? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Does it crash for any other games? Doom III would be a good game to test with. If it only crashes during 3dMark05 then I can't see it being overheating - 9800 Pro/XTs are VERY hot and yet they can work away with no problems. If you can't see any other reason why it's crashing then you can always get yourself the Artic Cooler for the 9800 Pro - it's a very good cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

It's crashing during games also - though just freezes the game rather than giving an error message...

I don't know if its any hotter than before - its just that I have the side off now and I can feel heat from about an inch or two away from the fan/heat sink on the card it might not mean anything

I'm assuming the error message refers to a direct 3D error - but I've updated DX - I'll try with some other drivers in the meantime...

Still - anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

When I run DXdiag and do the direct 3d test, the spinning cube spins so fast I don't actually see it as a cube until it stops spinning - its the same in test7,8 and 9 - what do other people see?

If it happens during games aswell then get yourself the Artic Cooler as overheating could be the cause. Was it unstable before - during games? Are there any artifacts showing up during gameplay? Have you overclocked the Gfx card?

thing is, everything was fine before I set up the raid 0, so I'm certain a cooler is not the required

I reinstallled motherboard chipset drivers, dx9c, catalyst drivers (latest) all windows updates are installed

I ran it again and this time I got much further in 3dmark05 - and was getting better framerates - however I am now getting this error

"cli.exe common language runtime debugging services

application has generated an exception that could not be handled

process id=0x98(152), thread id=0xa8(168)"

Anyone knwo what this refers to?

Man... I was sure I had it sorted when it went past where it crashed first time - now I'm REALLY depressed....

• Advertisement

It's probably your ATI drivers as the cli.exe is complaining that an application has trown an exception which wasn't handled. ATI's drivers are .NET capable so I'd say that somewhere in their code they are trowing an exception and it's not being handled......bad programmers ATI! Well what you could try to do is to reinstall the .NET runtime framework and then the drivers ( uninstall them first ). If that still wont work look for some old ATI drivers I think anything up and including 4.9 Cat will be OK. IIRC it was 4.10 that introduced .NET support. Make sure your .NET is version 1.1.

Nice one offler - I read about the.net options alrite so updated all of them, including patches

Its actually running now - I used the windows driver for the 9800 Pro, rather than the CAT or the standard ATI ones

I'm now getting 2347 in 3Dmark05!! Previously (before Raid 0) I wsa topping out at 1997

I'm inclined to try the catalyst ones again.... just can't leave well enough alone!!

Is there any other drivers that run well for the 9800? I'm suprised the latest official ones are causing me problems...????

It looks like it was the order in which I installed thing that was the problem - I've just installed CAT 4.10 and I'm getting 2465!!

CAT 4.11 here I come!

2495 with CAT 4.11

Let the overclocking commence!!

Good to hear :D

• Advertisement

I feel sick...

It's crashing again - first got the catalyst error while playing games - then got blue screen and system shut down on me

HAve reverted to the windows driver - gonna test it on games now for a while....

Suggestions?

catalyst me arse - stable now using win drivers...

New 4.12 Beta drivers are out, they appear to increase Half Life 2 performance and fix a few bugs - they may work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gumsy

Hi, King Jerk i was just wondering how you sorted the D3DERR_devicelost error you were getting 'cos i've just put in a new processor and motherboard in my comp and i'm gettin the same error mesage on the 2nd 3DMark05 test. It also crashes about 2-10 mins after i start playin games like CS:S.
    I've tried reinstalling my motherboard drivers and i've installed about 3-4 different Radeon 9800 Pro drivers, including the default windows one.
    The best i've got it to is using the latest CAT driver, with this, instead of crashing immediatly after the test has loaded, it now gets about 1/3 of the way into it.
    All i wanted to do was get a better 3DMark score!! :mad:
    i was getting about 2300 with AMD XP 1800+ and my 9800 pro, so hopefully i shud get a big improvement with this amd64 3000+ :cool:
    ...if it ever works

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

New 4.12 Beta drivers are out, they appear to increase Half Life 2 performance and fix a few bugs - they may work.
    I was thinking of installing these, do they offer any preformance increase??? Is anybody using these???

alrite gumsy - updating windows including patch for microsft.net v1.1 seemed to do the trick - now running cat 4.11 - not playing a whole lot of games and just had a crash on COD.... just a fuzzed screen and dropped out of the game, so not the same hassle as before... bit hassled as prior to my reisntall never had a single crash - all the hardware changes might be having some influence, but the MS.net update seems to be fairly crucial.....?????????

Advertisement