Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Magpies!!

Options
  • 15-11-2004 2:32pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I recently planted a load of flower bulbs in the garden, & covered the flower bed in bark chippings.
    Lately, several dodgy looking magpies are paying daily visits to dig up the bulbs & eat them.. What to do??????
    They dont seem to understand the obscenities I've shouted at them as they keep coming back. Any suggestions??

TIA,
    2Poc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

only deterrent for magpies in the garden is netting covering the beds. they will find a way in if there are any gaps.

don't shout or make a fuss, it only encourages them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

you could try mixing needles through the soil covering the bulbs, ...but thats a bit extream.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if it was me, i'd invest in an airgun as magpies and rats are the only thing i'd shoot, i've seen the small bird population in my area destroyed by magpies, when i was a kid loads of house sparrows lived in our garden in Cabra, we had bird houses etc, the magpies hunted em all out, now all we have is magpies and cats. I got a loan of an air gun and had one shot, it was funny cos it was on a roof and it was a cat about to attack the magpie, but he still got away. gave the gun back, it was too dodgy really, i've heard of a harrison trap but dont know if they are allowed or what they look like, as far as i am aware (and i'd checked it out for my father a while back) bar killing - there is no way to get rid of magpies, they are with us to stay- and they are getting even better at living in our citys and towns, like rats with wings really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Felicitys

What ever solution you find to eliminate magpies - I would like to know of - as things can only get worse and WORSE in the magpie area.

What lies ahead for you is an invasion of your house - my own experience was that the summer of 2004 was a constant magpie challenge. One made its way through the french doors - survived a couple of Jack Russells to end up in sitting room. A couple of weeks later a close relation of same magpie - hopped calmly up the stairs - again surviving the dogs - to make its way to the shower.

I and the dogs are now on constant magpie alert and attending winter classes on magpie murder methods.

And clearly - the word gets round the magpie community that the inside of the house is worth discovering - so as I said at the outset - things can only get worse! Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

try finding one under yer duvet of yer unmade bed!! *shudder* never again will i leave bedroon window open!

i recommend puting loads of old spring type mouse traps in the chippings, if nothing else the noise will scare em, but ull need a good few

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get some crows. But prepare to be woken well before dawn.

Advertisement