Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teeth Whitening

• 15-11-2004 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm getting my braces off soon and would like to whiten up my teeth once they're off. I always had crap teeth so I'd like to make the most of them now!
    I am thinking of saving up and getting them professionally done but it is very expensive.
    Can anyone recommend a good whitening toothpaste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

It will cost you about €400, the dentist takes a mould of your teeth and then gives you a gum shield type thing with these special gels that you put in your gum shield and wear at night. Makes a big difference. Had it done a few months ago and people allways compliment them now. If that hasnt made a huge difference you can do a "Power boost" which is done in the dentist, same Idea but 40 mins intensive in the dentists chair. better immediate results but can fade away after a while. Thats about €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I started using Pearl Drops Smokers toothpaste about a month ago and I've noticed a big difference, they're not quite the alabaster white that you see on boy band members etc but they're a lot whiter than they used to be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

http://www.smilewhite-ireland.com

Excellent stuff - really cheap as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

are these teeth whitening products not meant to damage your teeth? :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea prices seem really cheap on that site
    if one was to buy the delux one(30 applications)
    would that be used for 30 days continusely and that would be the the cycle finished?
    has anyone ordered off them and used them before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Yeah I did, got it through dentist, but its the same stuff. Worked well, everyone noticed the difference. I spoiled myself with them after giving up smoking, of course Im back on them now, wasting the money I spent on whitners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Lenny wrote:
    Yea prices seem really cheap on that site
    if one was to buy the delux one(30 applications)
    would that be used for 30 days continusely and that would be the the cycle finished?
    has anyone ordered off them and used them before?

You're supposed to use it about 2/3 times a week, and wear the gumshield overnight, so 30 applications should last 10/15 weeks. I ordered off them before, stuff took a week or so to arrive. They recommend that you top it up every 2/3 years so you wouldn't have to keep using it the whole time, and it made some difference to my teeth. I'm like this fella now >> :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

joejoem wrote:
    It will cost you about €400, the dentist takes a mould of your teeth and then gives you a gum shield type thing with these special gels that you put in your gum shield and wear at night. Makes a big difference. Had it done a few months ago and people allways compliment them now. If that hasnt made a huge difference you can do a "Power boost" which is done in the dentist, same Idea but 40 mins intensive in the dentists chair. better immediate results but can fade away after a while. Thats about €200

how long does this last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

These procedures seem kind of extreme. Why not go to your dentist for a deep scale and polish instead? That's what I do, and I use a battery powered toothbrush (one of the cheapie ones from Argos). I see a marked difference since I started using it, around 10 months ago.

Besides, haven't you seen the episode of "Friends" where Ross gets his teeth whitened? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Akrow

I am a dental student myself, and we don't tend to recommend whitening toothpastes. People don't seem to understand that teeth aren't always meant to be pearly white. Some people can have yellower and redder teeth, some people have grey teeth.

Whitening toothpastes contain elements that are deposited into your teeth, and in doing so weaken the tooth structure. In the long run, you'll end up eroding them microscopicly, and increasing the susceptibility to tooth decay.

I would suggest going to see your dentist and getting a scaling and polishing. Or even register with the Dublin Dental Hospital in Trinity College and have it done for 1/4 the price. Then get instruction in oral hygiene and make sure to keep brushing and flossing daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Akrow wrote:
    Or even register with the Dublin Dental Hospital in Trinity College and have it done for 1/4 the price.

sounds good, but i just had alook at the website and it seems you have to meet certain criteria

Yeah.. but all that kinda goes out the window in January when the 2nd years start their treatments. Then they'll take anyone who goes in and asks, pretty much. Finding patients can be a real battleground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Akrow wrote:
    Finding patients can be a real battleground.
    yikes.... just had a scary mental image of 20 dental students crowding into my mouth to get at my molars while two of them have a lightsabre battle over my inscisors with drills :eek:

nah seriosly i might give it a try, dentists are bloody expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Akrow wrote:
    I am a dental student myself, and we don't tend to recommend whitening toothpastes. People don't seem to understand that teeth aren't always meant to be pearly white. Some people can have yellower and redder teeth, some people have grey teeth.

Whitening toothpastes contain elements that are deposited into your teeth, and in doing so weaken the tooth structure. In the long run, you'll end up eroding them microscopicly, and increasing the susceptibility to tooth decay.

Jebus crisps! What about the whitening stuff the dentist uses? Are they safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

Surely the dentist will polish up your teeth when he takes off the brace, and it costs well, nothing. I didnt even ask for it to be done, he just got that machine and scrubbed away the stains from the brace and walla, white sparkling teeth. Then its upto you to keep em white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Will the staining be bad when I get my braces off?

neev wrote:
    Jebus crisps! What about the whitening stuff the dentist uses? Are they safe?

Actually, no, they aren't safe, per se. They have the potential to cause chemical burns, and weaken your teeth. Which is why dentists dont do it anymore.

