Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunter S. Thompson

Options
  • 09-06-2001 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I just finished The Rum Diary and Hells Angles and I have to say I am really impressed with both books they have been the easiest books to read hells angels took me one day to read. i'm going to go out an buy all of his other books.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

As far as I know the Rum Diary was written years ago when he was nought but a young fellah but was only published in the last few years. I picked it up last year and must agree it is very enjoyable.

Overall Thompson himself thinks that Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is his best work although Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is probably his best known.

I'm the Dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

I have to say I hate him. His admiration for Hells Angels who pull the teeth out of a waitress head with pliers is a perfect example of the guys white trash attitude.

He is a master self publicist and tremendus fiction writer, little else about him stands up to scrutiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Yeah Hunter is excellent get Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Great Shark Hunt they're two of his best imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

there's a pretty gd version Fear & Loathing available as an audio bk - not the film soundtrack (which has dialogue on it), an actual adaptation of the bk.

the clinton bk is worth reading, as are the various colelctions (shark hunt is the best). i think you need to be a real fan (or have a lot of spare time) to tackle both vols of letters.

of em all though the campaign trail stuff is his best, v focussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 spider45646

just picked up fear on loathing on the campaign trail and the great shark hunt, both are highly recommended and great exmaples of his gonzo journalism style. plus he doesn't profess admiration for the hells angels in the end. he believed they were getting bad press and decided to hang with them to see what they were really like.admittedly he does get on well with them and defends them on occasion his final remarks that they are like animals and quotes from joseph conrads heart of darkness displaying his fear and dislike of them.

"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

• Advertisement
Advertisement