Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas Crushing / Suffocating

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

ando wrote:
    I love my car

hahaha I'm with you.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My dad and I went in on the red line at about 2pm on Friday from the Red Cow - going in was fine, we both got seats. However when dad was going back to collect the car at 4.30pm firstly the time of arrival kept on changing - dad and I were joking about the time warp effect...then when the Luas finally arrived it was so tightly packed that I was seriously worried about him. My dad is an OAP - I know that he does not look his age but they need to have more frequent Luas at certain times of the day - there was another platform full of people wanting to get onto the Luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

...On my route which takes 40-60mins I'd say I get a seat 1 in 10 journeys.

So drive to a station higher up the line.

I get the bus, and in order to get a seat, every morning I walk in the wrong direction to the first stop, just to get a seat. That takes 12 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

vector wrote:
    So drive to a station higher up the line.

I get the bus, and in order to get a seat, every morning I walk in the wrong direction to the first stop, just to get a seat. That takes 12 minutes.

In the morning that would mean driving about 20 miles in the wrong direction. Which isn't an option. However I do that in the evening, I get the dart in the wrong direction and go two stops down the line. Takes about 15 - 20 mins. Assuming the Dart isn't delayed. However this rarely gets me a seat. To go even further up the line would mean leaving work 30 mins earlier. So I just stand. Now add the time it takes to walk to the station in the first place, and be their 10 mins early in case the train comes early. Your talking about 20-40 mins added on to my journey even before I get the train.

So somedays I drive since that only takes me 35-60 mins, and is pretty much consistent. Unlike the train where it can be 5 mins early to 40 mins late. But I hate driving these days and often I get a lift which is why somedays I get the train.

But its not right that you should be jammed on to a train everyday. Have to say I catch so many bugs on the train, colds flu's etc. Partly because of the proximity to everyone jammed around, you. The other reason because your cold on the paltform, then in a sauna on the train, (no room to take off coat) and then cold walking home afterwards.

Basically the train sucks.... :(

I should add that in 10 years the service hasn't improved, and the overcrowding is only slightly worse. 10 yrs ago quite often they would put you in the baggage car which is like a cattle truck, no heating, bare wooden boards and nothing to hold on to. They haven't done that to me in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I said "seemed to be". If you're not then fine. :)
    I wasn't

I don't see how employing and extra 5 or 10 staff would raise the cost of the Luas that much. Personally I've never seen overcrowding anywhere else in the world like I see here on the trains almost every day. I'm sure its bad in Tokyo and parts of the 3rd world. But this is Ireland for cripes sake.

i dont see how 5 to ten people would be enough

4 people per train i dont know how may trains they have but already their staffing level for each train would have quadrupled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

10 yrs ago quite often they would put you in the baggage car which is like a cattle truck, no heating, bare wooden boards and nothing to hold on to. They haven't done that to me in a while.

Thats because the carriages you are referring to (Cravens) are no longer used on Dublin Commuter services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

enterprise wrote:
    Thats because the carriages you are referring to (Cravens) are no longer used on Dublin Commuter services.

I wondered why I hadn't seen them in a while....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Lorcan26

i was coming back from a cork/wexford match in the summer, i got on the luas at stephens green, and i had people squezzing up against me, and little kids rolling around on the floor around me. drove me mad. i felt so ill on the way back to ranelagh.i nearly threw up on the thing, it justs gets so hot in there. ive been on the tube a few times, and ive never felt that bad, not even in summer! bearing in mind, i was standing whilst on the tram. would that account for anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

... Have to say I catch so many bugs on the train, colds flu's etc. Partly because of the proximity to everyone jammed around, you...QUOTE]

You know... I use to think that that was nonsense, but I must agree now.
    People coughing, plus (and lets be frank) many people of the lower classes who have a propensity towards disease.

• Advertisement
Advertisement