Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio Ferdinand and Booking's

• 15-11-2004 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this warrants a new thread but I found it fascinating.

In Ferdinand's 2 season's at Leeds he played 54 Premiership games (started all) and was never booked or sent off.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=8940

Woodgate got 6 bookings in 27 games over the same 2 seasons.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

I wouldn't go as far as fascinating. But anyway what does it matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

roar_ie wrote:
    But anyway what does it matter

I think the fact that he is "World Class" defender and he never gets booked is a bit worrying considering that most of a defender's job consists of putting in tackles and the law of averages would suggest that in so many games he would at least pick up more cards.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Eirebhoy = Statto

Nothing to do since Fantasy football went off air.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

BaZmO* wrote:
    I think the fact that he is "World Class" defender and he never gets booked is a bit worrying considering that most of a defender's job consists of putting in tackles and the law of averages would suggest that in so many games he would at least pick up more cards.

B.

i think you will find that if you have good placement, you dont really need to make last ditch tackles.

KdjaC wrote:
    Eirebhoy = Statto

Nothing to do since Fantasy football went off air.

kdjac

LOL. :D

Very true!! Although Eirebhoy will probably tell you that out of the 64 posts that you have made over the past 5.2 weeks, 69.8% of those posts have all been rebuttals to his posts about the other 30.2% that you posted in the After Hours and Personal Issues Forums, thus given you a Mean Ratio of ................................ ;)

B.

• Advertisement

i think you will find that if you have good placement, you dont really need to make last ditch tackles.

I think you will find that "if" my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle! But that aside, as I've said already you would imagine that if he was putting in a high amount of tackles he would invariably pick up the odd card here or there.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

roar_ie wrote:
    I wouldn't go as far as fascinating.
    Find me another centre half that went 54 premiership matches without a booking, never mind in the 21st century where refs are booking players for tying their bootlaces.
    But anyway what does it matter
    It doesn't matter at all, I opened this thread for the craic. Jaysus, work it out for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

It does seem a strange and odd statistic!

But Rio has allways been a good and clean tackler in my opinion!Used to be a defender myself and i rarely fouled someone!some people just have good timing and positional sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, so he goes so many games without getting booked, fine.

It's a good stat for the player, I'm sure he's very proud of his non-booking record.

There's no need to get bitchy about it though.

seansouth wrote:

It's a good stat for the player, I'm sure he's very proud of his non-booking record.

There was absolutely no point in roar_ie posting his post in the first place and IMO doesn't deserve a decent reply. All I was posting was a stat I heard on TV that I found interesting and I'm sure others did too. There's no need for roar_ie to virtually tell me the thread is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

you do if other players make mistakes............jesus some people here must never have played the game .

Big Ears wrote:
    you do if other players make mistakes............jesus some people here must never have played the game .

i play the game just fine. im obviously a better reader of the game than you though.
    but then again, i dont see why if you are making tackles they have to be ones you get booked for.

but then again big ears, its not uncommon for you to much stupid posts is it.

with regards the statistic for no bookings, did gary lineker ever get booked for club or country?
    im thinking that he didnt.

Trigger! wrote:
    Used to be a defender myself and i rarely fouled someone!some people just have good timing and positional sense!

I think a big reason for this is standard .I would never foul a player while playing in my own league at times I could go on runs of 10 games with conceading 2 fouls , but when I would play in the nationel cup (whats effectively the FAI cup for the younger age groups) , I would make a lot more fouls , and the main reason is pace as the standard goes up so does pace , and the dificulty to time tackles. Quick feat is another thing , players at a higher standard have much quicker feat and this results in more fouls . This is why there are more fouls and cards at higher levels , and why it is more astounding that Ferdinand did not pick up a card .54 games :eek: .

i play the game just fine. im obviously a better reader of the game than you though.
    but then again, i dont see why if you are making tackles they have to be ones you get booked for.

but then again big ears, its not uncommon for you to much stupid posts is it.

with regards the statistic for no bookings, did gary lineker ever get booked for club or country?
    im thinking that he didnt.

Gary Lineker never tackled , you probably never played at a high level and much stupid posts dosen't make sense. Im sure make is the word you're looking for .

I agree with the bookings thing though , only ever picked up one yellow myself .

and is this becoming a contest of who is the better player or something ?..................cause its me ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

seansouth wrote:

And there was no need for the crap reply he got to what is a valid post for the soccer forum. There appears to be an element creeping back on to soccer that prefer having a snide dig at various users rather than add anything constructive to the discussion.

Back on topic

I was surprised his diciplinary record was so clean. Ferdinand is a quality player that does not need to foul to do his job properly. That's why United paid a world record fee for him.

Big Ears wrote:
    Gary Lineker never tackled , you probably never played at a high level and much stupid posts dosen't make sense. Im sure make is the word you're looking for .

