Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying ps2 slimline in the US

Options
  • 14-11-2004 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I am considering buying the new ps2 slimline when i visit the states.

Is there any compatibility issues using a stateside version in IRL?

Can i expect much of a saving?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Well a US pstwo won't play european/australian games for a start since the US is on NTSC and europe is PAL. Also I presume they have different power requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

also would the saving be worth the effort on a €150 purchase. You wont have a warranty either afaik. No shop will touch it and if you get it chipped to play european games it will have to be opened which will invalidate any warranty you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The external power supply that comes with the PStwo is universal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

As well as requiring US/Jap games for it, you'll also need a NTSC capable telly which although they can be got, are pretty damn expensive.

Really you're saving little to nothing. €149 here, $149 there. 30% saved but at the expense of peace of mind, game availability and that TV I mentioned...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

But the ability to play Katamari Damacy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As well as requiring US/Jap games for it, you'll also need a NTSC capable telly which although they can be got, are pretty damn expensive.

A load of BS. If you have a new TV that's decent quality you should have no problem playing NTSC games on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Fortune

And you wont need a modchip either. You can just play foreign games using the same trick you used when playing them on your psx. If you cant remember, just go do a search for it, and you will find tonnes of resources on how to do it.

Also you can use SwapDisks, and other methods of playing your games, without having to open your PSTWO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Retr0gamer wrote:
    A load of BS. If you have a new TV that's decent quality you should have no problem playing NTSC games on it.
    That's a pretty big 'if'. The majority of the time you'll end up with a B&W picture or a rolling picture due to the differing refresh rates. You can get adapters I suppose but as I said in my other post, what saving are you really making?

Advertisement