Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpaid PAYE Refund

Options
  • 15-11-2004 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Now I have done a search and found plenty o' threads about claiming tax back for rental allowance, health expenses, unemployment etc. reasons however I have a slightly different set of circumstances.

-=-=-=-=-=-

I was abroad travelling for the first six months of the year. Income during this period was in the region of E500-E600 max. When I came back I thankfully got my job back.

As such I will be paying tax (PAYE) for approx. 6 months only. Can I claim a refund for overpaid tax, seeing as I haven't been a burden on the state for the first six months of the year and won't have exhausted my tax free allowance over these six months??

If yes how do I go about it, there is fup all info on the revenue website...

Cheers....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

You have to wait until the end of the tax year (Dec) and just send in your p60 and the tax office will work out how much dosh you're due back. Doesn't usually take too long for them to organise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Cheers Mr. Dent ... that sounds so easy... well hopefully it will be a nice new years bonus....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

rental allowance, health expenses, unemployment etc. reasons however I have a slightly different set of circumstances.
    this part you can claim, if you haven't claimed already.
    As such I will be paying tax (PAYE) for approx. 6 months only. Can I claim a refund for overpaid tax, seeing as I haven't been a burden on the state for the first six months of the year and won't have exhausted my tax free allowance over these six months??
    Assumming your employer has a certificate of tax credits, you are already paying less tax as your credits are being bunched into the latter half of the year.

Remember to declare the money earned abroad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Victor wrote:
    Assumming your employer has a certificate of tax credits, you are already paying less tax as your credits are being bunched into the latter half of the year.

Yup I got a new cert for 2004 issued in July however I am paying the same tax / have the same nett pay as I would have expected under normal circumstances (i.e. employed for the full year) ... so I think I am overpaying.

Cheers for the help, will throw in the P60 to the revenue after christmas and see if anything comes of it.

Advertisement