Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Professionals?

Options
  • 15-11-2004 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the going rates of a tiler, plasterer and plumber are per day? Presume its always best to price a job but would like to know?

Thanks

Redman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

I recently paid €14 per sq ft for a tiler, that is ex materials of course. and that seems to be the going rate

the plumbers seem to have a weird per job basis of giving quotes, not per hour or anything.....

and the plasterer we use is €100 per day. he is good, messy but good.

hope that give you and idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks for that guide price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Shouldn't that be €14 per sq. yd not per sq. ft. otherwise a tad expensive I should think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

what area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

The spred you are using must be on the social 100 euro a day is for nothing i am a
    carpenter and can tell you. You will not get 1 that is above board for less than 200 euro a day and at that you are doing well ?

• Advertisement

I am in Dublin and don't want to use someone who is also claiming. Want a pro who will do the job right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

my mate is a great plaster or on sites as carpenter puts it (spred)hehe..if you want his number drop me a pm....

cheers

painters make plasters and carpenters work look good anyway.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

My sister in law has just moved into a 20yr std 3 bed semi old house. Got a price from a guy yesterday to strip all the paper off the walls, re-paint the walls, all the doors, skirtings/architraves and replace all the door handles for €3250. I though this was a bit excessive. Any body else?
    I also told her that she might have to have the walls re-skimmed as there is no guarantee what state they will be in.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    My sister in law has just moved into a 20yr std 3 bed semi old house. Got a price from a guy yesterday to strip all the paper off the walls, re-paint the walls, all the doors, skirtings/architraves and replace all the door handles for €3250. I though this was a bit excessive. Any body else?
    I also told her that she might have to have the walls re-skimmed as there is no guarantee what state they will be in.

Lex to be honest thats not a bad price even to replace handles, i recently done a job up in rathfarmham,granted it was for a friend of family,it was whole 3 bed which had an extension plus attic conversion,everything was replastered except sitting room and all woodwork was replaced plus this price i gave was for outside of house...i gave a price of 3000euro plus whatever paint to be used...As matter of fact best place to get paint is down off Davitt road in fleetwood they have the new 10times tougher paint that dulux have came out with.Dulux charge 47euro for a 5litre can(gallon) where as fleetwood charge 30 odd euro and they will mix up whatever colour dulux have or anyone else for that matter.granted some might get it cheaper if they have an account there!

but getting back to original quote its not bad of 3250euro.....stripping can be time consuming especially if you dont know whats ahead!

forgot to ask is it the whole house to be stripped or just a room or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

that price I believe is for the whole house, although I haven't actually seen it yet, I'm guessing all the bedrooms, hall, stairs, landing & living room.
    I don't think it includes re-skimming the walls though and with the house being 20yr old and was very neglected, I can't imagine them being in great condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Consider lining paper, but 20 year old plaster should be sound.

20 year old house could be just dry lined and not even plastered...you wont know until the stripping starts.that quote i gave of 3000euro was just for painting and not plastering as plasters charged my friend 5 grand or so.And have to say they were the Dogs B****x at skimming,made my job easier...Well no matter what happens in stripping you always scrap lumps out of wall if paper is a pig to get off..

I am being quoted by one party just over €2,000 to do 33sq.m/354sq.ft/40sq.yrds of Marble Tiling

Estimated at about 5 days.
    I am supplying all the materials
    €400 a day/€60/sq.mtr seems a heck of a lot

I am being told that it is a considerable skill relative to ceramic tiling but at these rates it will be the dearest labour for any professional I have used on a job?

Any opinions.

Thanks!

i have a tilers number who i used to know on sites....will pm you his number if you want and see what price he gives you?...

Thanks Mad M

Update is I have a second quote at €1,800. So its getting lower but still seems very high.

Anyone have a standard rate for a Marble/Stone tiler?

I've been told the standard Rates of tiling are:

Ceramic €24 to €30 per sq.yd
    Marble/Stone €38 per sq.yd upwards

Anyone agree - comments?

Advertisement