Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake 2 euro coins

• 15-11-2004 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

You know those coins that are the exact same size as a 2 euro coin, have the same colouring and all that, except theyre not a 2 euro, but some other countries? Ive seen a fair few of them around, any time i get passed one, i just use it in a shop and they never realise its not a 2. How much is it worth in the country its from, and what country is it from. There could be someone buying a load of them and then passing them off as 2 euro coins.. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I've never noticed those coins, but I'm always getting US and Canadian 1 cent coins in my change. That's not too bad I suppose compared to a 2 Euro coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Thailand 10 baht works in smoke machines

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They wouldn't by any chance just be 2 euro coins from some other EU country ? You do know they count as 2 euro here too right ? :D:D:D

edit: put some smilies in so people know I'm just being a smart-arse and don't think the OP is an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Yeah i work in a shop and got a few of them. They could be old european coins, they looked spainish to me!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Came across one of those coins- definately wasn't a Euro coin- much lighter and slightly smaller than the real €2 coin. Can't rember much about it except that it had a mans head on it...which means that it could be from any little dictatorship.... just used it in the next shop I was in and nobody noticed. Didn't think it would make sense to counterfeit such a low denomination so it must be a legal coin somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

L5 wrote:
    You know those coins that are the exact same size as a 2 euro coin, have the same colouring and all that, except theyre not a 2 euro, but some other countries? :

I think that most are from Taiwan. they're virtually worhless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

worthless eh?

you could save a fortune by bringing a bag of them into the country. Theyre the exact same size and colouring as a 2 euro coin, and seeing as a lot of the other EU countries have a mans head on them, theyre VERY hard to spot.

Hmmmm..........interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

this?
    THAI10B2000MotherBisRv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

stevenmu wrote:
    They wouldn't by any chance just be 2 euro coins from some other EU country ? You do know they count as 2 euro here too right ?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

stevenmu wrote:
    They wouldn't by any chance just be 2 euro coins from some other EU country ? You do know they count as 2 euro here too right ?

thanks for letting me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's not the one you are talking about, but the old 10 franc coin is virtually identical to the 1 euro coin (although is actually worth more than 1 Euro).

tuxy wrote:
    this?
    THAI10B2000MotherBisRv.jpg

looks like that one, except i dont think there was an old woman on it. From further research , its the exact same size and weight as a 2 euro coin, and the EU knew about it , as its been out since 1989. Dead easy to pass them off in shops. Not that id condone that kind of thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I am MAN wrote:
    Thailand 10 baht works in smoke machines
    did everyone miss this post?! it's these coins! worth about 2c each, but going for much more on ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah people using them in the coke machines to get change aswell :>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

one of the old french coins is the same as the euro and works in machines and pool tables

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40717&item=3941316842&rd=1

look at this, selling 300 of them on ebay, bid is at 5 euro at the minute, if more people found out about this, they'd have to change to 2 euro coin to something different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

I got 1 in the pub last week it was a south african 5 Rand coin I think. Defo a 5 Rand not sure about country of origin tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Anybody understand the blurb? Google translates the last bit as:

"Please you place possible questions before delivery of a requirement. The article like that as it is sold of private. This means: With the delivery of a requirement you explain yourselves expressly in agreement to do without after new European Union right legally which is entitled guarantee/warranty with gebrauchtwaren completely."

which is not very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭marvin2k

L5 wrote:
    You know those coins that are the exact same size as a 2 euro coin, have the same colouring and all that, except theyre not a 2 euro, but some other countries? Ive seen a fair few of them around, any time i get passed one, i just use it in a shop and they never realise its not a 2. How much is it worth in the country its from, and what country is it from. There could be someone buying a load of them and then passing them off as 2 euro coins.. :eek:

yes ,I definitely have came across these coins they are a little skinnier and a little lighter but they definitely work to use them in shops , i was nabbed by a bus driver once though , I think they are Greek .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Haha I have loads of these at the moment. Was in Thailand over the summer brought back around 90 euros worth. Using them again on the weekend for the nightlink and the bus into town. I've also used them to get myself a pint and in the local spar in Carpenterstown. Have about 50 quids worth left, I plan on getting some lottery tickets with them. I've bought 4 already and havent won a thing! I did get caught once using them tryin to pay for my trainfair and they dont work in smoke machines.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote:
    Haha I have loads of these at the moment. Was in Thailand over the summer brought back around 90 euros worth. Using them again on the weekend for the nightlink and the bus into town. I've also used them to get myself a pint and in the local spar in Carpenterstown. Have about 50 quids worth left, I plan on getting some lottery tickets with them. I've bought 4 already and havent won a thing! I did get caught once using them tryin to pay for my trainfair and they dont work in smoke machines.

