Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

break open the piggy-bank lads HALFLIFE 2 IS HERE

Options
  • 14-11-2004 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Thats right theres reports flying around all over the interweb of online stores sell the new HALFLIFE 2 EPIC ...so get those fingers and thumbs to the gym and give them a good work out cos your going to be addicted to this MONSTER of a game .....for the reports doing the rounds doom 3 is doomed...
    they have said that the copies " Will Require Internet Activation First "so i wonder how the warez heads will get around this one "not that i condon such acts"
    Anyhow now is the time to upgrade the ageing 32mb TNT OR 128 RAGE PRO ...GO ON get down to your local credit union and get yourself one of those fancy new nvidea or ati 900x-ultras things or what ever they are called ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

..... why, the minimum specs are less then doom tbh

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Min specs = lowest spec possible to run the game, just as long as your happy enough with it looking like the first halflife on 10fps.
    I've had to b0ne the pretty graphics down so far in CS:source that it actually looks worse than the original CS does... and I still don't get my old CS fps.
    Pfff, my machine isn't that bad really... XP2600@2.1GHz/768MB/Radeon9600pro... it runs UT2004 just fine and dandy with high settings all 'round.
    And tbh I wouldn't be bothered upgrading to any of the crap that's around at the moment... you just know these hardware manufacturers are sitting on some sweet cpu/gpu that could run HL2 at 300fps with all the bells and whistles, but nooOOo, they're going to milk it, give it to us in stages, drag the technology they have now out for the next two years... and charge near to a grand for a smelly craphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

im all good to go..pre load done..now i sit and wait :D

ViperVenoM wrote:
    im all good to go..pre load done..now i sit and wait :D
    Same here, I was all excited until I started playing CS:source though... if this is any indication of single-player HL2 performance... I'm not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is hardly something new, the release date been known for a while now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

ya thats the point its been a long wait about 2 years ...so in other words ...WE WANT IT NOW... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

SantaHoe wrote:
    you just know these hardware manufacturers are sitting on some sweet cpu/gpu that could run HL2 at 300fps with all the bells and whistles, but nooOOo, they're going to milk it, give it to us in stages, drag the technology they have now out for the next two years... and charge near to a grand for a smelly craphics card.
    Ye Nvidia and ATI are in cahoots.....that's so obvious all this trying to undermine each other business is just for show :rolleyes:

Well I have a P4 3.0 Ghz, Gig or Ram and a 64 meg card, doom ran at a decent frame rate. I assume halflife will too, I'm not too bothered, if it's ****, I'll upgrade ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

dubdvd wrote:
    ya thats the point its been a long wait about 2 years ...so in other words ...WE WANT IT NOW... :p
    WAY more than 2 years buddy, since the original halflife was out. I got CS:source to run at 1280x1024 everything full except AA at 90fps, so i dont think HL2 is gonna be a problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

November 16th folks, assuming you bought it on steam like I did. For the rest of you I assume it will be this Friday.

• Advertisement

It's out in shops on Tuesday I thought.... well play have shipped my copy, should be here tuesday

John

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cina wrote:
    November 16th folks, assuming you bought it on steam like I did. For the rest of you I assume it will be this Friday.
    It's a world wide release on tuesday.

the cheapest place i've seen it is smyths €39.99 and 10% off with software zone card.

prob is ive still got bits to do on GTA:SA...im gonna be torn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Pfff San Andrea of HL2, I know what i'd be playing. I told ye the release date nearly 2 months ago before it was officially announced but the thread disappeared. Hmmmm.

BloodBath

Tuesday it is, ive ordered an extra 512meg ram , man i just hope its here b4 i get HL2, also gonnna do a vcore mod before i play it so i can get to 3ghz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Tuesday it is, ive ordered an extra 512meg ram , man i just hope its here b4 i get HL2, also gonnna do a vcore mod before i play it so i can get to 3ghz

And fry your chip and mobo hours before the game is unlocked leaving you to watch coronation street while you wait for new parts to arrive.

