Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need ideas for C++ program

Options
  • 15-11-2004 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I have an assignment in c++ in which I have to write a program on a topic of my choice to implement various basic c++ concepts such as abstract classes, templates, virtual methods etc.

However, we can't use any of the following as the basis for the program:
    Bank accounts
    Personnel structures
    Vehicles/cars
    Geometric shapes

Sadly this rules out every kind of application my limited imagination can produce.
    Can anyone suggest anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Video / DVD Rental Store system

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Timesheet system

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

OFDM wrote:
    I have an assignment in c++ in which I have to write a program on a topic of my choice to implement various basic c++ concepts such as abstract classes, templates, virtual methods etc.

However, we any of the following as the basis for the program:
    Bank accounts
    Personnel structures
    Vehicles/cars
    Geometric shapes

Sadly this rules out every kind of application my limited imagination can produce.
    Can anyone suggest anything?

Would Personnel structures not rule out "Timesheet system" and "Video / DVD Rental Store system" as they would both need these structures to run correctly?

Why not try a very simple game like Connect 4, or X's and O's.

I don't know, his post is unclear as to whether or not he needs to use these. It made more sense to me that he'd have to learn how to use them rather than avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Evil Phil wrote:
    I don't know, his post is unclear as to whether or not he needs to use these. It made more sense to me that he'd have to learn how to use them rather than avoid them.
    What I posted is the sum total of what we've been told. The application necessary need not make perfect sense when including all the programming point needed to be implemented. We also can't do any sort of account, not only bank accounts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Sounds like a lecturer bored with the normal project ideas... Is there marks for originality?

However, we any of the following as the basis for the program
    Sorry, you've left a bit out here (must use or can't use), I've made an incorrect assumption. How about a gif to jpg converter? Or something that tests the latency of a modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

We did a rabbit breeding simulation in C ... completely arbitrary breeding algorithms and no real care as to rabbit sex (i.e. a rabbit could breed with all rabbits!) but in C++:

Rabbit is an Animal
    You could implement several different breeding algorithms

That should be enough to see where you could start and as a programming problem it is trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I'm Still saying that a game is the way to go, Remember games like draughts and chess aren’t really about Draughts or chess its about AI. AI at the minuet is crap, and doesn’t really work; you could try some of your own algorithms if you’re felling adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Agree with Jessy (and not just because we share the 3D Homer Avatar) - writing your own game is the way to go. That's what got me interested in programming in the first place. You'll get a kick out of it and a very simple game can demonstrate all the OO concepts and facilities you want. Moreover, nobody is going to play with your bank account simulator, but everybody wants to try out your most basic game. There's a certain thrill in seeing people actually use your code.

I did an OU Java course a couple of years ago and one of the projects was to write a client/server Xs and Os game. The client would connect to the server which would pair up players and transmit the moves between them. It wasn't terribly difficult, but everybody went to extreme lengths to make their client interface the slickest etc. Simple game, but very enjoyable to implement + demonstrated lots of OO and networking concepts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Evil Phil wrote:
    Sorry, you've left a bit out here (must use or can't use), I've made an incorrect assumption. How about a gif to jpg converter? Or something that tests the latency of a modem?

Yea I was thinking that too. An internet tool. How about a packet watcher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

Have a look at Conway's Game of Life. It's fairly easy to implement and very interesting to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Evil Phil wrote:
    Fixed (there should have been a "can't use any of the following" in there).

Advertisement