Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy from Ebay?

Options
  • 15-11-2004 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I want to buy a Nokia 7610 from Ebay. I could buy one here for about €550, but I could buy one off Ebay for about €350.

I was wondering, do English made mobile phones work here?
    Is there anything I should look out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Make sure it's not locked to a particular network. I bought a Nokia off a dude here on boards a while ago, it was an orange phone that came from the UK and it was fine. As regards ebay, remember that the feedback system cannot be trusted as neg feedback can be removed quite easily when a complaint is dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I bought a phone for a mate of mine recently off Ebay. He paid approx E150 and the phone never arrived. I would make sure your 100% sure about the person first. Also use paypal as there is payment protection (check the auction listings to see if it is covered).

The payment protection isn't worth much, they cover their ass but make it extremely difficult to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

FX Meister wrote:
    The payment protection isn't worth much, they cover their ass but make it extremely difficult to get your money back.

I disagree. If the seller has good feedback you are covered quiet well (Hence my rule not to buy from anyone who does not have good feeback). If there feedback is not so good your covered with standard payment protection. I'm in the process of filing for payment protection for my mate. I have found the process quiet easy - if not a little slow.

More info on payment protection here.

Having said that I have found eBay to be full to the brim of crooks and scammers. It is unreal how many con artists in one form or another sell their stuff one there. I would not buy anything unless I was 100% (or as sure as you could be) they, and the goods, were legit.

But the seller might have good feedback due to the majority of his negative feedback being removed. If you get fake/counterfeit goods you need to get a independent assesment of the item which can be costly and not worth it for smaller items, and then they take about a $20 charge to process it and you don't get you postage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭spahndirge

Thanks for the information everyone.

So what I am looking for is an unlocked phone, that should work fine.

As for concerns about who I buy it off, it's kind of difficult to find out if they are trying to scam people. I think I'll try and buy from a power seller with 100% good feedback (even though feedback is no good indication).

Thanks again :)

Advertisement