Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Probs with Ripwave this weekend?

• 14-11-2004 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

For the past week, I have had green lights on my ripwave box. Then since Saturday afternoon, bang wallop, I have a flashing red light. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

ripwave has been giving me all sorts of heartache this weekend, instead of always on internet access, it has been more often off than on internet access, when it is on it has mostly been as broad as renee zellweger (post bridget jones). I'm gonna give them a call to complain on monday but I'm not expecting much more than a simple fob off, ****ing annoying as hell.

Baz_

P.S. In general I've been pretty happy with my ripwave since I got it, so it's not all bad

P.P.S As an example of how flaky it is this weekend, I am now on my third attempt at posting this reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was away for the w-e but came back this evening. Flaky as hell.

Which masts are you on?

three rock, think thats the same as yours ballooba, I know it went down for a large portion of friday evening until saturday morning sometime, pain in the (insert preferred profanity here) tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Acerferrari3200

Up and Down more times than a B.Jones Nickers......! ....for most of Saturday & Sunday..... !

Had a constant Yellow all last week.(base station 140 ) thanks to my Tinfoil reflector ....but have been switching between base stations all weekend . I see from the IBB web site that they have now installed a new High Site at Odlums mill down the docks ( Breaze only )wish they would add ripwave pointing west at this site .. I am based on Pearse Street so at the edge for both RTE and Guinness Towers.

Can only hope and wait ,,,maybe one day I will see Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I'm working off the RTE mast (living in Clonskeagh). Have just despatched an email off to IBB asking if I will ever be able to depend on this form of internet connection.

Last week, I read a thread from a chap in the Booterstown area also working from the RTE mast - I'd love to know if he is also experiencing problems (the closest person I know with Ripwave to my house).

All of this is a bit ironic as last week I was singing the praises of Ripwave to one and all. I just hope that no-one ordered on my recommendations !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

How do you know which mast you are working off?

I rang and they told me, I'm just assuming that they weren't lying, but then again I am at the bottom of the three rock mountain, so if they had me on any other mast I'm sure I'd feel the difference.

Baz_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Read the threads from other ripwave users, its a nightmare guys, i am an ex user due to it being ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

......Had a constant Yellow all last week.(base station 140 ) thanks to my Tinfoil reflector ....but have been switching

Hmmmm......more info on your tinfoil contraption squire!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Yeah, I'm on the edge of the reception area in Pearse street and yesterday my signal was all over the place. Do tell us more about your tinfoil mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

The_Edge wrote:
    Hmmmm......more info on your tinfoil contraption squire!! :)

I have just built my tinfoil squire today too. :D

I heard someone talking about one last week so i said...why not!

My internet has being dire all weekend too . Yet it has started to
    improve in the last hour.

I will insert my personal antenna in a few minutes and see will the
    connection speed up a bit.

Yes!! My tinfoil antenna improves the speed and here is the improvement:

Tinfoil%20Antenna%20data%20rate.jpg

I think that is an improvement of about 8k/sec.
    It also changed my modem from a orange led to a constant green. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

I'm using ripwave in Lenords Corner form the Guiness 2 Mast. I've had it for approx 2.5mths. During this time it was on/off all the time. On for 8hrs off for 3; on for 2 her off for 4 ect ect. I had to stick with it as it was better than nothing.

I was going to go with those eirheads in eircom but as I didn't have a phoneline installed in my flat they couldn't tell me whether it was available to me; I would have to get the line installed first and then they would tell me!!!!!!!!! If it wasn't avail, my tough luck. Modern Ireland, indeed!

However last week Ripwave went down altogether. I phoned IBB CS, the guy took the serial no of my ripwave modem and said an engineer would do something at their end. Personally, I though this was a fob off but it hasn't been too bad since. Sometimes it goes off for 2/3 mins and back on again but thats all.

One of the CS people told me to do this:

Go to START, RUN, type: cmd . DOS type window will pop up.

type: ipconfig

your ip address should come up. It should start with 62.231.xx.xxx

If it dosn't type: ipconfig /release

then type: ipconfig /renew

and hopefully you'll be back online.

hope this helps!

I heard people do this but I've always thought it was madness....maybe not?!
    Did you just wrap some tinfoil around the antenna?

I might give it a go now meself.....

The_Edge wrote:
    I heard people do this but I've always thought it was madness....maybe not?!
    Did you just wrap some tinfoil around the antenna?

I might give it a go now meself.....

I will throw up a few pics later.

Its basically an enclosure directing all the signals in towards
    the ripwave modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

What data transfer meter did you use their shiny?

ballooba wrote:
    What data transfer meter did you use their shiny?

I'm using netlimiter.

Get them pics up! ;)

ok here the are

here is the thing from behind.
    Basically it is a baking tray with one end chopped off.
    DSC00961.jpg
    This one is the modem sitting in the reflector.
    As you can see I covered the front of the baking tray with foil and
    the sides of the tray conviently direct the signal towards the
    modem.
    I think the green signal light can be seen in this pic also. :D
    DSC00963.jpg
    Here is a clearer shot of the setup. The sides focusing the signal
    are more apparent in this pic.
    DSC00964.jpg

Enjoy ;)

sorry about the size, couldn't be bothered fixing them

I'll give that a go and post back if there's an improvment.

That netlimiter is a great little app too :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

:D

That's brilliant, Shiny! Technology at its finest. I reckon IBB should start packaging a roll of bacofoil and a roasting tray in with the modem.

I'll give it a go tonight. I wonder will you get a better signal with a 40inch roasting tray :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Tazz T wrote:

That's brilliant, Shiny! Technology at its finest. I reckon IBB should start packaging a roll of bacofoil and a roasting tray in with the modem.

I'll give it a go tonight. I wonder will you get a better signal with a 40inch roasting tray :p

Yo Tazz, let us know how you get on. If you works for you too, I'm definitely doing it!!

Tazz T wrote:

I wanna see pics !!! :p

My antenna is still absorbing information quite efficiently.

Advertisement