Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking trucks and vans in an estate

• 14-11-2004 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon people. Dunno if this is the best forum to ask this or not, but could anybody tell me if it is illegal to park commercial vehicles in residential areas? There's a house on my road who have at least two large vans and often a small lorry and they basically leave them overnight anywhere they can find space, including outside my house which I am not pleased about because that's where I like to park my cars, obviously. I tried to speak to the driver of one of these but he is apparently Eastern European and did not/ would not speak English. I don't particularly want to start any sort of fight with my neighbours because we all have to live here either way, and besides, there seems to be at least three large males living there who don't look very friendly. It is particularly annoying because they come and go at all times of the night, I'm often woken at 4 in the morning by someone revving a van, and sleeping is probably my favourite thing in the world after girls and beer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

if theres no '3 ton limit' signs posted, then yer sfuked and they can do as they please...

but ya can always ring coppers annonomusly(sp?) and say ya think they're using trucks to smuggle in immigrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I've got that problem too. A bloke from round the corner about 20 blocks away parks his truck accross from our house. Lots of people have phoned the gardai because it blocks the view up the road and it's very dangerous part to drive along, but our local gardai dont really give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You need to get a 3 ton limit put in. Have a word with your local councillor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ring your local council, there's often restrictions on parking commercial vehicles in residential areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

depending on the size of the truck I know the council will act on a complaint in an estate where ii isnt specified if its a 3 ton limit or not. This happened in my mams estate - a guy was parking a massive artic truck though which nearly took up the whole road!

worth giving the council a ring definitley on this on but not to sure what dept it would fall under - sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was a guy who kept parking an artic cab on the road into our estates. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that the road is already overflowing with residents parking their cars on the road, and he insisted in parking at a junction, obscuring people's view when pulling out.

It only lasted about two weeks though and in that time he kept parking in different positions, none of which were any better than the last, so I assume someone kept complaining, and he stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Didn't see that other thread, thanks for the link Victor. I don't mind one or two vans being there once they aren't in the way, I'm annoyed that they seem to be running a mini-haulage business outside my house in the middle of the night. I guess I should start by speaking to a councillor or TD and see where that gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

my mate had a problem with neighbours parking a truck outside his house. he politely asked them to move and the discussion turned nasty they broke in to his house and arrived up to his bedroom in the middle of the night with iron bars and threatened his life. apparently they were in some sort of dublin drug ring.

needless to say he moved house shortly after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

They really should park their trucks down the docks or in a secure area if for no other reason than a artic truck can cost up to and above 100,000 euro the smaller trucks and vans arent cheap either so its just not worth the risk of them being damaged tbh also i remember when my dad had to bring his truck's home because the car was in the garage or he was heading out very early in the morning kids used to play on the back of it big risk if one of them got hurt no one ever complained about the truck being there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Do some tyre slashing...middle of the night job, every tyre...mucho expensive damage, attach a little note...they'll understand that!!!

Its all those a**holes ever understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

my dad parks his truck out side our house and our nextdoor neighbors. she doesnt mind it being there at all but i can understand how on a vital piece of road it can cause problems. where ours is its in a cul de sac and its 5 houses from the end of the street.
    you are aloud park your truck out side your own home its your vehical but if its causing a problem go to the driver if you ask him reasonably to alter his spot because its caused you and others problems he should move it to a more conveniant place. but if he doesnt go to your comittee(if you dont have one call around to your neighbours and ask them how they feel then take a signed petition and go to your councle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Theres a chap across the road from me who must be some contractor or something and he parks his forty foot articulated truck just on the side of his house!....he's been doing it a while so i dont think anyone has complained beasically because it aint taking up anyone else parking space!Mind you, if they were parking it in front of your house i'd complain allright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

On a slightly related topic.....

Does anyone else besides me get *really* annoyed by people who think that they own the public road outside their house? You know the ones.....bins/bags/sticks/cones on the road outside their house because *they* reckon they're entitled to park there. Some news people - IT'S A PUBLIC ROAD; *anyone* can park there - you do not own it!!!! I even know of one person who was parking outside a neighbour's garden and had a note left on the car saying that the house owner "considered the roadside part of his property"!!! When he ignored the note, his car was mysteriously keyed. When we moved to a new house last year, my girlfriend parked outside a house (this street had no gardens, i.e. they opened straight onto the road) until she had notes left by the people in the house. The funny thing is, they didn't even own a car! Maybe their view of the road was blocked??

If people's view of the road etc. is blocked then fine, complain/scratch away, but I cannot understand this 'my house - my road' mentality. I live in Cork and you see parking spaces 'booked' *everywhere* around the city. Can these people actually be reported to the Guards for blocking a public road?

Does anyone else besides me get *really* annoyed by people who think that they own the public road outside their house?
    Actually, some people, even many people do own the road in front of their properties, especially on older streets and in rural areas where ownership extends to the centre of the road. However, they do not have possession of the road and cannot exclude others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Want to clear up something if anyone knows?...if you have your path dipped outside your driveway then is it illegal for anyone other than yourself or someone you know to park outside it or even have the nose of the another car not known to you going past your Pier illegal..?....

My mams house has no front garden and it belongs to the house,its like a string of coronations st type house with a huge path.they own that part of land which was a garden before any of us was born.And constantly people park outside or even under her window...now that would get up anyones nose.What if the car went on fire right beside my mams window.....

i think i went astray there for a bit :D ,so onto my question is it illegal to park outside a house if path is dipped?

mad m wrote:
    Want to clear up something if anyone knows?...if you have your path dipped outside your driveway then is it illegal for anyone other than yourself or someone you know to park outside it or even have the nose of the another car not known to you going past your Pier illegal..?....
    It’s illegal to obstruct a vehicular entrance.
    My mams house has no front garden and it belongs to the house,its like a string of coronations st type house with a huge path.
    How huge?
    they own that part of land which was a garden before any of us was born.
    Are you saying the front gardens have been paved over and have become part of the footpath and the boundaries have been removed?
    And constantly people park outside or even under her window...now that would get up anyones nose.What if the car went on fire right beside my mams window.....
    How close is “under her window”?
    mad m wrote:
    i think i went astray there for a bit :D ,so onto my question is it illegal to park outside a house if path is dipped?
    I don't think it has anything to do with being dipped, merely that you can't obstruct an entrance, which means you can't park on the road in front of a vehicular entrance and well you're not meant to park on the footpath anyway. If there is no footpath in front of the house, then I imagine a reasonable position would be that you can't park within "X" distance of the door where "X" is the width of the door. And obstructing windows would also be out.

http://www.dublincity.ie/traffic/camera/park_leg.htm
    Other Parking Restrictions
    It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users, for example:
    * On a footpath (either partly or wholly).
    * Within 5 metres of a junction.
    * Within 15 metres on the approach side or 5 metres on the other side of a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights.
    * Obstructing any entrance for vehicles except with the occupier's consent.
    * At a school entrance.
    * On a grass margin or median strip.

Advertisement