I agree with the bookings thing though , only ever picked up one yellow myself .

and is this becoming a contest of who is the better player or something ?..................cause its me ;) .

no.

i think you will find i am the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

BaZmO* wrote:
    as I've said already you would imagine that if he was putting in a high amount of tackles he would invariably pick up the odd card here or there.

B.
    You would imagine, or maybe he just puts in good tackles and doesnt get booked. From my memory Rio very rarely goes to ground, he is more of a reader of the game and his physical presence makes it easy for him to pu thimself between player and ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

one time i scored a goal from 40 yards away
    therefore i'm better

p.s. it was an og

PHB wrote:
    one time i scored a goal from 40 yards away
    therefore i'm better

p.s. it was an og

Well I played for North Tipp , played in the last 16 of the nationel cup , was on a shortlist of 4 players to get picked for Ireland trials from that North Tipp squad but they could only send 2 , and I hit the post from 40 yards playing against Limerick county(the rebound was tapped in) .Oh and I have countless North Tipp league and Cup winner and runners up medals .

None of these achievements are at senior level , but im still young , supposedly as young as Freddy Adu :rolleyes: , who by the way recently won the MLS with DC United .

So may I say to all beat them achievements .(Why do I get the feeling someones going to be either an Irish U 21 or youth internationel ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

you obviously didn't read my post i scored an o.g. from 40 yards away.
    Thats fairly impressive, much more so than that if you ask me.

One time when I was 11 i was captain of a team that won the division of my local team, then I got bored and started playing cricket, then tennis, then table tennis, then poker, now snooker :)
    my highest break so far is 47 so :D

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    you obviously didn't read my post i scored an o.g. from 40 yards away.

I read it alright...........and then I laughed , well you're better than me at snooker .:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

He's lucky his record is still intact, after he he bundled Freddy Llungberg over at old Trafford a few weeks ago....

A defender without a booking? Lacks commitment say I....

King Jerk wrote:
    He's lucky his record is still intact, after he he bundled Freddy Llungberg over at old Trafford a few weeks ago....

A defender without a booking? Lacks commitment say I....
    He has a good few bookings, read the post again carefully. :)

BTW - I don't think anyone would pay that price for a centre half who lacks commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Sami Hyypia went a whole season without a booking, a couple of seasons ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"You would imagine, or maybe he just puts in good tackles and doesnt get booked. From my memory Rio very rarely goes to ground, he is more of a reader of the game and his physical presence makes it easy for him to pu thimself between player and ball."

This is it exactly, just because you do not get bookings does not mean you lack commitment or not a class defender.
    In fact it could be his high level of ability to read the game, his pace, his physical strenght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

eirebhoy wrote:
    Find me another centre half that went 54 premiership matches without a booking, never mind in the 21st century where refs are booking players for tying their bootlaces.

It doesn't matter at all, I opened this thread for the craic. Jaysus, work it out for yourself.

Gary Pallister went his whole carrer with only a couple of bookings.

Sposs wrote:
    Gary Pallister went his whole carrer with only a couple of bookings.
    Soccerbase has his appearances from 95/96 onwards:

95/96 - 3
    96/97 - 5
    97/98 - 6 (+ one red)
    98/99 - 5
    99/00 - 6

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=6080
    :)

eirebhoy wrote:

95/96 - 3
    96/97 - 5
    97/98 - 6 (+ one red)
    98/99 - 5
    99/00 - 6

Touché!!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:

95/96 - 3
    96/97 - 5
    97/98 - 6 (+ one red)
    98/99 - 5
    99/00 - 6

Jesus it is Statto ! ;)

• Advertisement

Chrikey, that says Boro paid £2.5m for Pallister when they bought him back for ManU when he was basically finsihed. They only sold him for 2.3m!

I was right with Hyypia not getting a booking one season. His yellow card record is:
    98/99 - 2
    99/00 - 2
    00/01 - 0
    01/02 - 6
    02/03 - 1 + 1 red
    03/04 - 1
    04/05 - 1
    barring 01/02, thats an extraordinary record

eirebhoy wrote:
    Find me another centre half that went 54 premiership matches without a booking

Sami went 87 games, including 57 premiership games without a booking for Liverpool in the 22 months between January 2000 and October 2001 :D

Now, back to work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Perhaps Ferdinand only plays home games :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Chrikey, that says Boro paid £2.5m for Pallister when they bought him back for ManU when he was basically finsihed. They only sold him for 2.3m!

I was right with Hyypia not getting a booking one season. His yellow card record is:

barring 01/02, thats an extraordinary record
    Well £2.3m for a defender when you are a div 2 (just up from div3) club selling to a top team in div 1 in 1989 - that was good money back then!

£2.5m for a vastly experienced (if ageing and injury prone) defender in 1998 (when transfer fees were really starting to take off) wasnt a bad bit of buisiness at all.

Consider yourself rebuked :D

Advertisement