this is what i mean, if even a small amount of people start copping on to this, they'll have to withdraw them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Tunisian coins used work as 20ps and they were worth 2p or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

L5 wrote:
    this is what i mean, if even a small amount of people start copping on to this, they'll have to withdraw them. :)
    it was on the news a good while ago, so surely the powers that be know about it! the news report also said that vending machines were being changed so as to reject 10 baht coins... it looks like not many have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As far as I recall handing over fake currency is a criminal offense. Posting that you are doing it ranks a 9 on the stupid-o-meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

RasTa wrote:

As a matter of interest, if you noticed that you got one in your change would you go back and complain about it?

echomadman wrote:
    As a matter of interest, if you noticed that you got one in your change would you go back and complain about it?

someone handed me one where i work, i threw it back down at them and said, thats not a 2 euro. I think they were trying to pull a fast one on me... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have a good few Bahraini dinar coins from the alst time I was in the middle east. The 100 fills looks pretty much exactly the same as the €1 coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Thailand

the 2 euro looking coins are worth 20c, and the 1 euro looking ones are 10c. They even brought out a new 2euro looking coin that is closer to the european on.

Oh and welcome to last year, here that long at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Gideon wrote:
    Thailand

the 2 euro looking coins are worth 20c, and the 1 euro looking ones are 10c. They even brought out a new 2euro looking coin that is closer to the european on.

Oh and welcome to last year, here that long at least.

longer, i noticed when i got back from thailand back in 2002 (was there during the euro changeover), i got a few free games of pool in LITs game room out of my 60 baht.

deliberately bringing back 90 euros worth is taking the piss though, way to **** over small businesses there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hobbes wrote:
    As far as I recall handing over fake currency is a criminal offense. Posting that you are doing it ranks a 9 on the stupid-o-meter.
    It's not fake currency though... afaik if it's real money then the person who accepts it is just a moron for accepting it and they've no legal comeback. Probably works along the lines of places accepting sterling

echomadman wrote:

Nope i'd just use them in the buses like i have being doing

How am i ruinning small buisness's ? I've only used them on Cie and Spar and in a goldmine that is a pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

but they then give them out as change to unsuspecting punters and the merry go round continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Diese Münzen sind genauso groß und schwer und sehen der 2 Euro Münze sehr ähnlich.
    These coins are exactly as large and heavy and look very like a 2 euro coin.

Ich weise darauf hin, daß die Verwendung als 2 Euro Stück strafbar ist und dementsprechend gegen das Gesetz verstößt.
    I would like to advise you that the use of these as a 2 euro piece is illegal and you are liable to prosecution.

Die Münzen sind offizielles Zahlungsmittel in Thailand.
    These coins are legal tender in Thailand.

Sie bieten hier auf 300 Stück dieser Münzen, gebraucht und daher nicht unbedingt für Sammler geeignet.
    You are bidding here on 300 coins that are used and not necessarily very good for collectors.

Verkauf eher an eine Person, die in Kürze einen Thailandurlaub vor sich hat.
    The sale would ideally take place to a person going on holiday to thailand in the near future.

Die Versandkostenpauschale von Euro 4,10 als Päckchen oder Euro 6,70 im versicherten Paket innerhalb Deutschlands trägt der Käufer.
    The delivery charges are 4,10 as a normal parcel or 6,70 as a registered parcel, inside Germany.

Nach dem neuen Recht ohne Garantie, Umtausch oder Rücknahme.
    According to the new law, without guarantee, swap or return.

Beachten Sie bitte die folgenden Verkaufsbedingungen:
    Be aware of the following sale restrictions:

Bitte stellen Sie eventuelle Fragen vor Abgabe eines Gebotes.
    Please ask questions before making an offer.

Der Artikel wird so wie er ist von Privat verkauft. Dies bedeutet:
    The article is being privately sold. This means:

Mit der Abgabe eines Gebotes erklären Sie sich ausdrücklich damit einverstanden, auf
    nach neuem EU Recht gesetzlich zustehende Gewährleistung / Garantie bei Gebrauchtwaren völlig zu verzichten. Bieten Sie nicht, wenn Sie mit diesen Regeln nicht einverstanden sind.

If you make an offer you are accepting that you have no claim and are waiving your riht to EU law with regard to used goods. Dont make a bid if you dont agree to these terms.

If i go down i go down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

This was mentioned 3 years ago before the Euro came out, yous are so slow!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37772

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Blade wrote:
    This was mentioned 3 years ago before the Euro came out, yous are so slow! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37772
    All well and good, but not having seen any in the last few years, I've seen 2 in the last few weeks. They are a slightly different size to the €2 coin.

Advertisement