Bleaching is actually outlawed by EU regulations after scientists claimed the hydrogen peroxide bleach used in the procedure is too concentrated and could damage teeth or gums.

The only bleaching done on teeth is on non-vital teeth (say, after a root canal treatment). For orthodontic therapy, you won't be able to get your dentist to whiten them.

Strangely enough, though, the at-home bleaching kits are still on sale. I guess dentists just aren't going to risk getting sued, but we're still perfectly happy to let you go home and do it yourself. Makes perfect sense to me, really, not allowing dentists, who generally know what they're doing, to bleach teeth, whilst forcing some self-conscious teenager, who mightn't know his/her arse from his/her elbow, to self-apply a potentially dangerous chemical irritant to the inside of their mouth.

This world has gone mad... when you think about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

meepmeep wrote:
    http://www.smilewhite-ireland.com

Excellent stuff - really cheap as well
    I wouldn't recamend this company. I ordered one off them months back and still haven't received it.
    I've sent a few emails and was told in the last one "my husband is very sick and I will dispatch yours in a few days" this was weeks ago. sent another email - no responce...
    Any suggestions on what I should do? Should i contact my cc company and tell them to reverse the charges?

Well anyone any idea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Akrow wrote:
    Actually, no, they aren't safe, per se. They have the potential to cause chemical burns, and weaken your teeth. Which is why dentists dont do it anymore.

Bleaching is actually outlawed by EU regulations after scientists claimed the hydrogen peroxide bleach used in the procedure is too concentrated and could damage teeth or gums.

The only bleaching done on teeth is on non-vital teeth (say, after a root canal treatment). For orthodontic therapy, you won't be able to get your dentist to whiten them.

Strangely enough, though, the at-home bleaching kits are still on sale. I guess dentists just aren't going to risk getting sued, but we're still perfectly happy to let you go home and do it yourself. Makes perfect sense to me, really, not allowing dentists, who generally know what they're doing, to bleach teeth, whilst forcing some self-conscious teenager, who mightn't know his/her arse from his/her elbow, to self-apply a potentially dangerous chemical irritant to the inside of their mouth.

This world has gone mad... when you think about it.

its not really illegal for a dentist to bleach teeth,thats my understanding of it anyway. it is illegal to supply a dentist with a product specifically designed for bleaching hence most supplied products arent branded and merely state 'hydrogen peroxide,' its up to the dentist to do what he wants under his ethical guidelines and best practice. as far as i am aware like anything bleaching has risks and benefits. if done carefully in the correct cases there is nothing unethical about it. thats the jist of it. i think the reason was it having something to do with being a cosmetic medical product.

whatever it is anyway, no one will be prosecuted and i dont think certainly the GDC in the UK cares and nor does Dental Protection as they havent mentioned it to my recollection in their 'risk matters'

also consider bleaching-if this was unethical, then surely 50 plus percent of the orthodontic treatment carried out in private practices is also unethical as it is *purely* cosmetic.and no one says anything about that nor will they

by the way good luck with looking for patients :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Lenny,

Write them a Formal letter requesting that they send you your product as they would be in breach of contract otherwise, then you can request a refund.

to the whitening thing.

most of the whitening creams, take off a layer of you teeth, and stain the layer white,
    doing this once or twice is supposed to be okay, allthough it is always depending on the teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Akrow wrote:

I would suggest going to see your dentist and getting a scaling and polishing. Or even register with the Dublin Dental Hospital in Trinity College and have it done for 1/4 the price. Then get instruction in oral hygiene and make sure to keep brushing and flossing daily.

what's a deep scale?
    My teeth have always been prone to decay and are not the best which really sucks for self confidence approaching women... but I gave up smoking 2 months ago - if I keep using a good toothpaste, any chance they'll improve much over time??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I could recommend a thing or two but clicky clicky I'd be banned!;) teehee

LadyJ wrote:
    I could recommend a thing or two but clicky clicky I'd be banned!;) teehee

are we back on *that* subject again? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

pearl drops work well for a natural clean white colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

My dentist done mine and their freakishly white. It was dont with some some laser thingy, Took ages getting it dont and i was on a waiting list for weeks..........
    Still tho, Ya Gotta Love The Medical Card!!!!

*PING* :D

My dentist done mine and their freakishly white. It was dont with some some laser thingy, Took ages getting it dont and i was on a waiting list for weeks..........
    Still tho, Ya Gotta Love The Medical Card!!!!

*PING* :D

freakishly white in a good or a bad way? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

who007 wrote:
    freakishly white in a good or a bad way? :cool:

In a good way... No like not "Mammy whats wrong with that man's face?!?" kinda white more, "My god he much brush his teeth every hour since the day he left the womb" kinda white!.

No seriously tho just normal "Cleb" white. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Ive tried loads of stuff before and no cigar,

to be honest the cheapest and most effective option Ive come accross is Colgate IcyBlast 2 in 1 whitening toothpaste.

pearl drops arent really that good. too-white teeth are creepy to be honest.

