Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Pro Upgrade

• 14-11-2004 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

I’m looking to get a *cheap* copy of Windows XP Home or Professional, the cheapest version I can find is XP Pro Student Edition Upgrade (here for £64.49, or €63.88 including my £20 gift voucher) , the only problem being that I don’t own another copy of windows to upgrade from – if I was to buy a cheap OEM copy of Windows 98, could I use the XP upgrade and wipe out all evidence of Windows 98 existing on the comp? It sounds good in theory, but if it isn’t a “clean install”, then I don’t think it’d be worth the hassle, given the trouble I’ve had with 98 in the past.
    I've got a "copy" of XP Home that came with my Dell computer, does anybody know if this Dell version of XP home (it's more of a backup CD than anything else - it wont install on other computers) would work with the Windows XP Pro Upgrade?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

upgrading is never a great idea, im sure if your a student you could ask some of youfriends in college for the "loan" of a copy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yes, because warzing is something we want to see promoted on the computer boards...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ARGINITE wrote:
    upgrading is never a great idea, im sure if your a student you could ask some of youfriends in college for the "loan" of a copy!!!
    AFAIK if you upgrade an OEM product the original terms still apply, ie. it's non transferrable. If you wanted to be 100% legit you could look for a copy of windows on Ebay to up grade from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

with 2000 upgrade, the upgrade CD was bootable from a cd with full 'win32 dos' installation, but it asked(during start of setup) to insert your 'Qualifying product' into the drive, which it duely checked, then instructed you to put back in 2000cd, and off she went, no mention of it ever again.
    It also was happy with a copied cd of win98 cab files afai remember
    hth

Advertisement