BloodBath

Mybe true, but i'll never kno until i try, ive been talking to some overclockers in the uk about safe voltages and expected speeds etc, it should be fine, HOPEFULLY, on phasechange the FX-51 is safe up to 1.92Vcore @ about 3ghz stable, granted it will shorten the life to only a few years, but i dont use my system 24/7, infact i havnt used it much at all recently, waitin for parts etc, and researching stuff for it, i have a few ideas :D

Ye Nvidia and ATI are in cahoots.....that's so obvious all this trying to undermine each other business is just for show :rolleyes:
    Maybe it's all staged, maybe both companies are owned by the same evil shadow-group... prancing around to give us the illusion of choice.
    And if compettition is so fierce, how come there are no notable price-wars and card prices have esculated to close to a thousand euro? ... price fixing anyone?*
    Bring back PowerVR and 3dfx I say!

*Blatant unfounded conspiracy theorizing, disregard at will.

BloodBath wrote:
    Pfff San Andrea of HL2, I know what i'd be playing. I told ye the release date nearly 2 months ago before it was officially announced but the thread disappeared. Hmmmm.

BloodBath

well yes i know which id rather be playing but i cant just "drop" SA..anyways the main storys done now i can set aside a few weeks for HL2 ...just gonna get the new ati drivers and ill be waiting tomorrow morning!!!..shame ive gotta go to uni at 8:45 :(

least ive got a 3hr break at dinner time..so i can rush home!..and prob not go back in the afternoon :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just as well you don't have Halo 2 and aren't waiting for the upcoming Metal Gear Solid Games.

• Advertisement

MGS doesnt really interest me and dont get my started on Halo 2..im still trying to figure what the hype is all about :rolleyes:

i have...got my hands on some other games now :o ..not mentioning any names of course but now im bloody torn !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Won't get to play the game till I go home later, but CS:S bench ran at 90-something fps at 1280x1024 with AA on so i'm not worried.

Btw dubdvd, does your sig need to be that big (and bright)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

koneko wrote:
    Won't get to play the game till I go home later, but CS:S bench ran at 90-something fps at 1280x1024 with AA on so i'm not worried.

Btw dubdvd, does your sig need to be that big (and bright)?

*I tell ya I wish my GF would post something like that

*not meant to be sexist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

SantaHoe wrote:
    Min specs = lowest spec possible to run the game, just as long as your happy enough with it looking like the first halflife on 10fps.
    I've had to b0ne the pretty graphics down so far in CS:source that it actually looks worse than the original CS does... and I still don't get my old CS fps.
    Pfff, my machine isn't that bad really... XP2600@2.1GHz/768MB/Radeon9600pro... it runs UT2004 just fine and dandy with high settings all 'round.
    And tbh I wouldn't be bothered upgrading to any of the crap that's around at the moment... you just know these hardware manufacturers are sitting on some sweet cpu/gpu that could run HL2 at 300fps with all the bells and whistles, but nooOOo, they're going to milk it, give it to us in stages, drag the technology they have now out for the next two years... and charge near to a grand for a smelly craphics card.
    Thats odd man.
    I've: xp2500 @ 2.22Ghz; 512 RAM; 9500 Pro; and I get up to 200fps in HL2 (800*600, HIGH settings, no AA), and up to 125 in CS:S (tho obviously not in a firefight, drops to about 65, which is hardly bad considering the spec).

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Thats odd man.
    I've: xp2500 @ 2.22Ghz; 512 RAM; 9500 Pro; and I get up to 200fps in HL2 (800*600, HIGH settings, no AA), and up to 125 in CS:S (tho obviously not in a firefight, drops to about 65, which is hardly bad considering the spec).
    Thats pretty good mate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

daveg wrote:
    *I tell ya I wish my GF would post something like that

Get her to PM me and I'll train her up so :)

just for the record..this game rocks! and theres a lot of place im getting 100+fps in 1280x1024 max AA AF and detail :eek:

ok it goes down to 40-45 when im outside in a huggeee place with mass fights and what ever..but it doesnt slow down so...weee! :D

Is it true that HL2 prefers ATI graphics cards??? I havnt played it yet, dont believe in paying 40-50 for cd's or dvd's or downloads :D

seems to

ive seen benches of the 6800le /6800 even! struggling to pull away from a 9800xt in it!

and i think in these benches the XT PE was something like..130fps in so and so conditions and the 6800 ultra was 110 or so and so

seems like we are indeed getting revenge for doom :p ..even though i dunno if doom really DID play any better on a nvidia all i know is it sucked on mine :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I thought Doom sucked, too linear. Not really my type of game. I ran it on an oc'd fx5200 and it ran fine. i cant wait to see what fps i can get my oc'd x800, i run it at 570 core, stable, should be good though it only has the 12 pipes :(

Advertisement