• Advertisement

bug wrote:
    Ive tried loads of stuff before and no cigar,

to be honest the cheapest and most effective option Ive come accross is Colgate IcyBlast 2 in 1 whitening toothpaste.

pearl drops arent really that good. too-white teeth are creepy to be honest.

yeah, I tried Pearly drops but no - go!
    Is Colgate Icyblast really that good? :cool:

In a good way... No like not "Mammy whats wrong with that man's face?!?" kinda white more, "My god he much brush his teeth every hour since the day he left the womb" kinda white!.

No seriously tho just normal "Cleb" white. ;)

That sounds great - except I dunno if I could get it done cos I have front fillings - i.e. fillings on the front of a couple of my teeth... which are tinted to blend with my teeth - if my teeth were to be suddenly celeb white, the fillings would not look the best... but I presume this laser thing might have different levels that maybe I could just get my teeth kinda half whitened?? Anyway - what's the procedure called? I think I'll look into it.... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Undercover guy
    any chance you could post your dentists name please amd number if you have it I wouldnt mind finding out a price or two.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ariadne_187974

I've had mine whitened at Snow White Smiles (snowwhitesmiles@gmail.com) and it cost me €290 - much less than other places quoted me, and I found them great.

Happy sparklin' : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭RS6

Ariadne wrote: »
    I've had mine whitened at Snow White Smiles (snowwhitesmiles@gmail.com) and it cost me €290 - much less than other places quoted me, and I found them great.

Happy sparklin' : )

Yup same here.

Got great results and I had pretty bad stains - smoking and coke being the main offenders but they came up great and as the above poster said a great price at €290.

The best thing was that they operate out of the spa in David Llyod Riverview so it was well handy.

PM me if anyone wants contact numbers etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

anyone have any feed back on the website above ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

This thread is from over 4 years ago.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I got that new Pearl Drops 'Instant White' stuff, you just brush it onto your teeth and it lasts the day or until you brush.. I find it quite good, have to be careful putting it on though as it can look a bit dodgy if you overdo it... it's only a tenner, grand if you're going somewhere that there's going to be loads of pictures taken.. *ping* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

xzanti wrote: »
    I got that new Pearl Drops 'Instant White' stuff, you just brush it onto your teeth and it lasts the day or until you brush.. I find it quite good, have to be careful putting it on though as it can look a bit dodgy if you overdo it... it's only a tenner, grand if you're going somewhere that there's going to be loads of pictures taken.. *ping* :D

And it's not likely to cause you any damage? Cos I'd be defo interested in this :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

I just have 2 questions for the resident boards dentist!:

1. http://www.whitesmileclinic.ie/FAQ.html#Q5
    - Is this really true and

2. If i have a false tooth which was tinted to match the colour of my teeth when i was much younger can they control it to match that colour?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

And it's not likely to cause you any damage? Cos I'd be defo interested in this :):D

I don't see how it could tbh, it's just a coat that goes on your teeth, comes off fairy easy with brushing too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

White Smile Clinic does laser teeth whitening in cork and dublin for 250 euro, tis worth checking out it is meant to be one of the ways to get teeth whitened :D

http://www.whitesmileclinic.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

rockchik wrote: »
    White Smile Clinic does laser teeth whitening in cork and dublin for 250 euro, tis worth checking out it is meant to be one of the ways to get teeth whitened :D

http://www.whitesmileclinic.ie/

Ok has anyone actually been to the white smile clinic?!
    I asked in Dental Issues and didn't not get a very good response. The name has been cropping up everywhere and they seem very good value for mioney, but is there a catch? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Just wondering if anyone has tried getting porcelain veneers as an alternative to bleaching and if so what is the result? Is it a (pricewise and availability) viable choice.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Veneers are 400>500+ per tooth, and require ur real teeth be filed down

But thats more for people with very bad teeth, like, chipped, uneven dark stains etc

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Hey!

Does anyone know roughly how much a deep scale and polish costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

cazmcco wrote: »
    Hey!

Does anyone know roughly how much a deep scale and polish costs?

http://www.smiles.ie/home_nav_6.html

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Thats not to bad of a price!!!

Thanks again!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Iv been using ''Brilliant White'' teeth whitener! You can buy it in most chemists and after 2 weeks your teeth are really really white! Whiteness Lasts for a few months and its only €13.50, its a double ended brush , one side is the accellorator and the other side is the whitener. Simply brush on side one and then the other and leave dry for 30 secs, doesnt brush off either! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

im booked in to get my teeth laser whitened on saturday, do i need to get them cleaned by the dentist first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Bendihorse wrote: »
    im booked in to get my teeth laser whitened on saturday, do i need to get them cleaned by the dentist first?

I'm puzzeled. Did the dentist not explain all this at your initial consultation?:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement