Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router/Switch setup

Options
  • 15-11-2004 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have four port router connecting to the net. The problem is I have 6 machines. :/ I have a 16 port switch and cable to another room where the switch will go (which has cables to the rest of the house)

Ok so I have a setup like this.
    Router 
     |  |  |
     |  |  \---------- Switch
     |  \---Machine 1   |  |
     \--- Machine 2     |  \---- Machine 3
                        \----- Machine 4,5,6

Just to be sure. Should there be any problem with this setup? Do I need to set something in the router or switch beforehand? Or something set up on the machines?

NetGear router and DLink Switch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Router 
     |  |  |
     |  |  \---------- Switch
     |  \---Machine 1   |  |
     \--- Machine 2     |  \---- Machine 3
                        \----- Machine 4,5,6

I dont see any issues with this at all.
    I have a similiar set up myself with Broadband_router --> switch --> all_downstairs_computers.

Connected to one of the switch ports is another hub in attic with more computers attached. All can connect to Internet.

I use manual ip addresses in the 192.168.0.x range.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Doesn't work :(

I plug them in but the switch doesn't register them. If I remove the router it works fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Are u using the uplink port on the switch, or a Xover cable between the switch & router

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Someone through PM suggested I set RIP to both. That doesn't work, actually stops other things from working.

Set that back. I don't have crossover going through the walls, I put the cable into the uplink port on the switch and click the button to say its uplink. That gets me lights on that but no lights on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

As you have a light on the uplink port, it's picking up the device at the far end (the router), is there a light on the corresponding port of the router?
    Yes - your link is good between the router & switch - connect a PC to the switch and all should work.
    No - perhaps your patching off your structured cabling is incorrect, and the uplink port on the switch is connected to a PC rather than the router.

When the PC's are connected to the Switch, are u getting active lights on the switch ports and can the PC's ping each other. If not - check your patching/

• Advertisement
Advertisement