Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a german version of linksys wrt54g router work fine here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Should be no problem - these are international standards and all these pieces of equipment are made in the same factory. Power plug will be different that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

The web interface might be in German ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

email linksys and ask. I got my SMC home router from jes because they were about €60 cheaper than somewhere UK / Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I would personally say it would be far to efficient to be of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Thanx for the replies, Im just after sending off an email to them.

Ye the power plug wouldnt be a problem as long as its their usual 2 pronged plug. With regards to it being too efficient, well its the only router that does what i need it for at the moment. The web interface will probably be the problem, and I asked about that in the email and is there any way it can be flashed or something to english.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 badvlad

" a thing called xlink kai, its a kind of free version of xbox-live for modded xboxs"

Eh........NO

I have a have to disagree with what your post implies. It's not a "free" version of xbox-live. It's tunnelling software that allows xboxes to play the system-link elements of the game over the internet. It doesn't have the features LIVE offers gamers. It has nothing to do with having a modded xbox either. Anyone with a standard xbox and a pc with broadband can play. Your post would give anyone who read it a totally wrong impression of what KAI is really about. In future have more consideration for the developers, moderators, and users of KAI.

U can get wrt54g uk from itdirect.ie 82 euros.

However I recommend going for the wrt54gs its got 35% faster wifi.

As for language. U are going to have to upgrade your firmware anyway to have kai running in the router, so language will not be a problem as the kai version firmware will be in english.

check out
    www.openwrt.org for more info.

VLAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

take a chill pill :) , i didnt say it was a free version of xbox live did I ? i said KIND OF, and Im sure anyone who was interested in it would find out for themselves what it exactly is. And tbh, thats the way I've heard it described many times b4 even if its a bad description. I never knew it would work with an unmodded xbox, as I always hear XBMC and Avalanuch mentioned. So Im learing more about it myself!

I ordered the router from jes.de anyways, so hopefully the kai firmware is out by the time i receive it.

Of couse u did not say that it was a free version of xbox live. When u said "Kind of like free version" u made a comparision between xbox live and KAI. I disagreed with your comparision/definition of what kai is.

"Im sure anyone who was interested in it would find out for themselves what it exactly is."
    I'm not so sure I would agree with you there. You seem interested in KAI, seeing as you've gone out a bought a wrt54g, yet you thought KAI would only work on a modded xbox.

Your post seemed to suggest some sort illegality about KAI. I only corrected you because your were wrong. No one likes to be criticised, but when you are wrong you should have the courage and strength of character to take it on the chin and admit it.

Now I'm off to smoke a "chill" cigarette.

VLAD

badvlad wrote:
    No one likes to be criticised, but when you are wrong you should have the courage and strength of character to take it on the chin and admit it.

I agree, you stupid nonce ;)

Baz_

P.S. I think somebody needs something a little stronger than a chill cigarette

Baz, I'm sorry that you decide to bring name calling to the thread. To me that kind of logic reflects a weak mind.

• Advertisement

*Sharp intake of breath*

You've wounded me vlad...

you've wounded me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Cut out the bìtching please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Probably too late now ...... but be aware that these linksys devices are NOT ADSL routers.

They have an ethernet port for the WAN and are intended to be connected to a cable modem or adsl modem and NOT directly into the telephone line for DSL.

Fine if that's what you are after, but you will NOT be able to connect to ADSL without additional equipment.

(You may well have picked up the necessary modem for free as part of one of the free trial offers.)

Advertisement